Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2020, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pcrichmond Quote
A few years back I bought a K01 solely for the purpose of converting to FS, primarily for monochrome imaging.
I grew up with black and white film (along with b&w television, homemade movies, etc.) and while adjusting sliders can produce great images, for me it is always similar to printing a color negative on b&w paper, just seems to lack something in the process.
Anyway, I enjoyed it so much I soon purchased a FS converted K1 to accompany my other K1 and the little K01 slowly went from the shelf to the closet.

This weekend I decided to travel light and again grabbed the K01 with a k30/2.8 and an 850 narrowband filter.
Still very impressed at what a basic yet solid performer this little camera is.

I wonder if part of the reason it had such a mixed reception was being a product ahead of its time?
Will always keep this little gem as my poor man’s Leica M.

Ricoh should revisit the K01, wouldn’t need much tweaking to have a great new K02.
I’m pretty much done with my camera & lens buying days, but if they were to do so, I’d probably buy it just to show the appreciation.
If Ricoh would ever release a K-02, they should make a lot of changes to the design of the K-01. First of all they should make the body thinner. K-mount lenses should then be equipped with an adapter, but that should not be problematic. Then they should equip it with an image sensor that has more megapixels, maybe even a full-size like in the K-1. Next they should improve the AF. Under low light conditions, my K-01 keeps hunting, even with high speed prime lenses. Last, but not least I would like to have an electronic viewfinder. Anyway, the K-02 will be too expensive and there is no real market for such a camera, I think. Still, I keep dreaming about such a camera. I use mine more often than my K-1.

I sold my blue&white K-01 because I was annoyed by the AF and the display, which is illegible in high light. Since then I use my KP, which is a blast compared to the K-01. For the HQ images I bought a second hand K-1 II. End of story.

Last edited by Argos; 11-02-2020 at 12:42 PM.
07-30-2020, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

I've got a soft spot for unloved cameras like the K-01. It always produced publication-worthy images for me with its lovely sensor. And I think its unique look was stood the test of time. Perhaps a K-02 can be Pentax's video-centric camera, with top APS-C video specs, or maybe even FF!

Pentax K-01, as taken by it's bigger brother.
by John Flores, on Flickr
08-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Argos Quote
If Ricoh would ever release a K-02, they should make a lot of changes to the design of the K-01. First of all they should make the body thinner. K-mount lenses should then be equipped with an adapter, but that should not be problematic. Then the should equip it with an image sensor that has more megapixels, maybe even a full-size like in the K-1. Next they should improve the AF. Under low light conditions, my K-01 keeps hunting, even with high speed prime lenses. Last, but not least I would like to have an electronic viewfinder. Anyway, the K-02 will be too expensive and there is no real market for such a camera, I think. Still, I keep dreaming about such a camera. I use mine more often than my K-1.
They might make a “FF” K02, but if they are still unwilling to equip it with an EVF, as the GRRR shows, it would be a waste of time. From the point-of-view of use of corporate resources, I cannot imagine their developing yet another lens system, so it would have to share lenses with the K1.
08-11-2020, 05:48 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
They might make a “FF” K02, but if they are still unwilling to equip it with an EVF, as the GRRR shows, it would be a waste of time. From the point-of-view of use of corporate resources, I cannot imagine their developing yet another lens system, so it would have to share lenses with the K1.
Not sure why they couldn't put an EVF in a K-02 and a K-mount is exactly what I'd want on it. Couldn't doesn't mean wouldn't, and vice versa, but if they did...

08-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Not sure why they couldn't put an EVF in a K-02 and a K-mount is exactly what I'd want on it. Couldn't doesn't mean wouldn't, and vice versa, but if they did...
They originally said the current EVF's 'weren't good enough', but not putting one on the GR-3 has eliminated any hope I had that they would ever be satisfied with one, and so I have given up any hope of a "K-02".
08-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A custom turret-style OVF attachment corresponding to the DA Limiteds would be very cool.
08-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
A custom turret-style OVF attachment corresponding to the DA Limiteds would be very cool.
But how many would it sell?

As a regular user of the DA 18-135 lens, I doubt if that would impress me very much, for example,
although I might consider it if it were a "FF" camera and I had to rethink my lenses.

08-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They originally said the current EVF's 'weren't good enough', but not putting one on the GR-3 has eliminated any hope I had that they would ever be satisfied with one, and so I have given up any hope of a "K-02".
GR3 != K-02. Not many people in the world could really say what could happen with what seems very much to be a dream camera anyway.

It would be an interesting way to both spend a lot of money and put their toe in MILC waters to see if what sticks.
08-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But how many would it sell?

As a regular user of the DA 18-135 lens, I doubt if that would impress me very much, for example,
although I might consider it if it were a "FF" camera and I had to rethink my lenses.
I wonder how many Ricoh GRx users buy the external OVF for that camera.

The K-01 was really made to be used with the DA Ltds, so if the hypothetical K-02 followed suit I think there would be a segment of owners who would enjoy the shooting experience of turning off the rear LCD and using the turret OVF.
08-12-2020, 03:43 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax introduced the DA 40 XS with the K-01 which is a clear alternative to the DA 40 Limited. I don't think you could really suggest that the K-01 was made to be used with the Ltd's unless you want to ignore the 40 XS entirely. I think the K-01 was another chance that Pentax took to be a little different and to try and get a different camera body out without doing 100% of the effort required to get there (a lot of borrowed K-30 bits to make a MILC).

It would be interesting to see the logic behind creating the K-01 from internal documentation that are clear of marketing speak entirely; who they thought would buy the camera, why they would consider the K-01 over other alternatives, etc.
08-12-2020, 07:17 AM   #41
Pentaxian

GR3 != K-02. Not many people in the world could really say what could happen with what seems very much to be a dream camera anyway.

It would be an interesting way to both spend a lot of money and put their toe in MILC waters to see if what sticks.
Of course they are different, but the GR-3 shows that Ricoh has never accepted EVF technology.
If they wouldn't accept it for that camera, what makes us think they would accept it for any camera?
08-12-2020, 07:32 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax introduced the DA 40 XS with the K-01 which is a clear alternative to the DA 40 Limited. I don't think you could really suggest that the K-01 was made to be used with the Ltd's unless you want to ignore the 40 XS entirely. I think the K-01 was another chance that Pentax took to be a little different and to try and get a different camera body out without doing 100% of the effort required to get there (a lot of borrowed K-30 bits to make a MILC).
I bought the K-01 + 40XS kit, new. The 40XS is based on the DA 40 Ltd, and the 40 Ltd works as well on the K-01 as the XS does... one could argue the 40 Ltd actually is better suited for the K-01, because when the K-01's AF bogs down in low-light situations, you can use the Quick-Shift feature of the 40 Ltd to adjust focus, whereas the 40XS does not include QS. Of all the lenses I've used on the K-01, the DA Ltds, with the exception of the 35 Macro, work the best. Lenses that are small, light, f/2.8 or faster, and have short focus throws are the best for the K-01.

I owned a K-30, too.
08-12-2020, 07:38 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course they are different, but the GR-3 shows that Ricoh has never accepted EVF technology.
If they wouldn't accept it for that camera, what makes us think they would accept it for any camera?
The GR series are meant to be pants-pocketable - even shirt-pocketable - and an EVF would most likely preclude that, as well as increasing cost.

For folks who want a VF for their GRx camera, Ricoh offers the GV-1 and GV-2 optical viewfinders. which attach to the hot shoe.

IOW, while I agree with you that Ricoh is not accepting "EVF technology", the GR series is not proof of that, because an EVF does not fit in the design goals of the GRx.
08-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I bought the K-01 + 40XS kit, new. The 40XS is based on the DA 40 Ltd, and the 40 Ltd works as well on the K-01 as the XS does... one could argue the 40 Ltd actually is better suited for the K-01, because when the K-01's AF bogs down in low-light situations, you can use the Quick-Shift feature of the 40 Ltd to adjust focus, whereas the 40XS does not include QS. Of all the lenses I've used on the K-01, the DA Ltds, with the exception of the 35 Macro, work the best. Lenses that are small, light, f/2.8 or faster, and have short focus throws are the best for the K-01.

I owned a K-30, too.
When I came back to Pentax, I purchased a K-30 solely because the K-01 did not have a viewfinder.
I still feel that way, even though my K-30 has developed what I call Dark Image Syndrome.
08-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #45

Yes, if the K-new is going to have a great new optical viewfinder, maybe Pentax could use this know-how in making a great OVF attachment like you say.

---------- Post added 08-12-20 at 11:08 PM ----------

It would be interesting to see the logic behind creating the K-01 from internal documentation that are clear of marketing speak entirely; who they thought would buy the camera, why they would consider the K-01 over other alternatives, etc.
I would be interested in this information as well. I'm curious about why they went outside the company to have Marc Newsom design it. But I say this as someone who loves the design and has bought two K-01s.