Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2021, 10:16 AM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't understand how that is superior. If the lens works superiorly with LV, do the whole thing in LV on the K-50.
First off, the K50 does a double-flip in live view. You lose the smoothness of the K-01 right there. Then, the K50 is not designed for long-term use of live view. It cannot dissipate the heat that is generated. And if you are only going to be using live view, the weight and bulk of that big hump of glass just become baggage.

07-31-2021, 10:39 AM   #167
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
First off, the K50 does a double-flip in live view. You lose the smoothness of the K-01 right there. Then, the K50 is not designed for long-term use of live view. It cannot dissipate the heat that is generated. And if you are only going to be using live view, the weight and bulk of that big hump of glass just become baggage.
and if you are going to use in brightness - and brightness does enhance photography in some many cases - you need either the K-30/50's viewfinder or to add a "Hoodman".
I refuse to purchase a K-0n unless it comes with a EVF. Period. Punct, "Full stop".
07-31-2021, 12:02 PM   #168
Pentaxian

and if you are going to use in brightness ... you need either the K-30/50's viewfinder or to add a "Hoodman".
Personally, I don't, although you've often reminded us that you do. On the flip side, I've had trouble with eyepieces steaming up this last eighteen months while wearing a mask, and have had to rely on live view in those situations.
I refuse to purchase a K-0n unless it comes with a EVF. Period. Punct "Full stop".
I don't think that's a problem that you're going to need to worry about!
07-31-2021, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #169
Pentaxian

Personally, I don't, although you've often reminded us that you do. On the flip side, I've had trouble with eyepieces steaming up this last eighteen months while wearing a mask, and have had to rely on live view in those situations.
For several years, I held money in reserve in case Pentax released either a "Q" {I thought of it as a "Q-S2"} or a K-01 {I thought of it as a "K-02"} with an EVF. Eventually I gave up on that, and spent the money on a KP.
I am sure even now that I could come up with the funds - and would be near the front of the line - if Pentax would release a Q-S2 or a K-02, but I seldom think about it now.
My experience with my Q-7 has definitely convinced me that a Q-S2 would be a good idea, but I believe Pentax learned the wrong lesson - "MILC is not for us" - from their MILC adventures.

added: I still take the Q-7 when I want something light, but that is the only use I make of it these days .... and I still find it is of no use to me outside unless I bring the "Hoodman" with me.

Last edited by reh321; 07-31-2021 at 12:09 PM.
08-27-2021, 09:50 AM   #170

Mirrorless 645

And I'm waiting for a 100meg, mirrorless successor to the 645Z. Waiting and dreaming…
12-27-2021, 08:44 PM   #171

QuoteOriginally posted by pcrichmond Quote
A few years back I bought a K01 solely for the purpose of converting to FS, primarily for monochrome imaging.
I grew up with black and white film (along with b&w television, homemade movies, etc.) and while adjusting sliders can produce great images, for me it is always similar to printing a color negative on b&w paper, just seems to lack something in the process.
Anyway, I enjoyed it so much I soon purchased a FS converted K1 to accompany my other K1 and the little K01 slowly went from the shelf to the closet.

This weekend I decided to travel light and again grabbed the K01 with a k30/2.8 and an 850 narrowband filter.
Still very impressed at what a basic yet solid performer this little camera is.

I wonder if part of the reason it had such a mixed reception was being a product ahead of its time?
Will always keep this little gem as my poor man’s Leica M.

Ricoh should revisit the K01, wouldn’t need much tweaking to have a great new K02.
I’m pretty much done with my camera & lens buying days, but if they were to do so, I’d probably buy it just to show the appreciation.
Well I wasn't too interested in the k-01 until having the Q. Using the Q showed me some of the advantages. Now I want a K-01, but waited too long. I now have K-3 version so the k-01 is on hold again.
12-28-2021, 11:46 AM   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadayley Quote
Well I wasn't too interested in the k-01 until having the Q. Using the Q showed me some of the advantages. Now I want a K-01, but waited too long. I now have K-3 version so the k-01 is on hold again.
You have to separate advantages of the "Q" from advantages of the K-01.
For example, the "Q" is light and has a whisper-quiet leaf shutter in the lens, while the K-01 is more like the K-30.

12-28-2021, 08:10 PM   #173
Pentaxian

For example, the "Q" is light and has a whisper-quiet leaf shutter in the lens, while the K-01 is more like the K-30.
Sure, like the K-30, but without the weight and bulk of the pentaprism.

And, like the Q, there's no mirror shake. You can hand-hold at lower shutter speeds.
12-28-2021, 08:49 PM   #174
Pentaxian

Sure, like the K-30, but without the weight and bulk of the pentaprism.

And, like the Q, there's no mirror shake. You can hand-hold at lower shutter speeds.
In film days, I hand-held a K-mount at 1/8 second without ‘SR’ ….. I didn’t know the mirror was a problem, so it wasn’t for me.
12-29-2021, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #175
Pentaxian

In film days, I hand-held a K-mount at 1/8 second without ‘SR’ ….. I didn’t know the mirror was a problem, so it wasn’t for me.
We are more critical nowadays with digital.
12-29-2021, 02:11 PM   #176
Pentaxian

We are more critical nowadays with digital.
Momentum from the mirror hasn’t bothered me in any form at any time.
12-31-2021, 09:44 AM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am not so sure about this. Yes, mirror shake is obviously absent. But the way you hold a DSLR, looking through the viewfinder, gives a much more stable support for the camera I guess.
Unless you use something like a Hoodmann loupe on the rear display the support for a mirrorless camera like the K01 seems much less stable to me.
01-03-2022, 08:28 AM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
I am not so sure about this. Yes, mirror shake is obviously absent. But the way you hold a DSLR, looking through the viewfinder, gives a much more stable support for the camera I guess.
Unless you use something like a Hoodmann loupe on the rear display the support for a mirrorless camera like the K01 seems much less stable to me.
I don't know if you have experience of working with mirrorless cameras. I work with both DSLRs and mirrorless. Think about a quarter-second exposure. Looking into the optical viewfinder of an SLR, you lose reference through your leading eye for that time, and can all too easily move the camera slightly without knowing it, either from mirror shake or otherwise. On the other hand, with the mirrorless, you keep the leading-eye contact with the subject all the time.

How you hold the mirrorless is important. Having both elbows cinched in to your waist gives a very stable support, like what you're talking about with the DSLR.
01-03-2022, 09:54 AM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if you have experience of working with mirrorless cameras. I work with both DSLRs and mirrorless. Think about a quarter-second exposure. Looking into the optical viewfinder of an SLR, you lose reference through your leading eye for that time, and can all too easily move the camera slightly without knowing it, either from mirror shake or otherwise. On the other hand, with the mirrorless, you keep the leading-eye contact with the subject all the time.

How you hold the mirrorless is important. Having both elbows cinched in to your waist gives a very stable support, like what you're talking about with the DSLR.
I don't think our opinions differ much, actually.
My comment was related to mirrorless cameras without EVF (like the K01). With an EVF the "less stable support" I had mentioned is no issue. I might add that the only mirrorless camera I have used and which I am using is the Q7. Nearly all the time with a loupe on the rear display ...
01-26-2022, 06:26 AM   #180
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
I don't think our opinions differ much, actually.
My comment was related to mirrorless cameras without EVF (like the K01). With an EVF the "less stable support" I had mentioned is no issue. I might add that the only mirrorless camera I have used and which I am using is the Q7. Nearly all the time with a loupe on the rear display ...
Of course, “no stable support” is not an issue for the Q-7 with a loupe, which is how you usually use it according to the above.
It also would not be a problem with an EVF.
It is as made, however, and the loupe adds volume.