Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Plus the fact that it would be considered a betrayal of sorts if they did release a new mount considering they said they are committed to the future of DSLRs.
The only economically sensible path towards that, while not antagonizing Pentax DSLR lowers, would be to piggy-back on a current mirrorless system, and release a perfectly functional adapter. An open system like Sony's would be the obvious path for that, but it would quite a side-step for Pentax (or any other company for that matter). It would mean that Pentax would keep its DSLR lineup, but trade profits on body sales for profit in adapter sales.

02-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #92
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K 01 could still work
(a) It is a K mount GR so the lens choice is yours
( b ) Advertise it like crazy but focus on one aspect to make it seem like it is better than sliced bread for ex GMH in Australia with RTS radial tuned suspension ( every manufacturer had it but did not advertise it ) ( It was the time when radial tyres replaced cross ply tyres )

Dave
02-20-2021, 02:15 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Plus the fact that it would be considered a betrayal of sorts if they did release a new mount considering they said they are committed to the future of DSLRs. I still say my suggested approach of a hybrid interchangeable viewfinder system is the most reasonable, considering the fact that the expertise is already there. They know how to build, weatherseal, and electrically connect viewfinders from the LX era. They know how to implement OSPDAF from the K-70 and the GR III. They have stated that the SAFOX unit is nearing its technical limitations, so there should be an upcoming design with new PDAF + metering that might allow the removal of the split screen mirror box, therefore retaining the K-01 form factor without losing functionality.
They have already built all parts of a K-02 except the EVF.
It would basically be a KP with a different type of view finder - an EVF which take the signal which now goes to the LCD in ‘LV’.
Simple in concept - but they have already decided that it would’ve sell.
02-21-2021, 03:02 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
They have already built all parts of a K-02 except the EVF.
It would basically be a KP with a different type of view finder - an EVF which take the signal which now goes to the LCD in ‘LV’.
Simple in concept - but they have already decided that it would’ve sell.
Yeah. I absolutely love the KP design. Swappable EVF OVF on a KP would be an instant buy. A K-2 full frame version would be awesome too.

02-22-2021, 12:26 PM   #95
Pentaxian

It will be interesting to see what kind of advance has happened in K-3III AF. From videos that I'v seen from it, seems that LV focusing has taken quite big leap compared to my K-1 in LV mode. I know that K-3 was even worse.

K-01 was from time before k-3? So it can be that now with BSI sensors and that they have updated AF all to gether they will improve that even further especially since they do need it with GR line. AND with new PLM electronically coupled lenses that gap might change even more. So maybe K-01, but with actual OVF hybrid. Full usability of old lenses too, but more performance with PLM.

It could be something that replaces K-P line? and perhaps similar one for FF too while they are at it.
03-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It will be interesting to see what kind of advance has happened in K-3III AF. From videos that I'v seen from it, seems that LV focusing has taken quite big leap compared to my K-1 in LV mode. I know that K-3 was even worse.

K-01 was from time before k-3? So it can be that now with BSI sensors and that they have updated AF all to gether they will improve that even further especially since they do need it with GR line. AND with new PLM electronically coupled lenses that gap might change even more. So maybe K-01, but with actual OVF hybrid. Full usability of old lenses too, but more performance with PLM.

It could be something that replaces K-P line? and perhaps similar one for FF too while they are at it.
Pentax learned "MILC is not for us" from the K-01 - instead of the "MILC needs EVF" learned by other manufacturers - so don't expect a logical follow-up to the K-01.
03-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax learned "MILC is not for us" from the K-01 - instead of the "MILC needs EVF" learned by other manufacturers - so don't expect a logical follow-up to the K-01.
Quoted for truth. I'd also like to add "don't make it look like a baby's toy next time around" to something they should learn. Wasn't there also something about the K-01 running K-30 firmware and it wasn't quite a 100% fit?

03-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #98
Pentaxian

Ricoh had a EVF option for their mirrorless system, but it did not help for them.

With Pentax/Ricoh having abandoned 3 differet mirrorless investments, it is a pretty slim chance of a fourth try.
03-03-2021, 12:12 PM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Ricoh had a EVF option for their mirrorless system, but it did not help for them.

With Pentax/Ricoh having abandoned 3 differet mirrorless investments, it is a pretty slim chance of a fourth try.
I wasn’t aware of any Ricoh effort other than Pentax’s K-01 and “Q” line.
03-03-2021, 12:14 PM   #100
Pentaxian

Ricoh GXR
03-03-2021, 12:33 PM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Ricoh GXR
Isn’t that the funky camera with no viewfinder and which requires that you purchase a sensor with each lens?
Not a good example of how the market would respond to a standard MILC.
03-03-2021, 12:42 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The GXR was modular, there was a Leica mount sensor module, etc. The viewfinder was an add-on. I think it was kind of costly at the time and it's not small. It came out in 2009.
03-03-2021, 12:47 PM   #103
Pentaxian

Isn’t that the funky camera with no viewfinder and which requires that you purchase a sensor with each lens?
Not a good example of how the market would respond to a standard MILC.
Yeah, both Ricoh and Pentax seems to be experts in finding the smallest possible niches in mirrorles segment.
So I think their option for this has ran out.

Now they have to go for the wide road where everyone else is on, but being a small player and 10 years behind the big players it is unlikely Ricoh is willing to invest what it takes to be competitive.
03-03-2021, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #104
Veteran Member

Even if the K-01 had an EVF it would have failed, as no modern mirrorless camera maintains the flange distance of their DSLR predecessors.

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Quoted for truth. I'd also like to add "don't make it look like a baby's toy next time around" to something they should learn. Wasn't there also something about the K-01 running K-30 firmware and it wasn't quite a 100% fit?
The K-01 wasn't designed for the kinds of people that frequent forums like this. It was designed for a younger, fashion forward generation that looked at black DSLRs as devices that their parents used.
03-03-2021, 02:27 PM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It could have been a case of Pentax being a very Japan-centric company. Some of the color combinations seemed right out of the world Hello Kitty.