Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Q-style or MX-1 stype modern camera?

I love my original, Q, but it's long in the tooth. I'm planning on a Q-S1 shortly, just so I can continue to use my lenses. (Sad that the Q line appears to be a dead end)

Anyhow, I've been using my Q on motorcycle trips, where space is at a premium... and since I'm upgrading, I've actually got to thinking that I don't even own a P&S camera anymore. So I'd like to get something with the same kind of style as a Pentax MX-1, but with a modern sensor. I could buy an old MX-1, but I'm wanting something new, something under $300, with a good FAST lens. What are my options? Noting that a retro theme is very much a positive. It brings me a lot of pleasure to shoot with a camera that looks and feels like a camera should, and my subjects feel a lot more at ease. People ask me about the camera, instead of avoid me as they do when I have my K-30 around my neck. I'm looking for something that has a similar vibe.

Charles.

10-09-2018, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MX-1 (and Q-S1) have modern BSI sensors (not to mention bigger/much better than your original Q). Sensor technology hasn't changed all that much in the recent few years, so camera makers are resorting to processing as a means to improve RAW files (in Pentax's case, an "accelerator chip"). That's the only thing one would get from a more modern camera in those styles, along with maybe different controls and/or a better JPEG engine. And of course, better video.
I wouldn't worry at all about using those cameras nowadays for a nice compact solution - unless you worry about the status of using a camera that is not the latest... and if you worried about status you wouldn't shoot Pentax anyway
10-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

For your criteria of under $300, a new model, and compact like the MX-1 with a fast lens, I'm not sure such a thing exists. I would just go with the Q-S1 if you already have the lenses and are comfortable using it. Or maybe look into a first-generation Sony RX100 that has a 1" sensor and f/1.8 aperture (at wide end only), so it should be better in low light than the Q series, but it still exceeds your $300 budget, though not by that much (I see it on sale at B&H for $368 brand new, or less used). But the RX100 definitely does not have a retro style!
10-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hrm, okay. My assumption is that a modern camera would have a faster UI, faster burst rate, better ISO performance, and would be able to write faster (more images in burst mode), and also load up faster and preview Raw images faster and allow focus peaking in video mode. Basically, I want a fast camera. The original Q is sooooo slooooooooooooooooooooow even with the fastest memory card I could find.

Also, it's not possible to find an MX-1 new anymore. And Q-S1 prices are insane on the 'bay.

I remember there being an olympus with a fast zoom lens that came out at the same time as the MX1, and a few other similar fast cameras, but it was a long time ago, and I was hoping one or two of them had been upgraded.

Charles.

10-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I think manufacturers have given up the smaller sensor compacts and most start with the 1" sensor for their enthusiast model. But these are all far more than $300, sadly. I do have a retro-cool Olympus E-P5 (with micro-four thirds sensor) that I got refurbished from the Olympus Outlet Store, and it looks like a MX-1 but with a great touchscreen, fast autofocus, good video, etc. There is an Olympus E-M10 Mark II with retractable lens for $430 here: E-M10 Mark II Silver Body with 14-42mm Silver EZ Lens (Reconditioned) | Olympus But it is not very compact.
10-09-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you upgrade the firmware on your Q? The newer firmware improved the AF and startup times.

The Olympus XZ-2 used the same sensor and lens as the MX-1, but also has an EVF option.
Small sensor though 1/1.7, same as the Q7 and Q-S1. The image quality is great for a sensor that size, but there are other options in your budget with bigger sensors.

One of the Sony RX100 series is probably going to have the best firepower/size ratio for your budget as long as like the handling.
10-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not looking for any kind of removable lens camera. I want a point and shoot with a decent sensor, a fast lens, and a decent vintage look. So the olympus E-P5 is not something I'm interested in. The Sony is a step in the right direction, at least.

I'm not seeing anything in the ballpark on adorama, even when going out to $500. I guess that means none of the retro-inspired cameras available a few years ago got an upgrade. That stinks.

Charles.

10-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

You could look at the Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II in silver color -- very compact, modern features, looks pretty stylish and sort of retro with the brown leather accents. $430 with a 1" sensor and f/2 lens (on wide end only)
Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II Digital Camera (Silver) 1718C001
10-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Did you upgrade the firmware on your Q? The newer firmware improved the AF and startup times.

The Olympus XZ-2 used the same sensor and lens as the MX-1, but also has an EVF option.
Small sensor though 1/1.7, same as the Q7 and Q-S1. The image quality is great for a sensor that size, but there are other options in your budget with bigger sensors.

One of the Sony RX100 series is probably going to have the best firepower/size ratio for your budget as long as like the handling.
I did upgrade the firmware on my Q. Startup and AF times aren't the problems. The time to review an image after taking it is a huge issue with the original Q. The camera menus and review are not responsive for a few seconds after taking a photo in RAW or RAW+ modes.

The XZ2 was the Olympus I was thinking about. The small sensor kills it for me. The RX100 on the other hand doesn't have a very fast lens. It's abysmally slow when zoomed.

The Samsung EX2F and Panasonic LX7 use the teeny sensor in the MX1. They're also old and outdated, but they've got the fast zoom lenses.

The Fujifilm X20 has a larger sensor and an optical viewfinder, but it's still old. So far it's the best contender if I'm going to end up buying used. But I'd rather find something modern that fits the bill.

Charles.
10-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Not super stylish, but you could also consider Canon G7 X Mark II, which has 1" sensor and fast f/1.8-2.8 lens. $500 refurb price: https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-g7-x-mark-ii-refurbished
10-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #11
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Q-S1 prices are insane on the 'bay

Yes. I was fortunate to pick up a Q7 for reasonable dollars. I wonder if Ricoh would sell a licence to allow the Q mount to be used by someone else. We (I use that term very loosely - I mean someone) could do a kickstarter and get a new body with updated everything manufactured in that place where everything is cheaper to make.
10-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #12
Pentaxian

And Q-S1 prices are insane on the 'bay.
I wouldn't worry too much about money-laundering scams on t'bay.

But Ricoh in Japan is still selling off its stock of Q-S1s for JPY 42,800

???????/???????/PENTAX Q-S1/PENTAX Q-S1 ??? | RICOH IMAGING

You might be able to get one through Rakuten or the like.
Or just pick up one (or a Q7) from the marketplace here.
They're much faster than the original Q,
and have way more depth of field than the 1" or bigger sensors,
which is a real benefit with the 06 telephoto zoom,
or adapting a K-mount tele.
10-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I wouldn't worry too much about money-laundering scams on t'bay.

But Ricoh in Japan is still selling off its stock of Q-S1s for JPY 42,800

???????/???????/PENTAX Q-S1/PENTAX Q-S1 ??? | RICOH IMAGING

You might be able to get one through Rakuten or the like.
Or just pick up one (or a Q7) from the marketplace here.
They're much faster than the original Q,
and have way more depth of field than the 1" or bigger sensors,
which is a real benefit with the 06 telephoto zoom,
or adapting a K-mount tele.
A new Q-S1 goes for twice his upper limit.
I am very pleased with my Q-7, which I purchased new-like-used from an Amazon-affiliated company, but I have no idea what the usual experience is.

Even then, used Q-S1's start at $400 on eBay, although Q-7's are available for somewhat less.
10-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm not looking for any kind of removable lens camera. I want a point and shoot with a decent sensor, a fast lens, and a decent vintage look
maybe mx 1? ;-)
seriously, great camera.. I don't really care about the latest & greatest for a p&s. it is just a very nice camera to use and with more than good enough IQ.
I'm not aware of something newer that will beat that package. Maybe sthing from fujifilm.
10-09-2018, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I am very pleased with my Q-7, which I purchased new-like-used from an Amazon-affiliated company, but I have no idea what the usual experience is.
As far as I'm concerned, the Q7 is a formidable camera. Not only does it operate just like a DSLR or larger mirrorless camera, but the image quality is great, and it responds very well to post-processing. The small sensor is capable of way better image quality than I expected when I bought mine, and continues to impress me. Frankly, I wish I'd bought two of them and kept one aside in case mine ever fails...