Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #91
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,976
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Plus the fact that it would be considered a betrayal of sorts if they did release a new mount considering they said they are committed to the future of DSLRs.
The only economically sensible path towards that, while not antagonizing Pentax DSLR lowers, would be to piggy-back on a current mirrorless system, and release a perfectly functional adapter. An open system like Sony's would be the obvious path for that, but it would quite a side-step for Pentax (or any other company for that matter). It would mean that Pentax would keep its DSLR lineup, but trade profits on body sales for profit in adapter sales.

02-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #92
dbs
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Clare Valley S A
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,036
The K 01 could still work
(a) It is a K mount GR so the lens choice is yours
( b ) Advertise it like crazy but focus on one aspect to make it seem like it is better than sliced bread for ex GMH in Australia with RTS radial tuned suspension ( every manufacturer had it but did not advertise it ) ( It was the time when radial tyres replaced cross ply tyres )


Dave
02-20-2021, 02:15 PM   #93
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,814
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Plus the fact that it would be considered a betrayal of sorts if they did release a new mount considering they said they are committed to the future of DSLRs. I still say my suggested approach of a hybrid interchangeable viewfinder system is the most reasonable, considering the fact that the expertise is already there. They know how to build, weatherseal, and electrically connect viewfinders from the LX era. They know how to implement OSPDAF from the K-70 and the GR III. They have stated that the SAFOX unit is nearing its technical limitations, so there should be an upcoming design with new PDAF + metering that might allow the removal of the split screen mirror box, therefore retaining the K-01 form factor without losing functionality.
They have already built all parts of a K-02 except the EVF.
It would basically be a KP with a different type of view finder - an EVF which take the signal which now goes to the LCD in ‘LV’.
Simple in concept - but they have already decided that it would’ve sell.
02-21-2021, 03:02 AM   #94
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Hong Kong
Photos: Albums
Posts: 390
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
They have already built all parts of a K-02 except the EVF.
It would basically be a KP with a different type of view finder - an EVF which take the signal which now goes to the LCD in ‘LV’.
Simple in concept - but they have already decided that it would’ve sell.
Yeah. I absolutely love the KP design. Swappable EVF OVF on a KP would be an instant buy. A K-2 full frame version would be awesome too.

02-22-2021, 12:26 PM   #95
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,309
It will be interesting to see what kind of advance has happened in K-3III AF. From videos that I'v seen from it, seems that LV focusing has taken quite big leap compared to my K-1 in LV mode. I know that K-3 was even worse.

K-01 was from time before k-3? So it can be that now with BSI sensors and that they have updated AF all to gether they will improve that even further especially since they do need it with GR line. AND with new PLM electronically coupled lenses that gap might change even more. So maybe K-01, but with actual OVF hybrid. Full usability of old lenses too, but more performance with PLM.


It could be something that replaces K-P line? and perhaps similar one for FF too while they are at it.
03-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #96
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,814
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It will be interesting to see what kind of advance has happened in K-3III AF. From videos that I'v seen from it, seems that LV focusing has taken quite big leap compared to my K-1 in LV mode. I know that K-3 was even worse.

K-01 was from time before k-3? So it can be that now with BSI sensors and that they have updated AF all to gether they will improve that even further especially since they do need it with GR line. AND with new PLM electronically coupled lenses that gap might change even more. So maybe K-01, but with actual OVF hybrid. Full usability of old lenses too, but more performance with PLM.

It could be something that replaces K-P line? and perhaps similar one for FF too while they are at it.
Pentax learned "MILC is not for us" from the K-01 - instead of the "MILC needs EVF" learned by other manufacturers - so don't expect a logical follow-up to the K-01.
03-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pres589's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Baltimore, MD
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,449
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax learned "MILC is not for us" from the K-01 - instead of the "MILC needs EVF" learned by other manufacturers - so don't expect a logical follow-up to the K-01.
Quoted for truth. I'd also like to add "don't make it look like a baby's toy next time around" to something they should learn. Wasn't there also something about the K-01 running K-30 firmware and it wasn't quite a 100% fit?
03-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #98
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,310
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax learned "MILC is not for us" from the K-01 - instead of the "MILC needs EVF" learned by other manufacturers - so don't expect a logical follow-up to the K-01.
Ricoh had a EVF option for their mirrorless system, but it did not help for them.

With Pentax/Ricoh having abandoned 3 differet mirrorless investments, it is a pretty slim chance of a fourth try.

03-03-2021, 12:12 PM   #99
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,814
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Ricoh had a EVF option for their mirrorless system, but it did not help for them.

With Pentax/Ricoh having abandoned 3 differet mirrorless investments, it is a pretty slim chance of a fourth try.
I wasn’t aware of any Ricoh effort other than Pentax’s K-01 and “Q” line.
03-03-2021, 12:14 PM   #100
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,310
Ricoh GXR
03-03-2021, 12:33 PM   #101
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,814
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Ricoh GXR
Isn’t that the funky camera with no viewfinder and which requires that you purchase a sensor with each lens?
Not a good example of how the market would respond to a standard MILC.
03-03-2021, 12:42 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pres589's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Baltimore, MD
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,449
The GXR was modular, there was a Leica mount sensor module, etc. The viewfinder was an add-on. I think it was kind of costly at the time and it's not small. It came out in 2009.
03-03-2021, 12:47 PM   #103
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,310
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Isn’t that the funky camera with no viewfinder and which requires that you purchase a sensor with each lens?
Not a good example of how the market would respond to a standard MILC.
Yeah, both Ricoh and Pentax seems to be experts in finding the smallest possible niches in mirrorles segment.
So I think their option for this has ran out.

Now they have to go for the wide road where everyone else is on, but being a small player and 10 years behind the big players it is unlikely Ricoh is willing to invest what it takes to be competitive.
03-03-2021, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #104
Veteran Member
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,337
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax learned "MILC is not for us" from the K-01 - instead of the "MILC needs EVF" learned by other manufacturers - so don't expect a logical follow-up to the K-01.
Even if the K-01 had an EVF it would have failed, as no modern mirrorless camera maintains the flange distance of their DSLR predecessors.

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Quoted for truth. I'd also like to add "don't make it look like a baby's toy next time around" to something they should learn. Wasn't there also something about the K-01 running K-30 firmware and it wasn't quite a 100% fit?
The K-01 wasn't designed for the kinds of people that frequent forums like this. It was designed for a younger, fashion forward generation that looked at black DSLRs as devices that their parents used.
03-03-2021, 02:27 PM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pres589's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Baltimore, MD
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,449
It could have been a case of Pentax being a very Japan-centric company. Some of the color combinations seemed right out of the world Hello Kitty.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, appreciation, attachment, camera, canon, da, da limiteds, design, digital camera, evf, exposure, focus, fs, k-01, k-02, k01, k1, leica, mirrorless, modes, ovf, pentax, ricoh, sensor, sony, xs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black & White Netley Abbey revisit karma mechanic Post Your Photos! 6 08-01-2018 04:56 AM
New glass - old glass. Which lenses should Pentax revisit? HopelessTogger Pentax Full Frame 204 09-07-2017 05:12 AM
Nature Revisit gjtoth Photo Critique 5 02-19-2013 10:16 PM
Abstract why you should revisit old photos Wired Post Your Photos! 2 01-20-2013 12:32 AM
Snowdonia reflections - sunrise revisit simonkit Post Your Photos! 6 10-20-2007 12:45 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top