Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Oh you know your alphabet ! Good !
Thank you for noticing
02-08-2020, 08:56 AM - 3 Likes   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After several years, I'm still using my Sony A7 with adapted (vintage, manual focus) film SLR lenses. For those who are pining for the Good Old Days of the K1000, but don't want to actually go back to shooting film, this is about as good as it gets. A real dream camera for me would be a compact full-frame mirrorless camera much like the A7 in form, but with all the Pentax user interface and firmware.

And maybe there's an opening there. I mean, Sony themselves have moved on to bigger and heavier and more complicated and expensive things. So have other companies jumping into the mirrorless market. They're all trying to dazzle us with excess, and that applies as much to lenses now as it does to bodies. Pentax could do the opposite with something relatively small, simple, affordable. Something more pure.

02-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #185
Banned

Photos: Albums
I don't think there is any niche left for Pentax to fill anymore. I kept hoping that Ricoh would make some bold move, but they missed all opportunities. If you want a great mirrorless camera today, there are plenty to chose from, you don't need to wait for Pentax to produce something. Many years ago, I commented that Pentax may become the Leica of DSLRs, but they may not even be able to achieve that. They've just become experts at dying so slowly that they seem immortal!
02-13-2020, 12:54 AM   #186
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
... they may not even be able to achieve that. They've just become experts at dying so slowly that they seem immortal!

That's somewhat ... hurt!
even if I partially agree but still... it's hurt.
02-13-2020, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't see Pentax coming out with an MILC unless it would have a K mount -- basically a K-01 with better style and ergonomics and an EVF. That could work if the specs were there. True, it wouldn't be as thin as some of the other MILCs on the market, but there are plenty of chunky MILCs out there these days. The inability to buy lenses from shorter mounts and stick them on using an adapter is probably the biggest negative, but it would be negated (for Pentaxians) by being able to mount their lenses without an adapter and have them work out of the box.

I don't see Pentax coming out with a new mount, mainly for logistics reasons. Unless the camera market shifts dramatically, there just isn't money for them to create a new lens line up in any sort of decent time line. I know how people are complaining about the lack of full frame lenses and can't imagine if there was a new mount with one to two new lenses coming out per year. Technically they could join the L mount alliance, but it feels like the benefit to them would be minimal.

I will just add that there is a group of people who enjoy using optical viewfinders and find EVFs give them eye strain and headaches. I understand that those who don't have trouble with them don't understand this, but I am guessing that it is a sizable chunk of the market. If even 20 percent of photographers don't want to use EVFs for whatever reason, that is a nice segment of the market for Pentax to pursue and cater to, even as the other brands leave them behind.

02-13-2020, 12:33 PM - 3 Likes   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think there is any niche left for Pentax to fill anymore. I kept hoping that Ricoh would make some bold move, but they missed all opportunities. If you want a great mirrorless camera today, there are plenty to chose from, you don't need to wait for Pentax to produce something. Many years ago, I commented that Pentax may become the Leica of DSLRs, but they may not even be able to achieve that. They've just become experts at dying so slowly that they seem immortal!
I dunno about that, I know of shooters that have come across to Pentax for weird stuff like the Green Button and focus confirmation with manual focus glass. I can't help feel that a screenless 24mp FF no frills, no AF, proper mf focus screen camera body could be attractive for many (even outside of existing Pentaxians). Niche's are created is my point and not always apparent. What Pentax has as its main advantage is beautiful lenses, lenses that other brands seek out and use adapters with, I would be playing to that strength if I were them.
02-14-2020, 04:46 AM   #189
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't see Pentax coming out with an MILC unless it would have a K mount -- basically a K-01 with better style and ergonomics and an EVF. That could work if the specs were there. True, it wouldn't be as thin as some of the other MILCs on the market, but there are plenty of chunky MILCs out there these days. The inability to buy lenses from shorter mounts and stick them on using an adapter is probably the biggest negative, but it would be negated (for Pentaxians) by being able to mount their lenses without an adapter and have them work out of the box.
K mount is the blessing and the curse of pentax.. a Kmount ML camera has no sense because you can't adapt every mount like the others and even adapt m42 would be tricky as with DSLR; even nikon made a new mount for ML. Better sharing an existing mount and make a K to (that bayonet) AF adapter like the LA-EA4 for Minolta AF to Sony E.

And thinking, better make Aps-c cameras: there are still chances in that segment ; or medium format ( a ML pentax 67 f.e.).

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-14-2020 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Removed reference and response to a deleted post
02-14-2020, 07:00 AM - 2 Likes   #190
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd like to remind all members that constructive criticism of Pentax and Ricoh - as part of a balanced overall contribution to these forums - is welcomed, but inflammatory and "brand-bashing" posts aren't. Let's remember, all of our discussions are publicly readable outside of these forums. This is our "club house", and it's in the interests of both our wider membership and the brands we've chosen to present our opinions in a moderate, balanced and constructive fashion.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-14-2020 at 07:22 AM.
02-17-2020, 06:00 AM   #191

Pentax is not a "DSLR company" as some people stated above. It's just a camera company. It'd be nice to have a mirrorless K-mount camera. My K-3 is so heavy that it really doesn't matter if I carry a light Limited lense. Lighter mirrorless and 4K video would be awesome.
02-18-2020, 07:53 PM   #192
Pentaxian

I don't think there is any niche left for Pentax to fill anymore.
How about a really compact MILC that leverages the improvements in BSI technology,
using a modern 1/1.7 sensor, and top quality lenses with their own internal leaf shutters?
02-18-2020, 08:27 PM - 2 Likes   #193
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
What does that mean? Are you trying to say that people shooting Sony (growing daily), Olympus/ Panasonic (like Len Metcalf), and Fuji (growing daily) are not real photographers? Not too mention that Nikon is about to release a FF mirrorless. Holy crap, you are hilarious!

I get brand allegiance and all that but statements like that are just blind fandom. The truth is that Pentax would probably LOVE to have at least an APS-C mirrorless on the market but they simply do not have the money. I think that the KP should have been delayed just a little longer and been designed around one of Sonys mirrorless sensors.
Pentax is K-mount and 645 mount. Q mount is dormant.

The K- mount itself si not suitable for mirrorless camera and lens designs. It is too deep (45.48 mm) to make the camera thinner and shorter focal length lenses smaller, which was the original marketing “benefit” of mirrorless designs. KP is a design study to show that with DA Limited lenses a DSLR can be thin and small while still producing superb images.

To make a propier MILC Pentax must design a completely new mount, which would be the fourth mount in their catalog, as well as develop a completely new image processing engine to allow competitive video. Pentax has a core corporate value statement promising backward compatibility for every Pentax lens ever manufactured to be operable on every new Pentax camera in each mount. In order to honor this promise any new mirrorless mount would also need an operating converter with mechanical aperture linkage control and a mechanism to allow an in-body or in-converter focus motor to drive existing legacy lenses. Pentax also believes the optical viewfinder is the proper way to frame a scene - agree with them or not, that is their culture and corporate know-how. They have zero corporate know-how in EVF’s and not enough in video.

Pentax would not LOVE to have an APSc MILC on the market. That does not make business sense.
02-19-2020, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #194
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax is K-mount and 645 mount. Q mount is dormant.
The 645 mount has been downright drowsy since 2015 (35/3.5 FA to D FA upgrade.)
The K- mount itself si not suitable for mirrorless camera and lens designs. It is too deep (45.48 mm) to make the camera thinner and shorter focal length lenses smaller, which was the original marketing “benefit” of mirrorless designs.
Unless a wide angle lens is retrofocus, which then might as well be K mount,
you're going to get poor perfomance at the edge of the frame.
KP is a design study to show that with DA Limited lenses a DSLR can be thin and small
If that was the goal, it failed. The KP is larger than the K5 in all three linear dimensions.
Pentax also believes the optical viewfinder is the proper way to frame a scene
Really? Then why did they work so hard on articulating the K1 screen?
And why do they continue to give us "Composition Adjustment"?
02-19-2020, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing has really changed in the 22 months since this thread was started.
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter van Baarle Quote
I wonder why Pentax has not yet jumped the mirrorless bandwagon (or rather, jumped off after the K01), I feel they are digging their own grave...
There aren't any tricks to saving the ILC industry that haven't been tried multiple times, no niche market that hasn't been targeted from multiple angles and no marketing strategy that has been left untested. Just because a particular manufacturer hasn't come out with a product that checks every single box on our own unique, personal shopping list, doesn't mean that the world is coming to an end. If you include used cameras that are capable of working for another decade or so, there aren't any photographic itches that can't be scratched, as long as one is willing to accept that a few boxes will never be checked off.