Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2019, 10:11 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I previously owned a Pentax Q7 and loved it.

Thinking of maybe buying another one.

I have found a good deal on the original Q.

From strictly an image quality standpoint, is the Q7 much better than the Q; or are they about equal in the IQ area?

Thanks,

I have both.

Without close scrutiny, which I don't bother with when using the Q series, I'd still think the Q7 is better.
1. Better AF (esp in lower light)
2. Better colors indoors.
3. Better FOV for the 01

04-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As Sandy and Ronnie have said, the Q-7 and Q-S1 offer better image quality, and a physically larger sensor that results in a slightly wider field of view. It's also worth bearing in mind that a number of the original Qs have developed backup battery problems such that they lose time and date settings when switched off, or immediately after the main battery is removed. That aside, it's still a great little camera and capable of taking wonderful photos.
My Q-7 loses time within a few minutes when the main battery is removed, as does my K-30 - I can't dawdle when changing batteries.
04-24-2019, 02:18 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
The original is so beautifully built that I am beginning to wonder if I could swap the innards of my Q and Q7 around!
I like styling of the Q-7 much much more!!

If I had gotten a silver one {yellow cost me less} it would have look-and-feel of the range-finder camera which was my first 35mm camera.
04-24-2019, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Reading threads like this reminds me (not that I need reminding) of how much I appreciate my Q-7.

I have a few days' break scheduled for early June, deep in the Northumberland countryside. I'll be taking my K-3 and two or three lenses for the serious stuff, but also the Q-7, 01, 02 and 06. On the days where I'll be walking for longer, it'll most likely be the Q-7 that accompanies me. That's the thing with the Q-7 (and Q-S1, of course)... I never worry that I'll have to compromise all that much on image quality, especially shooting raw. Pretty cool for a camera and lenses that weigh next to nothing...

04-30-2019, 12:06 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I sold away my Q a few years back and recently bought over a Q7 from a buddy. It came with the 01, 02 and 06 lenses.
11-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #21
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I spotted a pretty decent deal on a Q10 Evengelion, but from reading here, I'd be better off on waiting on a Q7/S1 deal? Did the Q7/S1 ever come in crazy color schemes like this? I can't help but think that a color scheme like that would make people dismiss the camera as anything serious and let me use it in more places without as much fuss.

(I was just at a venue that posted no "professional" cameras which I think the Q10 Evengelion would have been allowed in.)
11-05-2019, 09:52 AM   #22
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
Not quite so wild, but there were 40 variants.
That's a pretty impressive lineup. Just did a search on the Q7, only officially released in 3 colors but they had a system to be able to pick from 120 different colors (and possibly different colors for different parts? Can't tell from the pictures.) for a custom order or something. Makes you wonder just what all is out there in the wild.

11-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
That's a pretty impressive lineup. Just did a search on the Q7, only officially released in 3 colors but they had a system to be able to pick from 120 different colors (and possibly different colors for different parts? Can't tell from the pictures.) for a custom order or something. Makes you wonder just what all is out there in the wild.
If I remember correctly, back when the Q-7 was in production, you could order any of the 120 combinations from the official Pentax store, and your order would go into the production queue. A sign that they had ended production was when they stopped taking special orders - likewise for the Q-S1.
11-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I spotted a pretty decent deal on a Q10 Evengelion, but from reading here, I'd be better off on waiting on a Q7/S1 deal? Did the Q7/S1 ever come in crazy color schemes like this? I can't help but think that a color scheme like that would make people dismiss the camera as anything serious and let me use it in more places without as much fuss.

(I was just at a venue that posted no "professional" cameras which I think the Q10 Evengelion would have been allowed in.)
I have not seen any of the more recent "Q" cameras in the 'Evengelion' colors - I do believe they came only for the Q-10, and then only rarely.

In the US, those colors are normally quite expensive .... in the 'above $800' range where their presence registers, but I don't seriously look.

Commonly in the US today, most "Q" models are available only through some place like eBay, and most commonly come from Japan today.
There are usually a few available at $240 or less, but that is the best that is normally available.
11-05-2019, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #25
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That "120 colors" meant a combination of 20 colors on the body itself and 6 colors on the grip (i.e. rubbery material). 20x6=120. Out of 20 body colors, black, yellow and silver were the same as the standard models.

I first bought a standard black/black Q7. Later when I was searching for a backup Q7 I wanted a silver/black but couldn't find it in the USA with a reasonable price, and ended up buying yellow/black with a good price. I've never seen non-standard color Q7 outside of Japan.

At some point they also sold three "special edition" Q7 models where the body color was "crystal white", "crystal blue" or "crystal red".
ASCII.jp?PENTAX Q7?????????????????

Last edited by kwb; 11-05-2019 at 07:29 PM.
11-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #26
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, that will keep me from wasting time looking for some of the more outrageous colors in a Q7 then. As for the Evengelion colors, I'm seeing them on e-bay in about the $150 mark if I'm remembering my recent searches. (I've done so many in the past couple days that I could be getting mixed up.)

Guessing the yellow Q7 is probably going to be the one to find with the best deals. Will also have the most "not a real camera" reaction and get less people eyeing me as I walked around. I'll probably look for a black/black or silver/black if I go the Q route, but we'll see what happens.

Thank you.
11-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #27
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
Not quite so wild, but there were 40 variants.

I've got a Black on Black and a Red on Gunmetal Gray
Ohh, I like the all white model!
11-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #28
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's also worth bearing in mind that a number of the original Qs have developed backup battery problems such that they lose time and date settings when switched off, or immediately after the main battery is removed. That aside, it's still a great little camera and capable of taking wonderful photos
My Q has that problem; but it doesn't bother me at all. I simply put the photos in the current month folder. It is easy to put the correct date back in, but I don't mess with it.
11-07-2019, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
My Q has that problem; but it doesn't bother me at all. I simply put the photos in the current month folder. It is easy to put the correct date back in, but I don't mess with it.
I think my Q is heading that way too, Carol... It's fine with a charged battery installed, but when I swap out batteries it invariably loses the date and time, no matter how quickly I do the swap. As you suggest, it's no biggie
11-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #30
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike, at first it was annoying; but now I don't even bother to reset the date.