Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As far as I'm concerned, the Q7 is a formidable camera. Not only does it operate just like a DSLR or larger mirrorless camera, but the image quality is great, and it responds very well to post-processing. The small sensor is capable of way better image quality than I expected when I bought mine, and continues to impress me. Frankly, I wish I'd bought two of them and kept one aside in case mine ever fails...
There are still some good-looking ones out there right now. I've thought about getting a silver one to back up my yellow one {silver was my original choice - but $250 for one with shutter count=50 was too good to turn down} .... but I don't use it enough to convince me I need a backup.

added: I'm not sure whether these are new listings, or I just missed them before, but there are 3 new Q-7 kits listed now ...... for $700+

Last edited by reh321; 10-09-2018 at 04:18 PM.
10-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't use it enough to convince me I need a backup.
I'm the same. I mean, I do use mine... I even use my original Q, though not as much. However, it's not an every day, week or even an every month thing. But I've used the Q7 quite a bit since I bought it, and some of my favourite photos were taken with it. I just know I'll be disappointed when it gives up (which could be years from now... or next week)
10-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #18
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Frankly, I wish I'd bought two of them and kept one aside in case mine ever fails...
I did buy two (as well as two Q-S1s), but they were considerably cheaper then. Mine have been solid so far; one of the Q-S1s even survived a fall from a moving bicycle!
10-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
I did buy two (as well as two Q-S1s), but they were considerably cheaper then. Mine have been solid so far; one of the Q-S1s even survived a fall from a moving bicycle!
Nice

I bought my Q7 + two lens kit from Japan when the prices were pretty much at their lowest, so I count myself lucky. Shoulda bought two, though

10-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member

A 2nd hand Fujifilm X30 if you can get it at your price point. Also includes an evf which is nice when its bright outside. I bought one but wouldn't pay more than $300. I got it for $300 Australian about a year ago.

Except for the Sony RX100's the compact is a dying breed and to be honest phone camera's are improving a lot, especcially on the software side, multiple lenses and integrated fake bokeh, portrait mode (on the multiple lens camera phones).
10-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
A new Q-S1 goes for twice his upper limit.
No, JPY 42,800 is less than USD 380, so not too far from OP's USD 300.
10-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
No, JPY 42,800 is less than USD 380, so not too far from OP's USD 300.
I was talking about prices on U.S. eBay - apparently not a good place to get best prices from Japanese merchants.

10-09-2018, 07:50 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Except for the Sony RX100's the compact is a dying breed and to be honest phone camera's are improving a lot, especcially on the software side, multiple lenses and integrated fake bokeh, portrait mode (on the multiple lens camera phones).
Is this where someone should mention that Ricoh has recently announced they will be announcing another GR?
10-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
So I've been reading up on these cameras, and the choice is between an MX-1, a Fujifilm X20, and a Fujifilm X30.

After scouring the DPReview site, there are very little differences in IQ between the two Fuji's and the MX-1. The Q7 is noticeably down in IQ comparatively. So it just becomes about features.

The X30 is the newest, released in 2014. It has a very nice EVF, wifi, tilting screen, hybrid AF (phase detection) and good battery life.
The X20 has the same sensor and lens and phase detection AF as the X30, with an overlay optical viewfinder (85%), no wifi, no tilting screen, and middling battery life.
The MX-1 has the Pentax menus I already know, but no solid advantage otherwise. It doesn't have phase detection AF, it doesn't have wifi, it doesn't have a viewfinder.

The more I think on it, the more I'm thinking WiFi would be a real advantage when I'm shooting photos from the motorcycle. I carry a netbook with me so I can blog and upload photos, but if I had the wifi in the camera I might be able to do that with my phone instead. Although, would that be possible to do with an Eye-Fi card? (I've never used one). The Fuji has a lot of added functionality in its built-in wifi, not just downloading files but manipulating the camera as well. So that's a big plus. It is however over my budget and also discontinued. D'oh. Used models are in the $400 range.

The X20 then might be an option, as used copies go for considerably less. Optical viewfinder and phase detection is a considerable advantage over the MX-1... but the MX-1 does appeal to me more visually. If I could get the MX at a good price I'd do it, otherwise I think I'll look for an X20.

All the while I'm still also looking for a Q7 or Q-S1.

Charles

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-10-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Removed response to sale offer
10-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, while scouring eBay for cameras, I found an X20 for a really good price... and then a Q7 for an equally awesome price, from a reputable camera dealer, with the box and all the extras, right down to the little baggies, and "like new" condition... which is not inaccurate. Plus a WARRANTY. So I bailed on the X20 and got the Q7 instead! I looked it up before I bought, and KEH apparently grades gear very conservatively. An "excellent" grade is akin to most people's "mint". And this was true to that. I couldn't tell that this wasn't a new camera. All the baggies were there, the box was a little worn on the outside, but everything inside looked perfect. None of the accessories had ever been opened. Cables and straps still in their ties in the baggies. VERY nice. $161 for a black one. Could have got it for $15 cheaper if I was willing to have a yellow camera. (I was not).

So my search for an X20 or MX-1 will be put off until next month. In the meantime I'll be playing with this Q7. I'm already LOVING the fisheye on the bigger sensor. It looks much more fishy! I'm excited to try the Q7 in low light and with adapted lenses, and compare it to the original Q.

Charles.
10-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #26
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I'm already LOVING the fisheye on the bigger sensor. It looks much more fishy!
Make sure you try the paper-over-the-contacts trick with the 03: Fish-Eye Options for the Q - PentaxForums.com
10-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #27

KEH has Q7 bodies well under $300. Since you already have the lenses, perhaps this is the best option. They also have an MX-1 in you price range.

Pentax Q7 Mirrorless Digital Camera Body, Yellow with Black Grips {12.4 M/P} at KEH Camera Store

Pentax MX-1 Silver Digital Camera {12 M/P} at KEH Camera Store

Edit: Sorry, missed the last few posts before i posted this.
10-15-2018, 10:22 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got my Q7 body from KEH!

While I like the MX-1, and the image quality compares favorably to the Fujifilm X20... the X20 has an optical viewfinder, and is in the same price range as the MX-1. The X-30 has a digital viewfinder, which isn't as great in my book, but it also has built-in wifi. It's a hard choice between those three.

Charles.
10-22-2018, 02:10 AM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
After scouring the DPReview site, there are very little differences in IQ between the two Fuji's and the MX-1. The Q7 is noticeably down in IQ comparatively. So it just becomes about features.
This doesn't really make sense, does it? Since the Q7 has the same sensor as the MX-1 if I'm right. Then the Q7 also gives you all the advantages of interchangable lenses. Glad you found a Q7, I have one since almost a year and have enjoyed it quite much. I don't know about the Fuji options but better Af and a viewfinder would of course be welcome improvements. Transfer to phone works very well with a Toshiba flashair card for me.
10-22-2018, 02:25 AM   #30
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Subjektiv Quote
This doesn't really make sense, does it? Since the Q7 has the same sensor as the MX-1 if I'm right. Then the Q7 also gives you all the advantages of interchangable lenses. Glad you found a Q7, I have one since almost a year and have enjoyed it quite much. I don't know about the Fuji options but better Af and a viewfinder would of course be welcome improvements. Transfer to phone works very well with a Toshiba flashair card for me.
The MX-1 and Q7 have virtually identical image quality if you look at DPR's old test scene tool and compare the raw files. Plus, both produce sharper and more detailed raw images than the Fuji X-20. Whether that's down to the lens, sensor or processing between sensor and raw image is debatable. Where there Fuji wins is in lower levels of colour and luminance noise at higher ISOs, but a small amount of noise reduction in post-processing for MX-1 and Q7 images negates that advantage. And the extra detail that the MX-1 and Q7 capture is preferable, in my opinion.

DPR comparison - MX-1 vs Q7 vs X-20