Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
Marketplace Reseller

K-01 AutoFocus Issues

Hello,

I feel silly about this question but I'm really struggling with the K-01 Auto Focus: Yesterday, I was taking a picture of a friend with the K-01 body and the D FA 85mm F1.4 Lens. I had the focus set to face detection. When I hit the shutter, it would go out of focus and I ended up with a blurry abstract collage of color. There's been other times when I had the subject's face focused, tried locking it in, but it changed to his/her leg or something. Thoughts?

~Eric

09-21-2020, 06:14 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eoschneeman Quote
I had the focus set to face detection. When I hit the shutter, it would go out of focus and I ended up with a blurry abstract collage of color
Hi Eoschneeman,

Hope we can help. You left out a lot between your first and second sentences. Please describe the process!

Cheers,
Ian
09-21-2020, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

The DFA 85 1.4 is a new lens. I suspect the K-01 being a much older body won't be fully compatible. Even if you can get the lens to focus manually, presumably it won't stop down as I believe the K-01 does not support electronic aperture control (KAF4).
09-21-2020, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Suzhouren Quote
The DFA 85 1.4 is a new lens. I suspect the K-01 being a much older body won't be fully compatible. Even if you can get the lens to focus manually, presumably it won't stop down as I believe the K-01 does not support electronic aperture control (KAF4).
That's correct, the K-50 is the oldest camera that can use this lens properly, and shooting at F1.4 you've got a very thin plane that is in focus.

09-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As noted above... Pentax K-01 and HD Pentax-D FA* 85mm F1.4 SDM AW - Compatibility | PentaxForums.com
09-22-2020, 04:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I don't agree with the apparent consensus here that aperture being wide open explains why face AF is not working. That's just kicking the ball into the long grass.

Eric, you should probably try back button focus. That way, your focus should not slip off the next time you press the shutter button.
09-22-2020, 06:12 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
I don't agree with the apparent consensus here that aperture being wide open explains why face AF is not working. That's just kicking the ball into the long grass.

Eric, you should probably try back button focus. That way, your focus should not slip off the next time you press the shutter button.

I'm not sure if it is relevant but using live view I've found most lenses partially stop down (on my k3), but I'm unclear if they remain so during focusing. It isn't clear if this is due to brightness of the scene or some other factor.

If the lens normally stops down some during focusing, it might be more difficult to focus without aperture control given the very shallow depth of field of that lens wide open.

09-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #8
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. I did have the aperture wide open when it stop down. Maybe I'll try some test shots with a narrower aperture.
09-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eoschneeman Quote
Thanks for the responses. I did have the aperture wide open when it stop down. Maybe I'll try some test shots with a narrower aperture.
You can't stop it down, Esoschneeman, the K-01 cannot control the DFA*50's aperture, it's too old.
09-27-2020, 11:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is as others say:

The HD DFA85/1,4 is a KAF4 lens!

The K-01 cannot drive KAF4 lenses except wide open.

The K30 with special firmware and then the K50 are the only earlier DSLR which can drive it.

The DFA85 anyway would be kind if misusing an amazing lens if used this way.