Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

A new pancake-ish Limited prime or a Q or a GR or... something else? Help my GAS!

I'm returning to photography after a bit of a hiatus for the past couple of years and want to treat myself to something to help fire my re-kindled enthusiasm.
What I have is my beloved old K-x which taught me photography, a small collection of SMC M primes which led to a whole detour into film.

What's stuck to the front of my K-x most of the time though is a Miranda 24mm macro A-lens which happened to come with an impulse ebay purchase.
It's manual focus but infinity is very close on that lens so most of the time I just zone focus it a touch short of infinity and don't worry about it!

I'm been thinking about investing in some nice glass, maybe one of the Limited primes, like a 21mm or a 40mm or 43mm. I've been soul-searching and realised I never enjoyed stop-down metering on the M primes, there was a lot of times (e.g. motorcyling) where even if I brought my K-x it would stay in a backpack. My favourite photos came from either that random 24mm A-lens or from a pair of tiny Canon p&s film cameras.

Pocketable cameras with leaf-shutters = joy!

So, I'm having second thoughts about the lens purchase (or a KP) and thinking instead about a GR II or even a Q camera or something else entirely?

But I don't really know what else is out there or if these options make sense.

10-21-2018, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

A GR or a Fujifilm X-100 series, would really make sense, especially in the size and the leaf shutter department.
10-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow... Lots of options to consider.

I personally don't own the DA 21 but I do own and enjoy the DA 40 and DA 70. These are both great small lenses with lovely rendering.

A small camera can be a lot of fun also. I own a Panasonic LX7 which has the same basic sensor size as the QS1 albeit a smaller image circle due to the way the LX7 does multiple image ratios. That size sensor struggles a bit with low light but not as badly as you might think if you shoot raw and use good post processing. The Q ecosystem also has some fun lens options.

The GR is astonishing itself and superb for street shooter style photography. It reminds me of my old Yashica Electro 35CC rangefinder. There is a magic to a wide angle fixed lens camera.

You have a lot of great choices and it is hard to narrow things down.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 10-22-2018 at 06:20 AM.
10-22-2018, 04:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I sold my Q; just could not warm up to it. I love the Pentax primes including the pancake. Most of my shots are done w the 15 or 21.

10-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I faced a similar choice between the DA 21 or a GR. The GR won and I don't regret the choice. It's a good blend of compactness, image quality, and price. If your budget is $500 the GR2 is a good choice.
10-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #6
Unregistered User

I'm a big Q fan but I think you might be happier with a GR, the Qs aren't as pocketable as a GR or Fuji. The Q's are much more versatile, albeit with smaller sensor, however.
10-22-2018, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Either the F or FA series 28mm f2.8 lens might be exactly what you're looking for. I think the F is sharper, FA has possibly more interesting out-of-focus rendering. Very useful focal length on APS-C cameras that I've complained about not having available in a new lens for some time now.

What M lenses do you have and like the most on your digital camera? That might help. I don't really know what holes you're trying to fill.

10-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blacknosugar Quote
...I never enjoyed stop-down metering on the M primes, there was a lot of times (e.g. motorcyling) where even if I brought my K-x it would stay in a backpack.
So, I'm having second thoughts about the lens purchase (or a KP) and thinking instead about a GR II or even a Q camera or something else entirely?...
That part above has me rethinking my prior recommendation for the GR.

Did the Kx stay in the backpack solely because of the metering with old lenses, or did it take too long to fish out the camera for 1 shot? If it took too long to retrieve, a KP or any other DSLR will have the same issue and the GR is a fantastic choice. If metering with old lenses was the issue, though, a K-70 plus 18-135 lens is a very versatile combo that can be found for under $800 new at B&H. You'll get a major body upgrade plus a modern lens. The KP costs significantly more than the K-70 with similar performance.

$500 GR2 vs $800 K-70 18-135? GR2 wins price and size. K-70 wins image quality, versatility, plus compatibility with your existing lenses.
10-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Did the Kx stay in the backpack solely because of the metering with old lenses, or did it take too long to fish out the camera for 1 shot?
With motorcycling for example it was a process of pull over to admire some scenery then;
- put down sidestand
- step off bike
- wriggle off backpack, made awkward by motorcycle jacket
- take off both gloves to fish out and operate camera
- take off helmet to use viewfinder because LiveView seemed unnatural and is not great on the K-x
- find somewhere to put gloves and helmet, and it's probably windy
- reverse all of the above

vs.
pull over and;
- take off one glove
- reach into jacket pocket for camera phone
- replace phone & glove, click back into 1st gear and on my way

The GR is edging into the lead so far. I hope I'll still use my DSLR if I go that way.
I've also discovered the Fujifilm X70 which I'm now considering.

---------- Post added 10-22-18 at 07:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
What M lenses do you have and like the most on your digital camera? That might help. I don't really know what holes you're trying to fill.
I will check out those 28's you suggested.
As far as I remember I have:
Pentax-M SMC
- 28mm f3.5
- 50mm f1.7
- 100mm f2.8
- 135mm f3.5

As I said, I liked that 24mm Miranda lens the best but I think I enjoyed the SMC 28mm a lot too.
Hmm... maybe I 'need' a wide zoom?
10-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What's your budget like? The 20 to 30mm range is covered by many zoom lenses.

I find that if I just want to capture an image and I don't care about it being overly artistic or really interesting to look at, I grab a decent zoom like the Pentax DA 18-135. If I want something with nicer out-of-focus rendering, or better low light performance, or something smaller, or something to make me think a little more about what I'm doing, I grab a prime (or two) before heading out. Different options for different situations & what kind of mood I'm in before I leave the house.
10-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an older GR Digital IV (with the small sensor), and it's the best truly pocketable camera that I've ever had. I forget that it's on me until I need it. It's possible that I may replace it with the upcoming GR III. From what I've seen it looks like it will combine the best features of the GRD IV and the GR II.

I have the Q7 premium kit, which I use a lot. That includes the 01, 02, 03, 06 and 08 lenses. The cool thing about this is, I can keep the camera and all these lenses in a very small bag that's easy to grab and take everywhere. The negative is, even with the smallest lens it doesn't fit comfortably in a pocket. (I can kind of stuff it into some of the bigger pockets, but I can't forget it's there!) Also the LCD is not as bright and sharp as the GRD IV.

For more "serious" shooting I've gone to a Sony A7 with adapters and vintage SLR lenses. I've used Pentax-M and Pentax-A lenses, and M42 thread mount (including Takumars), and some Konica Hexanon AR lenses too. Manual focusing is much easier than trying to use these lenses on a DSLR, because the Sony provides both focus peaking and magnification options. Iris control is not an issue, since composing and focusing generally works just fine at the taking aperture.

Last edited by Tony Belding; 10-22-2018 at 02:30 PM.
10-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If you go DSLR, another vote for the DA 21

Sample

Last edited by tokyoscape; 10-22-2018 at 02:39 PM.
10-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Going to add Olympus EM10, mk2. With lens like Lumix 12-32 is not much bigger than a Q camera. Oly can also take all the A and M lenses very well with adapter. I find the Pentax lenses easier on my Oly than a Pentax body with auto ISO and focus peaking with zoom focus aid.
10-22-2018, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
Going to add Olympus EM10, mk2. With lens like Lumix 12-32 is not much bigger than a Q camera. Oly can also take all the A and M lenses very well with adapter. I find the Pentax lenses easier on my Oly than a Pentax body with auto ISO and focus peaking with zoom focus aid.
I can strongly recommend the Panasonic 35-100 f4-5.6 as a companion to the 12-32. It is tiny and sharp.
11-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I just bought Limiteds 40 and 70mm, not just for the k-50 but also for micro 4/3 bodies. Both of them (used) were far cheaper than the native 4/3 options such as 75/1.8 or 42.5, slightly slower but smaller even w/ adapter. I also prefer skipping the massive autocorrections that many m4:3 lenses hide behind; mostly zooms but once the slope gets slippery who can say?

I have a vivitar 24 so the DA21 can wait a bit.