Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2019, 05:40 AM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As much as people have complained about Pentax's slowness at rolling out new lenses, I cannot believe anyone would expect them to create yet another mount.
I think that up to some exceptions there is not so big size difference between DSLR and MLC - MLC are growing generation by generation. So, having a body like KP is sufficient for Pentax. If a body like KP would be equipped with an electronic viewfinder, there would be no need for constructing new lenses. Pentax limited lenses are small enough and amazing at the same time.

It would be interesting to have our current KP and KP-e having EVF only - what would attract more customers?

03-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went from Pentax K5 a few years back to Sony A7r due to the size and extra resolution. Some people mention that a mirrorless camera + zoom negates the size benefits which is true, but stick a small pancake lens on an a7 and its really a tiny FF camera. So its becomes a flexible system, it can be small if you chose lenses wisely but not with a 70-200 F2.8 zoom.

The downside of the Sony system used to be the eye watering price of lenses. This is not such an issue now as there are now many lenses in the lineup which are both good and low (ish) price. But for the fest few years of the system the lens lineup was limited and quite expensive.
03-07-2019, 07:11 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mde1970 Quote
The downside of the Sony system used to be the eye watering price of lenses. This is not such an issue now as there are now many lenses in the lineup which are both good and low (ish) price. But for the fest few years of the system the lens lineup was limited and quite expensive.
Sounds like a description of modern Pentax FF lenses - but in both cases one could also use older manual focus lenses.
03-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #64
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As much as people have complained about Pentax's slowness at rolling out new lenses, I cannot believe anyone would expect them to create yet another mount.
you don't need a new mount.

03-07-2019, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Somehow taking a step back in photography reveal the big picture. Mirrorless is a distration. The vast majority of technology companies and their customers end up losing sight of what's important.
03-08-2019, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #66
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

In May this year I am looking to buy a camera for vlog's while I travel - so small, light, flip screen and 4K video is the specification. My budget for this gear is up to USD $4,000. The first project I need to use this camera on is in Vanuatu in early August, so the purchase is planned for late May to allow time to test the camera/lens functionality and use.

Unfortunately no Pentax camera currently meets this specification, and I am starting to look elsewhere (Panasonic, Sony or Fuji), although I like the Pentax system and I have plenty of Pentax lenses that would be suitable for the projects planned.

I would be happy with an updated K-70 with a video specification to 4K or even full 1080p with 60/120fps. Or a small light Pentax mirrorless camera with a good video spec. would also do the job nicely.

As others have already noted, video has not been a Pentax priority, and this has been noted in user surveys and by company reps. As a result, I am not at all hopeful regarding Pentax providing such a camera any time soon.

When I currently travel I take my K-3 and really enjoy the output for stills.

An option would be a K-P or K-70 and see if I can live with the video output in the interim. I can only take one camera and a few lenses while travelling, so I am loath to move away from Pentax if I don't have to.

In summary I would be very happy if Pentax released a small, light K-mount DSLR or mirrorless camera with a decent video specification, and would buy the camera as soon as it was released.
03-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Somehow taking a step back in photography reveal the big picture. Mirrorless is a distration. The vast majority of technology companies and their customers end up losing sight of what's important.
Now that I have usable high ISO values available, the main issue I have had with using my KP in dark conditions is that I have to switch to LV - and there is no way I can hold the camera as stably then as I do with the OVF. EVF or hybrid viewfinder would fix that for me - when I talk about using MILC it is precisely because I have kept sight of what is important to me.