Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2020, 09:42 PM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Am I the only one who hates strongly dislikes EVFs?
No. If you try going from one to the other really quick the OVF is like a godsend.

01-08-2020, 10:02 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
No. If you try going from one to the other really quick the OVF is like a godsend.
Looking at a screen gives me headaches, especially up close like an EVF. (How do I spend so much time here then...?)
An OVF just seems so great - real time view, no battery drain, camera doesn't need to be on, nicer on your eyes, etc..
01-08-2020, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Looking at a screen gives me headaches, especially up close like an EVF. (How do I spend so much time here then...?)
An OVF just seems so great - real time view, no battery drain, camera doesn't need to be on, nicer on your eyes, etc..
Which is why in my opinion a hybrid system would be perfect. There are certainly times I wish I had an evf for critical focusing with manual lenses in bright daylight but most of the time I want to frame and shoot through my OVF.
01-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Which is why in my opinion a hybrid system would be perfect. There are certainly times I wish I had an ovf for critical focusing with manual lenses in bright daylight but most of the time I want to frame and shoot through my OVF.
Makes sense. (I presume the first 'ovf' is meant to be 'evf')

01-08-2020, 10:12 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Makes sense. (I presume the first 'ovf' is meant to be 'evf')
Yah I just corrected it
01-09-2020, 09:49 AM - 2 Likes   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Reading this thread makes my head spin more than any EVF, monitor or digital display. To build a mirrorless camera you’ll need a sensor able to supply focusing data as well as an image: I think all the current sensor manufacturers do these. Put your choice of sensor in a camera body with a recognised or recognisable lens mount, the electronics to run the sensor, a power supply, an electronic viewfinder system and an SD/CFExpress/XQD/whatever storage facility. Develop the software to extract images from your sensor and give the user control over exposure etc. That should take care of the basics; any other bells or whistles are down to the designers and manufacturer, which is why the current offerings vary.

Should Ricoh be reading this thread, they’ll likely conclude it’s impossible to please everyone and do their own thing, whatever that may be - possibly including nothing at all!
01-09-2020, 12:48 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Am I the only one who hates strongly dislikes EVFs?
Could be, but I won't hold it against you.

I like the EVF on my Samsung NX1 just fine. I mostly use it in bright sun. The rear screen is surprisingly useful.

The ability to use a manual focus lens with focus peaking when the camera is held up at eye level makes up for any shortcoming that the EVF may have. I have never really noticed any lag or latency.

My eyes just can't do MF with a 50/1.4 or 85/1.4 through an OVF. A 100/2.8 or 200/4 is just about doable but that's my limit.

And that is why I like mirrorless. It means that I can use MF lenses without fear of missed focus.

01-09-2020, 04:12 PM - 3 Likes   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Canon Done Making EF Lenses Unless Photographers Demand More

Going all in on R mount. It would seem they are abandoning a lens mount for the third time. (Ironically one of the abandoned mounts was called R mount)
01-14-2020, 03:02 AM - 2 Likes   #69
Forum Member

OVF or EVF (whatever that means ) is the smallest problem - it is more important that the AF works properly. As for the viewfinder - it should be optical-electronic just like in Fujifilm X-1 Pro.
01-16-2020, 02:07 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Canon Done Making EF Lenses Unless Photographers Demand More

Going all in on R mount. It would seem they are abandoning a lens mount for the third time.
So they're not making any EF lenses? You won't be able to buy any? Pardon me, but that's a misleading title to that link, or their new 1D Mk.III will have nothing to hang off it but secondhand glass and I don't think so!! Canon aren't that daft.
01-16-2020, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
So they're not making any EF lenses? You won't be able to buy any? Pardon me, but that's a misleading title to that link, or their new 1D Mk.III will have nothing to hang off it but secondhand glass and I don't think so!! Canon aren't that daft.
Yes, the link title is click bait. It's PetaPixel, did you expect any less? Canon isn't making any new EF lens designs.
02-26-2022, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd love to be able to scour out a k-01, add a modern sensor (stacked, pdaf grid) and have a silent camera with e-shutter only. I suppose it could support screw drive as a 3rd option, mf/screw/sdm, or have a specific 'silent mode' disable screwdrive. Sure, make it WR as well.. and while I'm dreaming give it just ASM switch and toss the mode dial. And a new ghost-grey color - the stealth Pentax. Dual-Tilt touchscreen like S1/x-Tx, and a fine evf please.
03-26-2022, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The tilt screens on my "old" Olympus E-M10 and E-PL7 mirrirless bodies were a fine way to shoot. The shooting experience with the screen tilted out 90 degrees is real similar to using a Rolleiflex, with all the modern conveniences, including IS. For landscapes, street, and architecture I think it's a superior position. I'd forgotten how much attention hoisting a big SLR to one's face brings, almost all of it unwanted if not slightly aggressive.

I find myself wondering about a K1 over K3 for this same reason. Despite being a larger device, it's probably still less obvious to shoot from chest or waist level - especially with a nice prime like the 70mm 2.8. Pentax's Live View mode is nearly identical to mirrorless, anyway. The size difference between a Z6/7 and a K1 or K3 isn't enough to sway me. This new Sony A7C is quite attractive, though.

Shooting from the hip with the K-5 makes me grin like a weirdo as I recall doing so often with classic film SLRs, using zone focusing. I'm ready to try more after I learn to wipe that stupid smile off my face.

Pentax should start with the KP and figure out how to shoehorn a FF sensor into it. I'd gladly forgo autofocus tracking wizardry for superior IQ in a stills oriented setup, per Pentax heritage. Today's mediocre AF is still heaps better than anything pre 2015.

Edit: you can see that the Z7 is still a smidge bigger than the KP, even with the OVH hump!
Attached Images

Last edited by IsaacReaves; 03-26-2022 at 06:48 AM.
06-14-2022, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeepSchwartz Quote
The tilt screens on my "old" Olympus E-M10 and E-PL7 mirrirless bodies were a fine way to shoot. The shooting experience with the screen tilted out 90 degrees is real similar to using a Rolleiflex, with all the modern conveniences, including IS. For landscapes, street, and architecture I think it's a superior position. !
I had an MX-1 for a bit. There was a lot I didn't like about it. One thing I did like was the tilt screen. As a short person, I particularly liked being able to hold it above my head, frame and shoot. Same for shooting at waist level. Much different reaction on the street staring down into your lap vs kneeling with a big camera in your face---of course that was before everyone was recording everything on their phones.
06-14-2022, 02:34 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeepSchwartz Quote
Pentax should start with the KP and figure out how to shoehorn a FF sensor into it. I'd gladly forgo autofocus tracking wizardry for superior IQ in a stills oriented setup, per Pentax heritage. Today's mediocre AF is still heaps better than anything pre 2015.

I still wonder what it would take to put a FF sensor in something like the k3III which has the huge prism. I'm assuming part of the problem is heat management, not that these mirrorless cameras handle that well at all.