Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2021, 05:53 PM   #151
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob-48 Quote
1) the battery (compartment?) overheated2) lenses 'stuck' on the camera, due to faulty operation of the lens-release button/mechanism
Wow, that's a first I've heard of for either of those issues. Has anybody else had those problems?

The lens release button couldn't be simpler, it's the same as all the other 50 million K-mount cameras.

Overheating might be possible with a damaged battery.

I suspect your camera had been dropped at some time.

The mode dial issue is common but easy to fix provided you don't lose it.

07-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #152

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
That is a feature, not a bug. In fact, the K-01 was about the only mirrorless camera of its generation to have ample heat sink capacity built in to its bulky aluminium body.
Sounds like a certain Computer Manufacturer:
If we document it, then it is not a fault.
Does not change the fact that the camera became too hot to ho;d.

---------- Post added 07-09-21 at 08:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
Wow, that's a first I've heard of for either of those issues. Has anybody else had those problems?

The lens release button couldn't be simpler, it's the same as all the other 50 million K-mount cameras.

Overheating might be possible with a damaged battery.

I suspect your camera had been dropped at some time.

The mode dial issue is common but easy to fix provided you don't lose it.
Really?
In the early days, when us 'mug' users forked out good $$ for the new, 'future-proof', design, (when 'old' SLR technology was going to fade gracefully into history), such issues were commonly mentioned.
And, simply because it is easy to re-glue the mode dial back onto the body, does NOT excuse pathetic quality control, especially in the early bodies.
07-09-2021, 11:56 PM   #153
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why did the K-01, effectively, disappear?
I have read a lot of references to "politics", timing, etc etc . . . . . . . . . .
BUT,
the K-01 was my FIRST digital camera, after decades of Pentax 35mm Film Cameras, and some Canon 35mm Film,
AND,
1) the battery (compartment?) overheated
2) lenses 'stuck' on the camera, due to faulty operation of the lens-release button/mechanism
3) the mode dial fell off
This was enough for me to sell it, and buy a Canon EOS 600D. (that excellent entry level DSLR has been passed on to my Son-in-Law)
I am now a devoted Pentax Kp owner, and i still have my favourite lenses, kept from my 35mm cameras, as well as DA 18-135, 55-300 PLM, & 1.4x Rear Converter.
If Pentax brought back a "K-02", 24MP, with the obvious mechanical faults fixed, i would also be happy to buy one, as a backup to my Kp.
I don't recognize these problems with mine. I know the mode dial has fallen off for some people. As long as you don't actually lose it, it can be glued back on. It's the first time I've heard of overheating issues or faulty lens release buttons with the K-01.

I'm always surprised here in Japan how well the K-01 keeps its value is on the used market. When it appears, it is not particularly cheap, leading me to believe it quite sought after.

I don't think the K-01 did well internationally. It was probably only ever going to be a one-off. However, I do know that the managers at Pentax/Ricoh got cold feet about it as soon as they saw the design. I don't think it was ever going to do as well as the K-30 when the K-01 just got a brochure and a few print ads and the K-30 got a splashy TV ad campaign.
07-10-2021, 03:09 AM   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like a certain Computer Manufacturer:
If we document it, then it is not a fault.
Does not change the fact that the camera became too hot to ho;d.

---------- Post added 07-09-21 at 08:56 PM ----------

Really?
In the early days, when us 'mug' users forked out good $$ for the new, 'future-proof', design, (when 'old' SLR technology was going to fade gracefully into history), such issues were commonly mentioned.
And, simply because it is easy to re-glue the mode dial back onto the body, does NOT excuse pathetic quality control, especially in the early bodies.
I am still using my K-01 and it seems to be doing OK. As far as good money, I paid about 225 dollars for it at the time, which, while good money, wasn't nearly the price I paid for any of my SLRs.

The negatives of the K-01 have been litigated a lot -- it was expensive at the time of release (but didn't sell at that price either), had a quirky design, was underspecified (poor auto focus, terrible frame rate, horrible buffer), and no viewfinder. As far as it being "future proof" I'm not sure what it offered that the SLRs didn't, as it was basically a K-30 without a viewfinder, forced to operate in live view all of the time. This wasn't a new mount or some new tech that would eventually mean the end of Pentax's SLR camera line up -- unlike Nikon and Canon's new MILC line ups, or Sony basically ditching the A mount before that.

07-11-2021, 12:36 AM   #155
JPT
Pentaxian

The price of the K-01 is very debatable because the camera is so unique. I personally never felt it was overpriced.

- The build and materials were great
- You get the bigger battery from the high-end models
- You also avoid the aperture control issues of the low-end Pentax SSLRs
- You could get it with the DA 40 XS, which is quite a good lens
- The designer’s input, whatever you think of it, was not free.
- The mirrorless competition in 2012 was not so perfect either. 500-shot battery life, built-in flash and IBIS were quite rare, and the EVFs were not that nice to use at the time.

I got mine body only as a split kit for the equivalent of USD 450 just two months after release. Glad I did. I think it would have cost me USD 800 direct from Ricoh, but not many customers buy that way.
07-28-2021, 11:50 PM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If size matters, the K-S1 was the logical DSLR that followed.
In every respect better than the K-01 except looks (matter of taste).

What the K-01 could do, the K30/50/500 did it better.

But:

1) the battery (compartment?) overheated
indeed a feature, many other mirrorless these days have it as well

2) lenses 'stuck' on the camera, due to faulty operation of the lens-release button/mechanism
That's nonsense!
I have a K-01 dissassembled here. The Lens release-button is exactly the same mechanism since ages. It never failed.

It only stuck with Ricohlenses having the critical Ricoh-pin. Which is a know problem but can be solved and it is for sure not the problem of the body but that type of lens.
07-29-2021, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
What the K-01 could do, the K30/50/500 did it better.
As a user of just the one K50, but three K-01s for lots of reasons, I have to disagree with your assessment.

The K-01 is certainly better at focusing funky lenses like the Tamron 17-50 A16. It is certainly better at handling M42 lenses. It is certainly more compact without the pentaprism hump. And it is certainly smoother without the weight of the mirror flipping back and forth (translates to lower shutter speeds for hand-held operation).

07-29-2021, 05:21 AM   #158
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If size matters, the K-S1 was the logical DSLR that followed.
In every respect better than the K-01 except looks (matter of taste).
IMO K-S1 was one the most stylish digital ILC Pentax ever made.
But they should have skipped the LEDs on the grip or designed them to integrate better with the styling of the camera. Instead of looking like they were from a 1980s boombox.
07-29-2021, 10:40 AM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a user of just the one K50, but three K-01s for lots of reasons
Oh... so we have the old game: Quantity vs Quality.
Five against one?

I have to disagree with your assessment.
If you "have to", then it is basically compulsion.

The K-01 is certainly better at focusing funky lenses like the Tamron 17-50 A16.
I wasn't aware this Tamron is funky.
But I know quite well about the difference of AF Phase-Detection vs. Contrast Detection

It is certainly better at handling M42 lenses.
And why would that be so?

It is certainly more compact without the pentaprism hump.
Yes, I would be more compact without my head. A very intelligent argument?

And it is certainly smoother without the weight of the mirror flipping back and forth (translates to lower shutter speeds for hand-held operation).
Well, and without a sensor even smoother.
The most senseless argument I ever read for the K-01.

---------- Post added 07-29-21 at 10:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
IMO K-S1 was one the most stylish digital ILC Pentax ever made.
But they should have skipped the LEDs on the grip or designed them to integrate better with the styling of the camera. Instead of looking like they were from a 1980s boombox.
I like the K-S1 very much.
I liked the K-01 but after 2 years got fed up with the limiations.
I still like the approach PentaxRicoh tried with it and I love minimalistic design.
No problem if we would have a K5IIs with KAF4 but just Av, Tv, Tav, P and M or something similar.
Even if just Av and Tv. ... fine... I could live with that easely.
07-30-2021, 08:06 AM   #160
JPT
Pentaxian

Really? I think this is one of the truly useful things about the K-01. The brick shape is very efficient for packing. With the DA40 or DA21 attached, it can fit in the space of a single zoom lens in a camera shoulder bag. I can definitely pack a more compact kit with the K-01 than my K-5 IIs.
07-30-2021, 08:12 AM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Oh... so we have the old game: Quantity vs Quality.
Five against one?

If you "have to", then it is basically compulsion.

But I know quite well about the difference of AF Phase-Detection vs. Contrast Detection

Well, and without a sensor even smoother.
The most senseless argument I ever read for the K-01.

---------- Post added 07-29-21 at 10:43 AM ----------

I like the K-S1 very much.
I liked the K-01 but after 2 years got fed up with the limiations.
I still like the approach PentaxRicoh tried with it and I love minimalistic design.
No problem if we would have a K5IIs with KAF4 but just Av, Tv, Tav, P and M or something similar.
Even if just Av and Tv. ... fine... I could live with that easely.
No need to be so rude.
07-30-2021, 08:19 AM   #162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Really? I think this is one of the truly useful things about the K-01. The brick shape is very efficient for packing. With the DA40 or DA21 attached, it can fit in the space of a single zoom lens in a camera shoulder bag. I can definitely pack a more compact kit with the K-01 than my K-5 IIs.
and in bright sunlight you can see much better with your K-5iis.
I would much prefer taking one picture where I could carefully frame than a dozen pictures where I randomly pointed the camera in the right direction and hoped I photographed what I wanted.
07-31-2021, 01:19 AM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
No need to be so rude.
I wasn't rude, I was a bit sarcastic, because the arguments are just way off!
One can always bent facts so they seem to fit, but they are not fit.
07-31-2021, 08:25 AM   #164
Pentaxian

In focus, the Tamron is a very sharp lens. But it would not focus reliably with phase-detection AF, especially at the wider end. On the K-01, I can just let the contrast-detection AF do its job, and then shoot. On the K50, I have to open up the live view, focus with the contrast-detection, switch off the AF, close out the live view, and only then get to shoot. Bottom line: the K-01 handles the Tamron better than the K50 does!
Because you can still compose with the lens stopped down. Or, if you have a lens like the Isco 35/2.8, you don't have to worry about the lens fouling the mirror at infinity focus, because there is no mirror!

Now, since we are on Pentax Forums ("a friendly Pentax ... discussion forum"), I am not going to engage with the remainder of your posts.
07-31-2021, 08:38 AM   #165
Pentaxian

In focus, the Tamron is a very sharp lens. But it would not focus reliably with phase-detection AF, especially at the wider end. On the K-01, I can just let the contrast-detection AF do its job, and then shoot. On the K50, I have to open up the live view, focus with the contrast-detection, switch off the AF, close out the live view, and only then get to shoot. Bottom line: the K-01 handles the Tamron better than the K50 does!

Because you can still compose with the lens stopped down. Or, if you have a lens like the Isco 35/2.8, you don't have to worry about the lens fouling the mirror at infinity focus, because there is no mirror!

Now, since we are on Pentax Forums ("a friendly Pentax ... discussion forum"), I am not going to engage with the remainder of your posts.
I don't understand how that is superior. If the lens works superiorly with LV, do the whole thing in LV on the K-50.
The K-30 and K-50 give you the option. With the K-01 you are stuck with LV unless you take time to attach a "Hoodman".