Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2018, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #121
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adjutant Quote
The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Pentax getting into the Micro Four Thirds business would be an excellent idea as a spiritual successor to the Q series. They could call it the QF! For Quarter Frame, which is what MFT really is, a quarter of full frame.

This is my day dream Pentax mft camera: Take the Pentax LX as the base design, magnesium alloy or composite body, mode dial on the left of the EVF hump, other dials on the right. Beautiful mini DA* and mini DA Limited lenses for MFT mount. Since it's a shared mount, people won't complain about not enough lenses from Pentax, and I'm sure other MFT users would go crazy to buy Pentax limited lenses for their non-Pentax body as well!
I would love to see this. There’s lots of excellent M43 glass, so Pentax would not have to come up with a full range straight away.
I currently use an Oly Pen EP5. It’s beautiful but the menu designers really need to talk to Pentax about how to do it right

08-27-2018, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mirrorless is such a great thing. A new mount is created in order the make the camera body slim. Then, an adapter (not free) should be added to make the body as thick as a DSLR in order to be able to mount your existing lenses. Wow, that's so smart. No, that's innovation! With your DSLR you had 1000 shots battery life without grip, now you got a thrid of that, you need to buy a grip just to get back to your old DSLR battery life. What the heck? No, that's innovation led by Sony! When you swapped lenses on your DSLR the mirror got the dust and any dust that made it through the mirror got stopped by the shutter that is normally closed on a DSLR, now with your new mirrorless when you change a lens, the sensor will be directly exposed less than 20mm behind the mount, you'll get dust spots on the sensor more often, don't forget to buy a sensor cleaning kit (in addition to of the mount adapter and the battery grip with 4 batteries). That's innovation. When you had your DSLR, the lenses where designed to work with the AF of your DSLR, now your mirrorless camera AF will eventually hunt fail to focus with the old glass, so you'll have to buy new lenses for the mirrorless camera (for using the lenses without the adapter). Go mirrorless you are back to square one with the system, you are good to scrap your dozen of lenses hard earned over the last decade, and now you have to start all over again... that's innovation.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-27-2018 at 04:38 AM.
08-27-2018, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adjutant Quote
The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Pentax getting into the Micro Four Thirds business would be an excellent idea as a spiritual successor to the Q series.

This is my day dream Pentax mft camera: Take the Pentax LX as the base design, magnesium alloy or composite body.
Pentax already tried a 13 x 17mm system like that:

08-27-2018, 05:13 AM   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Mirrorless is such a great thing. A new mount is created in order the make the camera body slim. Then, an adapter (not free) should be added to make the body as thick as a DSLR in order to be able to mount your existing lenses. Wow, that's so smart. No, that's innovation! With your DSLR you had 1000 shots battery life without grip, now you got a thrid of that, you need to buy a grip just to get back to your old DSLR battery life. What the heck? No, that's innovation led by Sony! When you swapped lenses on your DSLR the mirror got the dust and any dust that made it through the mirror got stopped by the shutter that is normally closed on a DSLR, now with your new mirrorless when you change a lens, the sensor will be directly exposed less than 20mm behind the mount, you'll get dust spots on the sensor more often, don't forget to buy a sensor cleaning kit (in addition to of the mount adapter and the battery grip with 4 batteries). That's innovation. When you had your DSLR, the lenses where designed to work with the AF of your DSLR, now your mirrorless camera AF will eventually hunt fail to focus with the old glass, so you'll have to buy new lenses for the mirrorless camera (for using the lenses without the adapter). Go mirrorless you are back to square one with the system, you are good to scrap your dozen of lenses hard earned over the last decade, and now you have to start all over again... that's innovation.
None of this matches my experience with the K-01.
For example, my Tamron 17-50/2.8 was hard to focus on the DSLRs of the day,
but landed right on the money with the CDAF in the K-01.

As for dust, on a DSLR it gets caught in the mirror mechanism,
and then somehow makes its way to the sensor when you shoot upwards.

08-27-2018, 05:17 AM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
As for dust, on a DSLR it gets caught in the mirror mechanism,and then somehow makes its way to the sensor when you shoot upwards.
My point was, how often dust land on the sensor on a DSLR and how often it is the case with mirrorless cameras. Real use has shown that dust is a more significant issue with mirrorless cameras (here I don't make any assumption, belief or theory).
08-27-2018, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My point was, how often dust land on the sensor on a DSLR and how often it is the case with mirrorless cameras. Real use has shown that dust is a more significant issue with mirrorless cameras (here I don't make any assumption, belief or theory).
I just power off before lens changes... and my dust is no worse on m43 than on my APSC Pentax.
08-27-2018, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #127
Pentaxian

No theory here - just experience. I have at least as much issue with dust on my DSLR K-30 as I do on my MILC Q-7; each is set to clean itself every time I turn power on or off. If you have this much phobia about dust you should use film, where you get a new, clean 'sensor' for every exposure.

08-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #128
Pentaxian

My real use agrees with that of the two previous posters:

Dust is not noticeably worse on MILC vs DSLR.
08-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the sensor will be directly exposed less than 20mm behind the mount, you'll get dust spots on the sensor more often,
My experience with K-01 and K-5, K-5iis and K10 is that the K-01 is less troubled with dust and other schmutz than my other K- cameras. I think that flipping mirror really stirs thing up.
08-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A new mount is created in order the make the camera body slim. Then, an adapter (not free) should be added to make the body as thick as a DSLR … With your DSLR you had 1000 shots battery life without grip, now you got a thrid of that, you need to buy a grip … you'll get dust spots on the sensor more often … Go mirrorless you are back to square one with the system, you are good to scrap your dozen of lenses hard earned over the last decade, and now you have to start all over again...
None of this matches my experience with the four mirrorless bodies that I have owned thus far.
08-27-2018, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All Pentax needs to do is put an EVF on the KP and they have an instant APSc MILC with outstanding lenses.
09-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
None of this matches my experience with the four mirrorless bodies that I have owned thus far.
I had similar experiences with my Oly M5mkii. less than useful battery life even with new batteries & a grip (I think it actually got more life with one battery than two.) I did like the compactness which made for a good walk around/toss in the back seat of the car system. Not very useful at night. It was replaced with a virtually new K-3ii.
09-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #133

QuoteOriginally posted by shuttles12000 Quote
I would love to see this. There’s lots of excellent M43 glass, so Pentax would not have to come up with a full range straight away.
I currently use an Oly Pen EP5. It’s beautiful but the menu designers really need to talk to Pentax about how to do it right
This guy gets it
09-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I may have posted this earlier, if so sorry. Can't find that post. I just traded an Oly M4/3 M5mkii for a K-3mkii. Yeah, some trade offs but the better lower light capabilities and higher resolution sold me on it.The Oly did awesome in the day and has a razor sharp DOF, but alot of my stuff (outside of family photos) is at night, be astro or night shots in general.) The Oly didn't do great at night. Was a PITA the focus manually even with their pro series of lenses. When focused they did well, but not any better than the Tamron, Sigma, Pentax mix I already have.I need something I know will focus well and has the dynamic range. Sure, I have K-1 for that but als usually have a second camera going doing something.
09-22-2018, 08:28 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I've used a number of EVF equipped mirrorless cameras. I have yet to find one that does seem to compress the dynamic range compared to what I will see on a monitor later. Also an optical view seems faster to react - albeit not able to mimic exposure choices. The two are tradeoffs. Back LCD is not as easy as EVF for me - positionally I am disadvantaged to hold a camera steady using rear LCD, sunlight gets in the way etc. Most EVF's and OVF's are harder for me than most people due to glasses and a very high diopter prescription but both can work. The 3 different focus system on a DSLR? Shouldn't it be 4 on some? PDAF optical; CDAF sensor; PDAF Sensor (In theory possible but not implemented yet?) and Optical via eye. Of these two would be directly comparable to the ones on mirrorless. The others are additional options that augment possible capabilities. In an ideal world I'd have a DSLR with a pentaprism that when the mirror flipped up had an EVF that engaged. This would be the best of all worlds in this way. The same camera would have a short registration distance for mirrorless lenses that automatically forced mirror up when used. The adapter for non-mirrorless lenses would allow for mirror up or down and pass full function. The mount would be wide and would permit up to a 645 crop sized chip. Time will tell if this beast comes from anyone.
Whether somwhat compressed or not, what you see in the EVF is still much closer to the result on the sensor than the ground glass which reflects zero issues with the dynamic range or exposure. Eye focus AF is also a thing of beauty that I have only experienced with mirrorless. Whether it is what you want right now or not, it is the future, with both Nikon and Canon on the bandwagon as of now. It is too bad the K01 went away, because Pentax was truly ahead of its time.