Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2019, 10:28 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q vs Q7 - much difference?

I previously owned a Pentax Q7 and loved it.

Thinking of maybe buying another one.

I have found a good deal on the original Q.

From strictly an image quality standpoint, is the Q7 much better than the Q; or are they about equal in the IQ area?

Thanks,

04-21-2019, 12:00 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The build quality of the Q is better, but the image quality of the Q7 is (in my opinion) considerably better, especially above base ISO.

More importantly for me, the larger sensor increases the angle of view of the wider lenses (up to and including the 01 prime) wider, making them more useful.
The loss of reach with the 06 telephoto zoom and adapted lenses is relatively trivial.
04-21-2019, 02:44 AM - 3 Likes   #3

Photos: Albums
Sandy is spot on, if it's image quality look out for the Q7 or more elusive Q-S1.

The original is so beautifully built that I am beginning to wonder if I could swap the innards of my Q and Q7 around!
04-21-2019, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

As Sandy and Ronnie have said, the Q-7 and Q-S1 offer better image quality, and a physically larger sensor that results in a slightly wider field of view. It's also worth bearing in mind that a number of the original Qs have developed backup battery problems such that they lose time and date settings when switched off, or immediately after the main battery is removed. That aside, it's still a great little camera and capable of taking wonderful photos.

04-21-2019, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #5

Q7 and Q-S1 have better image quality not only as result of lower noise level (bigger sensor) but also as result of lack of anti-aliasing filter. In my opinion this filter in original Q is strong and it kills image resolution.
So visible resolution on photography from Q7 and Q-S1 is in my opinion better than Q despite the same sensor resolution (as I remember there is comparison of IQ of Q7 and Q in Q7 test on Pentaxforums).
04-21-2019, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a standard image from the original Q using the 06 lens. If it would satisfy you, then you have that option.
04-21-2019, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladawiec Quote
Q7 and Q-S1 have better image quality not only as result of lower noise level (bigger sensor) but also as result of lack of anti-aliasing filter. In my opinion this filter in original Q is strong and it kills image resolution.
I understood the original Q did not have an AA filter either. Can you provide documentation that I'm mistaken?

04-21-2019, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I understood the original Q did not have an AA filter either. Can you provide documentation that I'm mistaken?
Sorry, maybe really I am wrong. I remember from years ago the information in some review or test that Q7 has no filter or it has filter but with lower strenght (and probably the second option is correct). But as I remember this information was no from documentation but it was author's supposition due to fact that image resolution in Q7 was higher than Q.
04-21-2019, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Depends perhaps on the goodness of the Q deal you found, but Q7/S1 are unarguably better in IQ. They are only available used, though, at $300+.
04-21-2019, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I don't think any of the Qs had an AA filter, the Q7 has better image quality from its bigger sensor (almost 50% more area) as you would expect. Both sensors are backlit CMOS, I think pretty similar except the size.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 04-21-2019 at 10:50 AM.
04-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by bladawiec Quote
Sorry, maybe really I am wrong. I remember from years ago the information in some review or test that Q7 has no filter or it has filter but with lower strenght (and probably the second option is correct). But as I remember this information was no from documentation but it was author's supposition due to fact that image resolution in Q7 was higher than Q.
I found one mention about AA filter in old article in Techradar:
"In addition to changing the size of the sensor in the Q7, Pentax has changed the filter over it and, following the current vogue, there is no anti-aliasing filter."
Link.

If it is true it can be the source of better image resolution (I think here only about resolution) in Q7 as I wrote before. Sensor size mainly can result in the noise level.

Last edited by bladawiec; 04-21-2019 at 01:13 PM.
04-21-2019, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here are some direct comparisons between the two:
Pentax Q7 Review - Compared to the Q | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here are some direct comparisons between the two:
Pentax Q7 Review - Compared to the Q | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Interesting. I've always known the Q-7 had better image quality, but never noticed it was so much better than the original Q in terms of resolving capability. I happily shoot both, but mainly the Q-7...
04-21-2019, 05:15 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At one time I had both the Q and Q7 with the 06 and 08 lenses and did some practical comparisons.

- When processed image sizes of identical subjects were compared the Q7 had the advantage although it might have been a non-issue depending on the subject and/or post processing.

- Although the crop factor gives the Q an initial advantage for using long FL lenses, the better IQ of the Q7 allowed cropping to achieve the same image size at similar IQ. The slight differences in DOF and POV were rarely noticeable unless directly comparing identical images.

- The Q7 is preferable whenever wider FL effects are desired. There are some things you simply can't easily do in close quarters.

- The Q does have an advantage for some macro and close-up situations.

- With both available, I rarely chose to use the Q or carried it as the only body. It became a 'special project' camera and a convenient way to access the longer FL lens.

While I believe the Q7 is the better overall choice, and is certainly the more utilitarian one, the BEST one of the two was the one in hand when the urge to use it happened. I'm now happy with two Q7's as a fine compact travel kit.

I prefer the 'feel' of the Q7 over the QS-1.
04-21-2019, 07:12 PM - 10 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sold my Q and Q10 soon after getting the Q7.
It's still my go-to covert concert shooting camera - the 06 is so good you just leave it wide open and shoot.