Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 180 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2018, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I've used a number of EVF equipped mirrorless cameras. I have yet to find one that does seem to compress the dynamic range compared to what I will see on a monitor later. .
Yes, that is a disadvantage of EVF/LCD. That doesn't affect me when I'm using my Q-7, because I've already thought about those issues before I lift the camera, and "all" I need the viewfinder for is composting the image .... in fifty plus years of photography I cannot think of any time that composing has been affected by 'Fifty Shades of Whatever', but I can readily think of times when composing has been affected by my needing 'more gain'.

08-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #107
Pentaxian

In an ideal world I'd have a DSLR with a pentaprism that when the mirror flipped up had an EVF that engaged. This would be the best of all worlds in this way. The same camera would have a short registration distance for mirrorless lenses that automatically forced mirror up when used. The adapter for non-mirrorless lenses would allow for mirror up or down and pass full function. The mount would be wide and would permit up to a 645 crop sized chip. Time will tell if this beast comes from anyone.
A cross between this:
LA-EA4 35 mm Full-Frame A-Mount Adapter | LA-EA4 | Sony US
and this:
Leica M Visoflex System
08-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Maybe so. I don't doubt it is impractical....
08-17-2018, 05:45 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Maybe so. I don't doubt it is impractical....
Sometimes brilliant engineers, and the companies with the moxie to realize their ideas, can amaze us.

08-23-2018, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #110
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter van Baarle Quote
I wonder why Pentax has not yet jumped the mirrorless bandwagon (or rather, jumped off after the K01), I feel they are digging their own grave...

CP+ 2018 interviews: The reign of the DSLR is almost over...: Digital Photography Review
I agree with you. I’m not surprised by the bullying replies from the regulars around here, but as a quiet observer I am equally concerned by Pentax lack of progress recently.
08-23-2018, 03:36 AM - 2 Likes   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
What does that mean? Are you trying to say that people shooting Sony (growing daily), Olympus/ Panasonic (like Len Metcalf), and Fuji (growing daily) are not real photographers? Not too mention that Nikon is about to release a FF mirrorless. Holy crap, you are hilarious!

I get brand allegiance and all that but statements like that are just blind fandom. The truth is that Pentax would probably LOVE to have at least an APS-C mirrorless on the market but they simply do not have the money. I think that the KP should have been delayed just a little longer and been designed around one of Sonys mirrorless sensors.
It means Pentax doesn’t make cameras for Consumers - that subset of camera buyers who are acquisitive, motivated by marketing and wear their mirrorless cameras as totems.

In the end game I suppose Pentax should expect to be a significant choice within a shrunken but still relevant technology but I expect to be dead before that issue is resolved.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-23-2018 at 03:51 AM.
08-23-2018, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So here’s my opinion. Converse.

Ricoh Imaging doesn’t adhere to any calendar impressed from the outside (such as by mass-consumers or Tony Northrop or DPR or Amateur Photographer or Thom Hogan). Pentax Brand has a different goal set, definition of success and Vision than most Western observers, so Pentax can be making considerable progress and winning in their eyes while threatened in ours. It is, after all, a Japanese home market company, with Japanese sensibilities. We are Gaijin. We don’t get it.

My considered guess is there will be a RIcoh-branded MILC down the road. I think it likely such a camera will share significant technology with Pentax mirrored cameras. I also think it likely Ricoh Imaging (Pentax) is presently concentrating on developing modern lenses, AF algorithms, a new, robust AF sensor and other fundamental technology improvements which will appear in the next APSc flagship. Those (transferable) technology investments might be a necessary step before a mirrorless can be viable.

It won’t be absolutely necessary for Ricoh to manufacture lenses in a new mount if a new mount appears in a RIcoh MILC. Lenses can be outsourced, as they are for Q. K-mount lenses can be adapted to a new mount. I don’t believe screw drive lenses can be adapted to a future Ricoh MILC. To adapt Pentax lenses as a product strategy I think it likely there is some critical mass of modern, electronic-aperture lenses with in-lens focus motors in K-mount that Ricoh Imaging wants in the catalog before they feel a RIcoh MILC would be a viable product, and they have some idea when they will get there.

I also believe Ricoh Imaging plans to continue to develop and market traditional, OVF cameras and K-mount lenses under the Pentax Brand for the foreseeable future. A MILC from Ricoh should not assume an end to the mirrorbox from Pentax. AFAIC that’s a good thing because I prefer to look through a viewfinder rather than into a viewfinder.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-26-2018 at 12:27 PM.
08-23-2018, 09:44 AM - 2 Likes   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bert J Quote
as a quiet observer I am equally concerned by Pentax lack of progress recently.
That entirely depends on how you measure "progress" - on what your goals are. From my perspective, the 'accelerator' was a tremendous step forward.

added: I also hear that the PLM lens is very good, and the KP-PLM combination is much better than what came before it
08-23-2018, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #114

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Sometimes brilliant engineers, and the companies with the moxie to realize their ideas, can amaze us.
QFT. I love it when a company surpasses expectations by inventing or innovating the unexpected. (Warm thoughts of glory days at Nokia... not that I ever worked there, just loved a lot of their stuff.)
08-23-2018, 10:02 AM - 2 Likes   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bert J Quote
I agree with you. I’m not surprised by the bullying replies from the regulars around here, but as a quiet observer I am equally concerned by Pentax lack of progress recently.
You’re not helping your case.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-23-2018 at 10:12 AM.
08-24-2018, 11:23 PM - 2 Likes   #116

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Pentax getting into the Micro Four Thirds business would be an excellent idea as a spiritual successor to the Q series. They could call it the QF! For Quarter Frame, which is what MFT really is, a quarter of full frame.

This is my day dream Pentax mft camera: Take the Pentax LX as the base design, magnesium alloy or composite body, mode dial on the left of the EVF hump, other dials on the right. Beautiful mini DA* and mini DA Limited lenses for MFT mount. Since it's a shared mount, people won't complain about not enough lenses from Pentax, and I'm sure other MFT users would go crazy to buy Pentax limited lenses for their non-Pentax body as well!
08-25-2018, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #117
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by adjutant Quote
Pentax getting into the Micro Four Thirds
Its possible but highly improbable,the M43 system(as good as it is) is underthreat from Apsc M/L and Smartphones.Its being squeezed.Its a FUN system to use for sure,but Olympus are experiencing a down turn in sales in a market where M/L is holding its own.

call it the QF! For Quarter Frame,
Yes, you have qualified for the job as Pentax marketing manager(its been vacant for a long time btw!)

This is my day dream Pentax mft camera:
My 2 have the names Olympus and panasonic written on them.

MFT users would go crazy to buy Pentax
Hmmm, not so sure...theres some negatives over on the main MfT forum and ex CaNikers that wont entertain going near a "dslr" brand.
08-26-2018, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
SI don’t believe screwmount lenses can be adapted to a future Ricoh MILC.
I raised an eyebrow at that, because all my Takumars are already working just fine on my Sony A7. Then I realized… Oh, he probably means screw-drive autofocus won't work on the new system. Haha!

QuoteQuote:
To adapt Pentax lenses as a product strategy I think it likely there is some critical mass of modern, electronic-aperture lenses with in-lens focus motors in K-mount that Ricoh Imaging wants in the catalog before they feel a RIcoh MILC would be a viable product, and they have some idea when they will get there.
That makes sense, if they want to advance in a methodical and very conservative way, but the practical aspects don't look good. They would have a long list of DSLR lenses to update first, and then it's all still K-mount. Then if they want to move to a new optimized-for-mirrorless mount, that would require starting a whole new lens catalog. And meanwhile, even if they produce all these modernized K-mount lenses, will we collectively rush to buy them and shove our existing lenses to the back of the closet?

It sounds a bit like Kodak executives planning out their methodical, step-by-step transition from film to digital photography over a 15 year period, only to get steamrolled when the market went digital in six months.

---------- Post added 08-26-18 at 11:11 AM ----------

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Pentax getting into the Micro Four Thirds business would be an excellent idea as a spiritual successor to the Q series.
Or else, they could just give us an updated Q (I'd love a Super Q with an EVF!), not to mention that telephoto-macro lens that they had on the roadmap for years (and apparently had a working prototype) but never produced.
08-26-2018, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just don’t see RIcoh developing yet another mount, nor do I see them dumping K-mount; but it seems mirrorless requires an electronic mount. Ergo, as Ricoh Imaging has said over and over, there are no plans to make a MILC any time soon.
08-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I just don’t see RIcoh developing yet another mount, nor do I see them dumping K-mount; but it seems mirrorless requires an electronic mount. Ergo, as Ricoh Imaging has said over and over, there are no plans to make a MILC any time soon.
I totally agree with most of what you say. They could make a MILC with a KAF4 mount. Strictly speaking, when asked about MILC, they said they are going to focus on K-mount. They have very few KAF4 lenses but it could use a bunch of manual lenses in totally manual mode .... but I'm not sure that would impress anyone.