Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2019, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
Let's try to keep it civilizated, i'm just a car mechanic that is passionate about computers, and happens to know how to use a camera, but zero idea about building them.

But who knows how to properly create a camera is Pentax, or let's say Ricoh, and we can see it either with big bodies like the 645 or the K1, or either with tiny bodies like the Ricoh GR III.

My question is, what does it really take to create a mirrorless camera?

There are actual differences between a ML sensor and a DSLR sensor?
If not, how hard should be for Pentax to optimize development costs to slap like, whatever they have? Let's say, a KP/K1 sensor, the Q mount (probably impossible on an APS-C or FF sensor) or even a full K mount (i know that would add some thickness to the camera as we saw on the K-01), and combine what they already have to create something competitive on the mirrorless market? The Pentax user, i think, is more rationale when compromises come to mind, for example, i put the example sometimes that i prefer the weather sealing on my camera than some fancy WiFi connectivity.

I know this isn't that easy, but for example, on my car perspective, isn't that crazy to take a shell, pick whatever engine you like, craft some bits, and end with a pretty dope car which can, or can't, be street legal. I want to believe this can be done by Ricoh if there was some kind of market for mirrorless on the Pentax buyer standpoint.

What do you think?

Personally, I think it can be real easy as in the K01 was easy or as hard as a A7RIII or latest Canikon MILC.

For me, I'd get one even if it did not AF and just had a magnification and focus peaking for manual lenses.
Just need that native Pentax k-mount and Pentax's philosophy of user interface, imaging and features.
Extra points if it looks like a MX, LX, ME.

12-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The thing is, Ricoh already have a capable mirrorless camera in the GR III. Just put a K mount on it and take our money. Or is it not that simple?
It's not than simple, if only because the K-mount's throat diameter and flange distance are huge compared with the GR's tiny body.
12-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
Let's try to keep it civilizated, i'm just a car mechanic that is passionate about computers, and happens to know how to use a camera, but zero idea about building them.

But who knows how to properly create a camera is Pentax, or let's say Ricoh, and we can see it either with big bodies like the 645 or the K1, or either with tiny bodies like the Ricoh GR III.

My question is, what does it really take to create a mirrorless camera?

There are actual differences between a ML sensor and a DSLR sensor?

What do you think?
Traditionally, a MILC used the type of focusing used in LV and is conceptually the same type of focusing we do manually ..... move focus in and out to find the focus point. I believe that today that is called "CDAF". CDAF is not the same as DSLRs use, called "PDAF", which is faster, so the modern MILCs have "PDAF" points on the sensor. The K-70 is the only Pentax camera which is said to have "PDAF" points on the sensor, but it uses them only for video. As far as I know, no PF regular knows whether Sony put language into their contract with Ricoh that prevents Pentax from using on-sensor "PDAF" focusing for focusing still images.

added: PDAF points for a DSLR are located in a special sensor located up near to the prism. Manufacturing tolerance in placing this sensor is the cause of "front" and "rear" AF problems, problems which a MILC doesn't face because it doesn't use a separate sensor for AF.

Last edited by reh321; 12-19-2019 at 04:13 PM.
12-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It's not than simple, if only because the K-mount's throat diameter and flange distance are huge compared with the GR's tiny body.
A new, supersized body would fix the physics. The result would look like a KP but with an EVF instead of a prisma. I could live with that.

01-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New technology as compared to old , the mirror less camera advantage of good video, good auto focus and cheaper is still in initial stage of competition and introductory GR is a trial ( initial product to collect data that leads to perfection of the product ) until sufficient info to create a competitive product. Any invention is not right away perfect in its sense but trials is the way to perfection. In my view the Pentax mirror less camera is coming not just an improved DSLR. Remember VIVITAR film camera was known worldwide before but when digital camera is in they are way behind now in the technology. Where is Mamiya and Yashica of Japan - nowwhere to find, but pentax is not behind.
01-07-2020, 01:23 PM   #51
Forum Member

I think Pentax could release two mirrorless cameras - one FF and the other APSC. Both with a K-mount but with a smaller focusing distance and an intermediate ring allowing the existing lenses to be restored to full functionality until the development / production or purchase of new glasses. The corps would be smaller than, for example, K-01 ...
It would be an excellent backup device.
It would be an excellent second camera.
01-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrzej Makuch Quote
Both with a K-mount but with a smaller focusing distance
Sorry, but that's is a terrible idea. Think how much confusion that would cause.
If there is mirrorless development (about which I couldn't care less), it must use a different mount if it's at a shorter flange distance.

an intermediate ring allowing the existing lenses to be restored to full functionality
This, on the other hand, is not a terrible idea.
But there's no reason for the mirrorless to be K-mount, just have an adaptor with communicates all info, aperture stopdown, and screwdrive, etc..

01-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #53
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Sorry, but that's is a terrible idea. Think how much confusion that would cause.
If there is mirrorless development (about which I couldn't care less), it must use a different mount if it's at a shorter flange distance.
And why a different fastening right away? K is good. Even without an adapter it would be possible to attach a lens and it would sharpen endlessly ... And with the ring it would work normally.
01-07-2020, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

And why a different fastening right away? K is good. Even without an adapter it would be possible to attach a lens and it would sharpen endlessly ... And with the ring it would work normally.
Think about this.

Clueless guy buys a mirrorless k-mount (with short distance), buys a K-mount SLR lens, and now he can't focus, or maybe only just at infinity.
Other clueless guy buys a K-mount DSLR, buys a cool K-mount mirrorless lens, and now he can only focus very very close, or not at all!

Having two different flange distances for the same mounts is just a recipe for disaster, and makes no sense.
Also the definition of the K-mount is a flange distance of 45.46 millimetres, if you change this, then it's not a K-mount.
01-08-2020, 11:15 AM   #55
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Also the definition of the K-mount is a flange distance of 45.46 millimetres, if you change this, then it's not a K-mount.
It's just a matter of the name of the attachment - you can call it M and all the "disasters" you describe disappear. It is important that you can still close the old lenses. With P / K adapter rings, the lenses would sharpen normally.
01-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Following this thread
01-08-2020, 04:17 PM   #57
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
A new, supersized body would fix the physics. The result would look like a KP but with an EVF instead of a prisma. I could live with that.

Me too
FF the size of KP, no Mirror, no Prisma. no need to change the flange focal distance, therefore, no need for an adapter. They don't even have to do complicate hybrid viewfinder things. KP size body is not big and removing the mirror and Prisma could reduce significant weight (see from K01 vs K30) + less moving part and save some $$$ on the production. Let those love DSLR using K1 line, and those want mirrorless using K0 line and see which one can make more money. I will put my bet on the K0 line. If I am looking for a new Mirrorless system. Look at Pentax K0 body and its lenses price compaire to whatever Sony have to offer + its lens price? I would go for Pentax 100%. It has a very large lens selection and it can be very cheap if I don't mind useing some old manual lenses.

On the point of changing flange focal distance for the sake of smaller than KP body size, I think K mount mirrorless makes the most sense out of what all the other brands are doing because of the compatibility of the K to its decades of the legacy lense. Changing flange focal distance means we need adapter to use with the K mount lenses and Pentax needs to develop new lense lineup for the new mirrorless mount. We can already see how successful Canon and Nikon new mirrorless lens mounts are doing. The big question is; why repeat their mistake or some might say success?

Last edited by tokyoscape; 01-08-2020 at 04:42 PM.
01-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hope Pentax keeps the K mount on a new mirrorless body. I would glady give up a super slim body, that adapts other brand lenses, to be able to use the PK lenses already owned. It must have a high quality evf.

Thanks,
barondla
01-08-2020, 09:05 PM   #59
Pentaxian

I don't think mirrorless cameras are even remotely close to being "fully realized". A big issue is EVFs, no matter what people say, still suck. They're sharp but when dealing with a lot of movement the latency just isn't there, and the refresh rate isn't there either.

The question is can they supply a sharp, extremely high refresh rate and low latency EVF while not killing the batteries quickly? OVFs are essentially free and can be used with no power while having perfect sharpness and latency.
01-08-2020, 09:31 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
FF the size of KP, no Mirror, no Prisma. no need to change the flange focal distance, therefore, no need for an adapter. They don't even have to do complicate hybrid viewfinder things. KP size body is not big and removing the mirror and Prisma could reduce significant weight (see from K01 vs K30) + less moving part and save some $$$ on the production. Let those love DSLR using K1 line, and those want mirrorless using K0 line and see which one can make more money. I will put my bet on the K0 line. If I am looking for a new Mirrorless system. Look at Pentax K0 body and its lenses price compaire to whatever Sony have to offer + its lens price? I would go for Pentax 100%. It has a very large lens selection and it can be very cheap if I don't mind useing some old manual lenses.
Am I the only one who hates strongly dislikes EVFs?