Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-01 shutter issue

My K-01 shutter is stuck closed or almost closed.The hinge pin shouldn't be visible when the curtain is closed.Anyone have anything similar
happen with theirs ? I can use a toothpick and open it but nothing I've tried has changed any thing.I'm thinking the linkage to open/close it
is broken.I've tried a reset,changed batteries,cleaned contacts etc... I'm thinking about holding the curtain open and wedging something in the slot to
keep it open.Not sure if that would cause more problems though.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-31-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not 100% sure but this sounds like a case where the shutter mechanism would need replacement.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-01-2018, 07:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm not 100% sure but this sounds like a case where the shutter mechanism would need replacement.
Thanks Adam,You're probably right.I was hoping there was a workaround to make it usable.I've read of some K-01 users having their shutter stuck open,
which makes them still usable,just no protection for the sensor.
01-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The shutter is used unless you're in electronic shutter mode. Electronic shutter has some issues and isn't the best to use in all situations so you really need that mechanical shutter. It looks like you had a full-spectrum conversion done on your K-01 since the IR/UV cutoff filter isn't visible in the photo you posted. Could be something happened when that was done which damaged the shutter - looks like slight dimpling around the shutter hinge pins.

I would recommend a Pentax repair shop for a look-see. It might be cheaper to get a used K-01 than to have the shutter repaired/replaced. You might also shoot an e-mail to Isaac Szabo who does conversions. He's not into camera repair as far as I know, but he's familiar with the K-01 and might be able to offer suggestions. I had my K-01 done by him and he was really helpful throughout the process.

Isaac Szabo

Last edited by Bob 256; 01-01-2018 at 03:49 PM.
01-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
The shutter is used unless you're in electronic shutter mode. Electronic shutter has some issues and isn't the best to use in all situations so you really need that mechanical shutter. It looks like you had a full-spectrum conversion done on your K-01 since the IR/UV cutoff filter isn't visible in the photo you posted. Could be something happened when that was done which damaged the shutter - looks like slight dimpling around the shutter hinge pins.

I would recommend a Pentax repair shop for a look-see. It might be cheaper to get a used K-01 than to have the shutter repaired/replaced. You might also shoot an e-mail to Isaac Szabo who does conversions. He's not into camera repair as far as I know, but he's familiar with the K-01 and might be able to offer suggestions. I had my K-01 done by him and he was really helpful throughout the process.

Isaac Szabo
Thanks for the info.Not sure about switching between mechanical and electronic shutter with the K-01,the K-1 maybe.It hasn't had an IR conversion.I believe the cutoff filter would be behind the shutter curtains,so no it wouldn't be visible in the photo.Thanks also,for the email link,I may give him a try..
12-09-2018, 01:18 AM   #6

Hi All, I know this is an old thread but I just dropped in to say the same thing has happened with my K-01.

It started playing up a few weeks ago when the shutter would occasionally stay closed after taking a photo so the live view would remain black. Then today, during a shoot it started mucking up again and soon got to the point where it no longer opens no matter what I do.

Although about 6 years old, it's always been looked after and only had moderate use at most. Now all I get is a high-ptched ping sound when the shutter should normally open. At least the ol' trusty K20D is still going strong, although I swear the sensor noise gets worse over time. I guess it's finally time for an upgrade..