Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2018, 08:52 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's great and I started to love the K01 ha !

07-31-2018, 08:59 AM   #47
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by dnas Quote
I mentioned it in another thread, but the K-01 used standard Pentax K mount lenses, which made the overall system and camera big, and no EVF, giving no tangible reason to buy them over Pentax DSLRs.

What should have happened was similar to what was done with the Canon EOS M: Produce a small mirrorless body and a basic set of two good quality zooms and a pancake lens, plus bundle an adapter that adapted the EOS M camera to Canon EF DSLR lenses.

In this case, a small APS-C mirrorless Pentax body with a new mount, with a Pentax K-mount lens adapter including the aperture lever. And build in "on sensor" phase detection points to make the AF seamless. I think I would have bought that. One model with EVF, and much smaller one without. If this had been done when the Pentax K-01 came out, it would have beaten Canon to the punch.
Ricoh/Pentax, a company that was in transition at the time (2011), just didn't have the resources to commit to four different lens mounts. Any K-mount adapter would increase size and complexity of an APS-C camera.

Any small body has compromises in battery size and life, as well as heat dissipation issues: common complaints against mirrorless bodies. The K-01 uses the full sized D-L190 battery, making it a good back-up camera to the big Pentax DSLR's. Its body mass minimizes overheating. Many EVFs add "bumps" to the body as well. A good comparison to make would be the Panasonic GX8 to the K-01. The GX8 is a great M4/3 camera (with a smaller battery) but it is bigger overall than the APS-C K-01.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 07-31-2018 at 09:06 AM.
07-31-2018, 09:44 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by travelour Quote
Maybe build some user loyalty from cross brands in the process? Would Sony allow that? Stupid idea?
The way I see Pentax is limited by market access, market share and Pentax customer budgets, rather than limited by the type of Pentax camera being offered. We see a lot of k mount users not buying premium product. Pentax has been an apsc DSLR only for many years, as its customer base it retained budget minded customers, while some of former Pentax customers with higher budget switched to Canon/Nikon/Sony. Now whether Ricoh are making premium products such as the K1, the DFA*70-200 or the new DFA*50, it is hard to sell volumes to a budget minded customer base and it's equally hard for Pentax to attract users from other brands simply due to the Pentax brand being less supported by sales channels relative to other brands. Mirrorless is rather not a very strong selling point, we don't see a strong market pull on mirrorless vs DSLR, it's more like we see the total market becoming niche and mirrorless manage to achieve some of the sales but is rather weak.
07-31-2018, 11:33 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
Ricoh/Pentax, a company that was in transition at the time (2011), just didn't have the resources to commit to four different lens mounts. Any K-mount adapter would increase size and complexity of an APS-C camera.

Any small body has compromises in battery size and life, as well as heat dissipation issues: common complaints against mirrorless bodies. The K-01 uses the full sized D-L190 battery, making it a good back-up camera to the big Pentax DSLR's. Its body mass minimizes overheating. Many EVFs add "bumps" to the body as well. A good comparison to make would be the Panasonic GX8 to the K-01. The GX8 is a great M4/3 camera (with a smaller battery) but it is bigger overall than the APS-C K-01.
Yup, and the moment you add a full-frame sensor, the size difference between it and FF competitors diminish because the overall package of the K-01 + FA Limiteds is more competitive with cameras like the Sony A7 series and their comparable primes.

And adding a FF sensor to the K-01 is comparatively easier to do than many of the other alternatives discussed.

07-31-2018, 04:28 PM   #50

I know you are invested in the K-01, and that's fine.... I have a soft spot for Pentax. I had (and still have) an old MX film camera, and my first DSLR was a Pentax, and I still have a K10 & a K20. I also have an old Spotmatic and (Asahi Pentax) Takumar lenses.

However, because I fix so many different cameras and lenses, and use them, I have no particular bias towards (or away from) any particular brand or format, so I can evaluate them side by side according to performance and ergonomics.
Any problems regarding battery life in most mirrorless cameras has never been an issue for me. I will often shoot 150 shots + video on a weekend skiing, with just one battery on a Panasonic GX7, GH2, Olympus OMD-EM5, or a Sony A6000.... no issues with battery life. Even though I carry a spare, I never use it.

It's true that there are more issues with the full frame Sony A7 series, regarding battery life and heat dissipation. I once had an overheating problem when shooting more than 20min of video. But that's the only heat dissipation issue I've EVER had with a mirrorless.

An EVF doesn't need to add much "bump" to a mirrorless. Look at the Panasonic GM5:

K01 compared to GM5:
https://camerasize.com/compare/#570,285

However, I'll say that the more recent Panasonic mirrorless cameras (GX8, G8) are way too big for what they are.

Last edited by dnas; 07-31-2018 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Add link
08-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #51
Unregistered User

I know you are invested in the K-01, and that's fine....
I don't have any investment in it, I just use it, along with other cameras.

Odd that you would compare the K-01 to the GM5—a camera that is half the sensor size, has less than half the battery life, no IBIS and needs an adapter to use PK lenses. Not to mention that it doesn't share the Pentax menu system either.
08-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #52

I don't have any investment in it, I just use it, along with other cameras.

Odd that you would compare the K-01 to the GM5—a camera that is half the sensor size, has less than half the battery life, no IBIS and needs an adapter to use PK lenses. Not to mention that it doesn't share the Pentax menu system either.
"Odd that you would compare the K-01 to the GM5", and yet you were the one comparing the K-01 to a Panasonic GX-8, saying the Panasonic is bigger. Why is that not equally odd to start with?

I was showing the other half of your statement, comparing the K-01 to a Panasonic GM5. (which HAS an EVF which you said "adds size", yet the GM5 is still way smaller.)

If you were comparing the K-01 to a Panasonic GX-8, then it's equally appropriate, for example, to compare the Sony A7ii to a K-01, a camera that has half the sensor size, and heavier than the A7ii. But there's no point.

I said you were invested, because the impression I get is that you think that the K-01 is superior in every way to other mirrorless cameras(Pentax menu system, takes PK lenses, etc). Ok, that's fine, as we all have our opinions.
My opinion is based on fixing and using dozens of different cameras. There are lots of advantages and disadvantages for every camera. I know what they are in real life.
In my view, what is essential for today's mirrorless cameras are:
- EVF. Any bright sunny day can be difficult, and sometimes impossible, to easily compose a good shot.
- Fast AF with native lenses
- Personally, I want the ability to mount any old manual focus lenses. This includes Minolta SR, Konica, Pentax, Canon FD, Nikon plus others.

Nice to have:
- IBIS
- Smaller, rather than larger. IMO, larger size defeats the advantages of mirrorless. The later Panasonics are too big IMO
- Battery life > 250 shots
- Pentax menu system

We just need to agree to disagree.

08-03-2018, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #53
Unregistered User

I said you were invested, because the impression I get is that you think that the K-01 is superior in every way to other mirrorless cameras(Pentax menu system, takes PK lenses, etc). Ok, that's fine, as we all have our opinions.
Your impression is wrong. No camera is superior in every way. My priorities are different, though.

Essential:
-Simplicity
-IBIS
-Battery life>500 shots
-Seamless integration with Pentax system without adapters
-Affordable

Not needed:
-EVF
-Fast AF with native lenses
-Ability to mount any old manual focus lenses

The K-01 is the only camera that meets these priorities. I'd love to see a K-02 with better features or even as a full frame (and I'd buy one), but it just isn't going to happen.

I'm not in a position where I can buy into a new system every couple of years, which is a requirement for having the newest latest greatest. To buy a new system and then have to buy an adapter just to be able use my existing lenses is backwards.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 08-03-2018 at 06:02 AM. Reason: more info
08-09-2018, 12:08 AM   #54
Pentaxian

One could say, since mirrorless cameras need an adapter for legacy glass, DSLR are adapterless but unfortunately the adapterless concept isn't new, so it can't be marketed as such. But the Pentax K-01 was both mirrorless and adapterless.
08-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And if the K01 got a decent eye level finder, it is the best of all worlds. The system doesn’t need a new line of lenses. One of the things I like most about Pentax is the compactness. A K3 with a DA*300 + TC is no bigger or heavier than a quality M4/3 with the same reach. Pentax makes some great compact primes for APS-c, and getting those in an updated K01 with PDAF and an eye level finder would instantly be a jump ahead of the Sony system. It’s not likely to happen, but I’d love to see it.
08-15-2018, 10:26 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
And if the K01 got a decent eye level finder, it is the best of all worlds
Yes, i wonder if "Pentax" will do what they did with the K-1...ie let us upgrade our K-01 with an EVF?...I'll send mine in!
08-16-2018, 12:17 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I very much doubt an extra lens mount is going to happen.

To successfully re-boot the K-01 (which I owned and liked a lot) I reckon it would need:
1) a full frame sensor - perhaps lower MP and optimised for video and fast frame rates.
2) fancy modern AF with eye detection, etc.
3) a fully articulated LCD screen like the K-S2. If it was good enough an EVF might be a moot point.
4) properly competitive video performance.
5) more "Pentaxy" styling - maybe harking back to the size and shape of the old film SLR's.
6) maybe some KAF4 XS primes.

If all that were possible it would be a great compliment to the K-1.
08-16-2018, 05:40 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I very much doubt an extra lens mount is going to happen.

To successfully re-boot the K-01 (which I owned and liked a lot) I reckon it would need:
1) a full frame sensor - perhaps lower MP and optimised for video and fast frame rates.
2) fancy modern AF with eye detection, etc.
3) a fully articulated LCD screen like the K-S2. If it was good enough an EVF might be a moot point.
4) properly competitive video performance.
5) more "Pentaxy" styling - maybe harking back to the size and shape of the old film SLR's.
6) maybe some KAF4 XS primes.

If all that were possible it would be a great compliment to the K-1.
I don't see any reason for (1) - a majority of Pentax bodies and lenses are still APS-C.

If they did release a K-02 with EVF, that would be plenty for me.
If would like flippy LCD, but that wouldn't eliminate EVF requirement for me
I would have no need for eye detection, video, "Pentax styling" or new primes.
08-16-2018, 06:25 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was suggesting something that might have a market, rather than just make reh321 (or me) happy
08-16-2018, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I totally disagree. I don't know about other people, but I purchased my first SLR in May 1979 because I wanted interchangeable lenses. After three SLRs, when I went digital in Feb 2007 I tried a compact camera to get size down. After nine months I decided that had been a terrible mistake and I purchased a DSLR. I don't need a mirror!!! I need a K-mount, or an EF-mount, or a EF-M-mount, or even a K-M-mount .... I need a something-mount with a viewfinder. If Pentax came out tomorrow with a K-02 with EVF, I'd be ready to scrimp then purchase.
You are correct in your focus on the mount. What matters is the installed base of K-mounts in the market. Mounts drive lens sales. It can be argued that another mount Is an actual existential threat to Pentax - I intentionally include 645 here - because it draws sales and resources away from K-mount.

The question then remains, can Pentax develop and successfully produce a differentiated K-mount MILC?