Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2018, 10:36 PM - 5 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
The K-01 (Que Oh Juan) 6 Years Too Late

Tarf here goonbags. Cha! Check out my little spotlight on this current (meaning newest to me) cheese taker I'm handling.

Pentax K-01 Highlights – TarfGnams

The G is silent but I'm not. Cha!

09-10-2018, 12:13 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed. Strangely, I am beginning to prefer my K-01 to my K-3 ii for everyday use.

Teamed with a Pentax 21mm/F3.2 -- it gets great captures. And I rarely worry about about micro adjustments to get spot on portraits.

There must be some boffins at Ricoh, probably thinking the same thing as enthusiast start raving over Canon and Sony's mirrorless initiatives..
09-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #3

I wanted to like it, but the highly reflective screen was too hard to see in daylight. And no VF, so off it went. Meanwhile, I'm loving my MX-1. Its screen is great in any light.
09-10-2018, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnhilvert Quote
Indeed. Strangely, I am beginning to prefer my K-01 to my K-3 ii for everyday use.

Teamed with a Pentax 21mm/F3.2 -- it gets great captures. And I rarely worry about about micro adjustments to get spot on portraits.

There must be some boffins at Ricoh, probably thinking the same thing as enthusiast start raving over Canon and Sony's mirrorless initiatives..
Cha! Thanks John. Totally enjoying the K-01 to best of my abilities, and it's abilities, while also growing at my own pace.

09-10-2018, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good to see your K-01 sees light and it's loved I Still use mine from time to time. Paired with the DA Limiteds (or fixed on a tripod for landscape / macro work with bigger lenses) it's still a capable camera.
09-10-2018, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
Good to see your K-01 sees light and it's loved I Still use mine from time to time. Paired with the DA Limiteds (or fixed on a tripod for landscape / macro work with bigger lenses) it's still a capable camera.
Totally Caver. Appreciating more and more. Thank you.
09-10-2018, 04:04 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I still use mine when travelling light! I usually take it teamed up with DA 40XS, DA 70 and DA 15 - a very compact and capable set up.
Often surprised at how good the results are (for what ever reason results seem to be consistently better than outings with my K-5).
I don't mind the styling personally and when I take the K-01 it amazing how many people ask me about it (as opposed to K-1 where no one has asked me about it).

The only significant downside for me is using the screen in sun light - which sucks - but there are ways to work around it (one hand holding + one hand shielding!). At times in bright sunlight I just shoot blind, which works out surprisingly often as the AF accuracy is pretty consistent.
09-10-2018, 10:17 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Well I still use mine when travelling light! I usually take it teamed up with DA 40XS, DA 70 and DA 15 - a very compact and capable set up.
Often surprised at how good the results are (for what ever reason results seem to be consistently better than outings with my K-5).
I don't mind the styling personally and when I take the K-01 it amazing how many people ask me about it (as opposed to K-1 where no one has asked me about it).

The only significant downside for me is using the screen in sun light - which sucks - but there are ways to work around it (one hand holding + one hand shielding!). At times in bright sunlight I just shoot blind, which works out surprisingly often as the AF accuracy is pretty consistent.
Thanks for sharing Kiwi_Jono. I typically have a baseball cap on when I shoot which I'm sure helps with any screen issues.

09-12-2018, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I spend most of the time abroad, which means I'm traveling back and forth bringing with me camera/s and lenses.
Room/weight is limited, so I have to make choices.
The old K200D has gone (to my wife), and I tried a few different bodies as a complement to my K-1.
Tried an old Olympus Pen m4/3, but it doesn't share the same lenses with the Pentax. The K-5 II would be a perfect APS-C choice, though it doesn't really give anything the K-1 doesn't have, but the inherent advantages of the cropped format.
In the end my choice has been the K-01. It is not WR, but is reliable, rather small, and is a trouble free camera for adapted lenses.
Being a collector - a definition I dislike, but it is what I've become, buying frequently and selling never - of vintage optics, mostly M42, and also adapted from other mounts/uses, I often want to try a new acquisition, or finally test a conversion.
The K-01 is a very convenient host, as it has no mirror that could interfere with the back of some old optics with deeply recessed rear glass.
I think of the K-01 as a kind of jolly. It is not the best in any department, though it does almost everything.
There is a small flash, that is missing from recent top level Pentax cameras. It produces much smaller raw files. The "brick" form factor allows to easily store it without lens. The yellow version is very cute and even attracts the attention of other photographers: most of them are totally unaware of the existence of a Pentax mirrorless!
For many reasons it's a nice second body for pentaxians on the move... and it would be even be better with a viewfinder and more controls (at least two wheels).
A Sony 24Mpix sensor would be more than enough, allowing to keep the size of the raw/jpg files under check. I'm not the only one traveling with a single external USB 2.0/3.0 drive, I guess.
If Ricoh is not secretly following the Canikon course, preparing a mirrorless with shorter register, I believe there is a place for a mirrorless "travel camera" with PK mount.
It could inherit most of the technology (and a good number of parts) from the K-3 II, of course it should be WR, and hopefully have an improved AF with points selectable from the touchscreen.
Such camera would be a testament of faith on the PK mount. It would be the kind of strong statements regarding the future that Pentax enthusiasts need (especially those in doubt about investing in expensive new lenses).
I don't have a digital medium format, so I kind of forget about it. Let's put it in clear words, if beween Phookina and the end of the year/early 2019 there will be no news of a new model, the medium format train is gone.
If that happens, another train must be in sight... Being the only one that kept the compatibility with old lenses could be a bonus that allows to compete in the future niche market of DSLR cameras, and appeal to the growing number, many of them asians, who are discovering the pleasure of shooting with vintage MF lenses (without giving up the OVF). The second/alternative body could be a mirrorless that uses the same mount.
There is a second option, that has not been followed by the big players for technical and commercial reasons:
instead of releasing a new mirrorless made for a new mount, and give the customers an expensive, half-assed adapter for the old ones, the camera could be released as a two-stage one. The new camera is designed to provide full support to any PK/PKAF lens, but the mount is removable, and Pentax-made (or third party's) adapters can be mounted in its place, allowing the use of M42 "auto" lenses, or any other major mount, with full coverage of pre-AF functions. It would be more than enough to provide basic AE functions/modes, leaving out AF. It would be much more than what you get with a cheap dumb mechanical adapter on a Sony. It could be a smart idea, and Sigma might even provide an AF adapter for Canon lenses!
If you have a limited choices of lenses to offer, at least for FF, why not use already available lenses to sell your cameras?
In a way, initial K-1 sales were due to the same kind of mechanism.
It would not affect the sale of new expensive D FA objectives, but would help sell cameras to those who can't/don't want to buy them now.The difference would be that the camera is sold as a whole, that its successors would follow the same philosophy, and that the adapter would be designed and conceived to be an integral part of the camera, not a transitory measure as Nikon's or Sony A adapter.
The camera attachment, with short register and a larger mouth, would allow to release in the future a new family of short register lenses (especially wide angles) that would go along PKAF ones.
I am afraid that reinventing the wheel is not very japanese, however I remember that on this forum, when the K-1 was yet to come and the debate about "FF = YES, FF= NO" was hot, I gave similar reasons to support my idea that the FF was a must, and it would have little adverse consequences. So let's be hopeful

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 09-12-2018 at 06:58 AM.
09-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I spend most of the time abroad, which means I'm traveling back and forth bringing with me camera/s and lenses.
Room/weight is limited, so I have to make choices.
The old K200D has gone (to my wife), and I tried a few different bodies as a complement to my K-1.
Tried an old Olympus Pen m4/3, but it doesn't share the same lenses with the Pentax. The K-5 II would be a perfect APS-C choice, though it doesn't really give anything the K-1 doesn't have, but the inherent advantages of the cropped format.
In the end my choice has been the K-01. It is not WR, but is reliable, rather small, and is a trouble free camera for adapted lenses.
Being a collector - a definition I dislike, but it is what I've become, buying frequently and selling never - of vintage optics, mostly M42, and also adapted from other mounts/uses, I often want to try a new acquisition, or finally test a conversion.
The K-01 is a very convenient host, as it has no mirror that could interfere with the back of some old optics with deeply recessed rear glass.
I think of the K-01 as a kind of jolly. It is not the best in any department, though it does almost everything.
There is a small flash, that is missing from recent top level Pentax cameras. It produces much smaller raw files. The "brick" form factor allows to easily store it without lens. The yellow version is very cute and even attracts the attention of other photographers: most of them are totally unaware of the existence of a Pentax mirrorless!
For many reasons it's a nice second body for pentaxians on the move... and it would be even be better with a viewfinder and more controls (at least two wheels).
A Sony 24Mpix sensor would be more than enough, allowing to keep the size of the raw/jpg files under check. I'm not the only one traveling with a single external USB 2.0/3.0 drive, I guess.
If Ricoh is not secretly following the Canikon course, preparing a mirrorless with shorter register, I believe there is a place for a mirrorless "travel camera" with PK mount.
It could inherit most of the technology (and a good number of parts) from the K-3 II, of course it should be WR, and hopefully have an improved AF with points selectable from the touchscreen.
Such camera would be a testament of faith on the PK mount. It would be the kind of strong statements regarding the future that Pentax enthusiasts need (especially those in doubt about investing in expensive new lenses).
I don't have a digital medium format, so I kind of forget about it. Let's put it in clear words, if beween Phookina and the end of the year/early 2019 there will be no news of a new model, the medium format train is gone.
If that happens, another train must be in sight... Being the only one that kept the compatibility with old lenses could be a bonus that allows to compete in the future niche market of DSLR cameras, and appeal to the growing number, many of them asians, who are discovering the pleasure of shooting with vintage MF lenses (without giving up the OVF). The second/alternative body could be a mirrorless that uses the same mount.
There is a second option, that has not been followed by the big players for technical and commercial reasons:
instead of releasing a new mirrorless made for a new mount, and give the customers an expensive, half-assed adapter for the old ones, the camera could be released as a two-stage one. The new camera is designed to provide full support to any PK/PKAF lens, but the mount is removable, and Pentax-made (or third party's) adapters can be mounted in its place, allowing the use of M42 "auto" lenses, or any other major mount, with full coverage of pre-AF functions. It would be more than enough to provide basic AE functions/modes, leaving out AF. It would be much more than what you get with a cheap dumb mechanical adapter on a Sony. It could be a smart idea, and Sigma might even provide an AF adapter for Canon lenses!
If you have a limited choices of lenses to offer, at least for FF, why not use already available lenses to sell your cameras?
In a way, initial K-1 sales were due to the same kind of mechanism.
It would not affect the sale of new expensive D FA objectives, but would help sell cameras to those who can't/don't want to buy them now.The difference would be that the camera is sold as a whole, that its successors would follow the same philosophy, and that the adapter would be designed and conceived to be an integral part of the camera, not a transitory measure as Nikon's or Sony A adapter.
The camera attachment, with short register and a larger mouth, would allow to release in the future a new family of short register lenses (especially wide angles) that would go along PKAF ones.
I am afraid that reinventing the wheel is not very japanese, however I remember that on this forum, when the K-1 was yet to come and the debate about "FF = YES, FF= NO" was hot, I gave similar reasons to support my idea that the FF was a must, and it would have little adverse consequences. So let's be hopeful
Cha buddy! Thanks for the info Cyberjunkie. I learneded something.
12-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by johnhilvert Quote

Even though it has the same processor as the K5ii, I find that the captures from the K-01 have a unique brightly colorful and pleasingly "soft" look to them, which makes it great for portraits. For some reason, I cannot replicate the "look" I get with the K-01 on my K5ii, even using the same lens and color settings.

---------- Post added 12-04-18 at 03:29 PM ----------

My biggest gripe about the K-01 is not the lack of viewfinder, but the fact that the screen is impossible to see in the sun, unless using one of those bulky and unsightly aftermarket screen hoods
01-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
My biggest gripe about the K-01 is not the lack of viewfinder, but the fact that the screen is impossible to see in the sun, unless using one of those bulky and unsightly aftermarket screen hoods
As someone who shoots in the bright conditions of Florida, the best solution is a hat. It cuts down on the reflections dramatically, no need for a bulky hood.
01-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #13

I use an unsightly hoood "permanently" taped on with unsightly gaffers tape. still happy with the camera!
01-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

People must still be enjoying them - go look for one on ebay - only one available on the Australian subsite comes from Japan at $538 - sheesh.
01-25-2019, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a clearviewer on my bricks, one hand across the top and where its close to the face glare is removed. if you also wear a ball hat then its even better.