Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2020, 07:00 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
they could join the L-mount
They "could" but who says Leica would approve that.They have the final say.

L mount doesnt need anyone to join,its not open like M43.

Speculation and wishful thinking is one thing but reality is another.

06-29-2020, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
They "could" but who says Leica would approve that.They have the final say.

L mount doesnt need anyone to join,its not open like M43.

Speculation and wishful thinking is one thing but reality is another.
Sure, nothing is guaranteed. But given the title of this thread is "just speculation on mirrorless and Pentax", I think this is an OK place for hypothetical thinking
06-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be interested in a mirrorless K-1 I think. Just to cut down on some of the bulk, even if it's just a body. A lot of the older lenses are very small anyway, I think they'll balance really well on a mirrorless body.

Not sure they have the resources though, I guess concentrating on the dfa line is a higher priority than testing out the mirrorless market.

07-06-2020, 10:25 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mirrorless MF would entice me for sure.

06-16-2021, 05:20 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
This is only my opinion, no one has to agree with it, but trust me I am an engineer.

I think the future is mirrorless, it just has better properties then the DSLRs, we just can't use them all now with current tech.
The mirrorless has at least these advantages:
  • No need for separate AF and AE sensors, the main sensor can do all of this.
  • No need for AF adjustment, the main sensor always can check it with contrast detection.
  • It's lighter, the prism is big and heavy.
  • Shorter flange distances are possible, so more tech can be added in place of the mirror or thinner body can be created.
  • Shutter lag can be totally eliminated. If the (future) sensor captures continuously, then the camera can save the image taken when you pushed the button or even before you pushed the shutter button.
  • Any custom overlay can be added to the viewfinder image. Focus peaking, histogram, under/overexposure warnings...
  • Exposeur can be simulated. (I like it when I half press the shutter button)
  • Low light manual focus is easier with "correct exposure" viewfinder image

Thanks to the VR madness small high quality, low latency, HDR monitors are advancing very quickly, so the viewfinders gets better while the research costs goes to other segments, because these are mandatory for VR headsets. I think EVFs will catch up in the next few years.

While I'am a Pentax shooter and I really like my KP and the OVF, I think the future is the mirrorless with EVF, we are only waiting for faster readout speeds and lower power consumption. (Lower consumption is also mandatory for the sensor cooling, we need a continuously running FF sensor for these!)

So where is the mirrorless future proof Pentax camera (or at least development)? I think there are some technologies they are trying: The K-70 has on sensor PDAF, so we seen the first version and I think the LiveView is good in the KP.
Altough Pentax does not have their own sensor development like Canon and Nikon has according to the fresh news, they really depending on Sony and we don't know how many alternatives are there. Sony may be prohibiting for Pentax to make mirorrless in change for the access to the relative new sensors. I trust in the engineers at Ricoh, they have a much more information about the market and the opportunities, so I hope they choose the right tactics.
Maybe we will see some tech in the GRIII which confirmed to be coming.

Of course there is another factor: the K mount which keeps many of us at Pentax. A mirrorless needs a new mount, with new technology. While there is the option to make "designed for mirrorless" KAF4 lenses, I think we would loose too much by keeping the mount. Although getting to a new mount would split the not so fast lens development team too, so I think they currently does not have the resources for a mirrorless system.
You list all the advantages and they're no doubt there, but there is a different feel with mirrorless - it's not quite "live". No doubt the speed will improve, but I don't see me giving up all my K mount glass any time soon.
06-21-2021, 06:39 AM   #81
JPT
Pentaxian

The latest EVF are much better than they used to be and I could use them without any problem. But I don't want to.

I spend most of my life staring into LCD screens of different shapes and sizes. It's just nice to have a natural view when I'm put taking photos.

The amount of information overlaid in EVF is pretty crazy and the brightness makes everything look overdone. I just like more serene experience.
06-21-2021, 09:27 AM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
.... Nikon's mirrorless doesn't take off, killing Nikon. Pentax decides not to risk mirrorless. Canon, after several tries, develops a good mirrorless system....
Frankly if Nikon is ever killed off, Pentax will have been long long dead. And if you haven't tried any of the EOS M series APSC MILCs then you should, you'll eat those words.

06-21-2021, 10:20 PM   #83
JPT
Pentaxian

I don't think Nikon is in any danger, but they do seem to have handled the transition quite badly. They have damaged confidence in in F-mount's future without really creating enough confidence in Z-mount.

Canon has done it better. Canon RF looks like a good system for the future already. And I don't think Canon M was a mistake at all. They were never targeting the same crowd as bought their serious DSLRs, and they never released a "serious" camera to mislead them that that was their future. Canon M has not been super popular, but at the same time it was better focused than Nikon 1 or Pentax Q.

I'd happily take an Canon M6 on holiday with their 22mm prime and a couple of convenience zooms if that what I has available.
06-22-2021, 04:45 PM   #84

I came here after owning a Nikon 1 J5 mirrorless. I liked the camera, with the smaller 11-27.5 zoom lens (1" sensor) in the retracted position, it would fit into a jacket pocket or cargo shorts pocket. It was almost as convenient to carry around as a cell phone. But it didn't have manual focus (at least not that I found usable), and some of the exposure settings were not easy to use. It was not directly compatible with their main lenses (an adaptor was available, but that negates the main advantage of small size). The series was discontinued in 2018 (started 2011). They probably lost a lot of money making a new set of lenses for the Nikon 1 series.

When I was looking for a new camera, it was a tough decision to go mirrorless or DSLR. Mirrorless could be operated silently, useful for some nature pictures. But I really needed an optical viewfinder of some kind, the EVF was a real problem in bright light (most recently, when snowshoeing in the sun, I would just point it best I could for the picture, then put it under my coat to look at the result).

I couldn't find anything on the market that fit into a pocket, so that kind of tipped the balance for me. Then it was just a matter of finding a good DSLR and stock lens under $1000. I'll probably add a lens or two in the future.
06-23-2021, 01:17 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bogwalker Quote
I came here after owning a Nikon 1 J5 mirrorless

some of the exposure settings were not easy to use.

They probably lost a lot of money making a new set of lenses for the Nikon 1 series.

the EVF was a real problem in bright light (most recently, when snowshoeing in the sun, I would just point it best I could for the picture, then put it under my coat to look at the result)
I came to Pentax from Nikon 1 as well Had (and still have) a V1 with double zoom kit and 18.5/1.8.

Don't know about the J5, but on the V1 you could adjust aperture and shutterspeed without having to access the menus, only for changing ISO. M with Auto ISO was a favorite of mine when light was scarce, it's like TAv mode on a Pentax.

I know that they lost money on my purchases, I got the camera in double zoom kit on a sale for 349€. I did add the 18.5 later, but that was cheaper than a DA 35/2.4 for Pentax.

I think the J5 did not have an EVF like the V1 had, only the screen on the back? The V1 had an EVF and with that I had no problem at all in bright light. And I liked the WYSIWYG approach of mirrorless. But the V1 had only 10MP, which was not that much if I had to crop in later. And high ISO got very grainy very fast. The V2 looked really ugly and I did not like that they made the EVF for the V3 detachable, or rather that you'd have to buy it extra if you wanted to use it. I would have liked a V4 with the tech of the J5 in the body of the V1. But the system died before that could happen.
Focussing was almost instantly, electronic shutter made it silent, mechanical shutter had a nice sound to it, the body was made like a brick, very solid, it was fast. But I found myself wanting "more", not really knowing what exactly that more should all be, and I read up on sensor sizes and equivalence and I did eye the 32/1.2, but it was just so expensive that I could get a K-S2 with 18-135 and something else on top for the same money. Would have almost landed at Nikon or Canon, but I think it was the release of the K-1 that brought Pentax on my radar.

Another sad thing was the DL series that did not make it to release at all because... they had problems making it profitable? Those would have been some nice compacts
06-23-2021, 10:29 PM   #86

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I think the J5 did not have an EVF like the V1 had, only the screen on the back? The V1 had an EVF and with that I had no problem at all in bright light.
Okay, I'm getting confused. I'm thinking EVF is electronic viewfinder (LCD screen) and OVF is optical viewfinder that you look through. Am I getting my acronyms wrong?

But whatever, I only had the LCD screen.
I started with a J1, but that eventually had problems talking to the lens, so I bought a grey-market J5. Turns out it was built for the Asian market, 99% the same, but for whatever reason they stripped out a couple key features, might have included manual exposure control. It did get grainy quick in the dark. I still have mine too, I should do some side-by-side comparisons with my K-70. Focus was very good, except when I wanted to focus on something small (eg. a spider on a web), it kept locking onto the background, and it was very difficult to override it.

Last edited by bogwalker; 06-23-2021 at 10:40 PM.
06-27-2021, 03:06 PM   #87
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bogwalker Quote
But whatever, I only had the LCD screen.
If you had only the LCD screen, you had exactly the capability of a "Q".
The problem is, the "Q" has nothing to shield the LCD from the sun or other bright lights.
With either a "OVF" or "EVF', the viewfinder itself provides the needed 'shield'.
06-28-2021, 09:15 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There ya go, someone mocked up a Pentax L mount mirrorless. It looks like the Sony or the Nikon, but the silver one is nice

Pentax mirrorless camera mockup - Pentax Rumors
06-28-2021, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

06-29-2021, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lol

Its competition time, we have targets to meet