Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2019, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Customer rationale..

.. It's funny.

When Fuji and Sony introduced mirrorless models, years ago, there was all this arguing in Pentax forums that DSLR was too big, and mirrorless was so much smaller.
Now, I read the comments in DPR forum, about the Panasonic S1R: "As for the size of the cameras, all I can say I wish my Sony A9 were as large as these [S1/R]."

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-02-2019 at 03:37 AM.
02-02-2019, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

It was very similar with mobile phones in the past (the ones with real buttons). Every next iteration was smaller to the point that you couldn't use them comfortably with regular hands. And if you use something often (or even very day) than ergonomics is one of the most important thing. And people tend to forget that each person has different preferences.
02-02-2019, 08:15 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's comparing with what is currently available and most recent. So if the complaint about slrs was that they could be smaller, the first few release of mirror less tried to address that. Then the current thing to fix is ergonomics. Soon we'll realize that a high resolution high refresh evf drains battery and will wish for optical viewfinders again, completing the circle
02-02-2019, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
.. It's funny.

When Fuji and Sony introduced mirrorless models, years ago, there was all this arguing in Pentax forums that DSLR was too big, and mirrorless was so much smaller.
Now, I read the comments in DPR forum, about the Panasonic S1R: "As for the size of the cameras, all I can say I wish my Sony A9 were as large as these [S1/R]."
Well, I found that out with my Nex 7 andA7R. At the time I also had an A850----much more comfortable to use, and I don't have huge hands.

My first serious camera was a Rollei 35LED---sweet little thing but it hardly had much in the way of knobs, rings, or buttons to manipulate, and the ones it did have could be fiddly. All this weight/size business is a bit quizzical. My experiences backpacking and portaging on canoe trips is that what makes as much difference as the weight is the way it is carried. A crappy strap is going to be uncomfortable over time no matter what. Thus it pays to spend extra time getting a good one (for you).

I lucked into a fantastic strap for my 645Z, and I can carry that all day easily without any discomfort. Bags are the same, although if it's a single shoulder model just being unbalanced takes its toll---I do a hybrid commute that involves 5-8 miles walking a day plus a train ride, and a heavy messenger bag can be wearing.

But for ergonomics, cameras can be easily too small, and it's better if they are a bit too big than a bit too small, IMO.