Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
Just did a search on the Q7, only officially released in 3 colors but they had a system to be able to pick from 120 different colors (and possibly different colors for different parts? Can't tell from the pictures.) for a custom order or something. Makes you wonder just what all is out there in the wild
I'm sure you will still see some of these cameras in Japanese streets, where it sold pretty well.In North America and Europe, not so much.

11-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #32
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'm sure you will still see some of these cameras in Japanese streets, where it sold pretty well.In North America and Europe, not so much.
Yeah, even searching the auctions doesn't show too many other than the black, silver, and yellow "standard" colors that the Q7 came in. The Q10 mostly shows up in the "standard" colors as well. I think I should have jumped on that crazy colored Q10 as it seems they're a bit harder to find, especially at the lower price points. Perhaps another time.
02-24-2021, 02:02 AM - 4 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did some browsing and I will admit, if I could find a Q10 in this color for a "reasonable" price... I would probably succumb to the temptation.
Attached Images

03-29-2021, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #34
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I still randomly keep an eye out for an Evengelion Type 01 (the purple one) but finding anything for a reasonable price seems to be a lost cause. (Cheapest I've seen recently I think was around the $800 mark which is too rich for my blood for a Q10.)

05-16-2021, 07:30 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still randomly keep an eye out for an Evengelion Type 01 (the purple one) but finding anything for a reasonable price seems to be a lost cause. (Cheapest I've seen recently I think was around the $800 mark which is too rich for my blood for a Q10.)
That's a lot of money for a Q10. I wonder how many customer order color combos were sold? Always thought it would be fun to design one.

Thanks,
barondla
05-24-2021, 10:31 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
A number of the original Qs have developed backup battery problems such that they lose time and date settings.
Is there any danger of the permanent internal clock battery eventually leaking or damaging the camera in any way? Can it be easily removed in case of any risk?
05-25-2021, 06:35 AM   #37
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Is there any danger of the permanent internal clock battery eventually leaking or damaging the camera in any way? Can it be easily removed in case of any risk?
I don't know about the potential for leakage. It's a good point, and one I hadn't considered, though I'd like to think this was taken into account when the cameras were designed and manufactured. If I remember correctly, the battery isn't easily accessible and may even be soldered in place - but that could be a false memory...

05-25-2021, 12:38 PM   #38

I replaced the LCD glass on my Q and recall seeing the little clock battery soldered in place.
It's not gonna leak out, but after a while it won't hold a charge anymore, especially if the cam isn't used much.
The result is that you'll have to re-enter the time and date each battery change.

There was another thread on this, and I think the conclusion was that the battery only gets a trickle charge each time it's turned on.
It's not being charged continuously apparently.

Here are detailed pics of disassembly of an original flavor Q:

Pentax Q disassembly and LCD repair – replacement operation. | kayakfari ( kayak .. far .. i )
05-25-2021, 01:26 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kayakfari Quote
I replaced the LCD glass on my Q and recall seeing the little clock battery soldered in place.
It's not gonna leak out, but after a while it won't hold a charge anymore, especially if the cam isn't used much.
The result is that you'll have to re-enter the time and date each battery change.

There was another thread on this, and I think the conclusion was that the battery only gets a trickle charge each time it's turned on.
It's not being charged continuously apparently.

Here are detailed pics of disassembly of an original flavor Q:

Pentax Q disassembly and LCD repair – replacement operation. | kayakfari ( kayak .. far .. i )
Must get some charge when it is off, because the date/time only disappears if you take the battery out. (Or it uses that battery instead when it is there?)
05-26-2021, 08:16 AM   #40
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I absolutely love my "Q"; but would like to add a Q7 with it.
05-27-2021, 07:12 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's also worth bearing in mind that a number of the original Qs have developed backup battery problems such that they lose time and date settings when switched off, or immediately after the main battery is removed.
My Q7 sometimes does this. Sometimes if I swap the batteries very quickly, it won't lose the time. I guess this is a problem we will all be experiencing more and more in the future.
11-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #42

In my opinion, it depends on the Q deal you come across
11-18-2021, 06:49 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I absolutely love my "Q"; but would like to add a Q7 with it.
I purchased my yellow Q-7 because I could get it cheap - I think the price was around $250 in 2014 for one that came with around 50 shots.
This summer, when I had had it for almost seven years, it began to show its age - not only did I have to have my cellphone handy when I changed the battery {to reset the date}, but I often had to do a ‘hard reboot’ {take the battery out momentarily} when I turned it on to get it to function at all. Meanwhile, it had found a place in my cameras as a light one I could take me when size / being discrete was an issue. I found that most sellers these days are in Japan {not really relevant}, and {more importantly} that they note everything they find important {mostly cosmetic} then pack it for shipping, so I had a hard time finding a seller who could give me a ‘shutter count’ {I wanted a ‘young’ one}. I did eventually find a seller who advertised shutter counts, and got a gold Q-S1 with an advertised count of 112 ….. although the actual count was slightly lower ….. for around $300. I will probably make light use of it, because I want it to last as long as I do {I’m in my mid-70’s}.
11-18-2021, 05:06 PM   #44
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad you found that one. I'm in no hurry; but someday one will come along for me as well.
11-19-2021, 12:17 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There few in Japan for ~$400, some look ok, like this: Anime Purple Evangelion Model Pentax Q10 Camera Limited Edition Japan Used ERMI | eBay