Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35453 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #1771
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nice results from the Arista.EDU Ultra 100. What was your developer?

Steve
Thanks Steve. It was just developed with Kodak Tmax developer. I like it 'cos I just mix up what I want each time Actually developed this roll with a roll of Tri-X at the same time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Makten Quote
That's a bit sharper than what I get most of the time at 2400 (which is the resolution I scan at). The main problem for me is getting the damn film flat. B&W films are usually OK, but the color negs tend to curl more. Especially Ektar. But since I don't do prints (at all, yes I'm crazy), the V700 is more than I'll ever need.

Edit: I think you could improve your downsizing though. I sharpen and resample the images in 2-3 steps, which gives much crisper results at 1024 pixels width.
Yep, film curl is a pain for me too. This film was left under some books for only a day or two and flattening it actually worked! So I managed to get it very flat in the holder for once. Must of been the fire extinguisher I was using to weigh down the books

And thanks for the note about sharpening. Yes, normally I am just 'lazy' and do it in one go exporting from Lightroom. Will have to try what you suggest.

cheers

05-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #1772
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Thanks Tuco- A lot of time and effort went into that one, not to mention the frames that didn't turn out.
It's a nice shot, I bet it would have been difficult to get right!
05-15-2011, 02:03 AM   #1773
Site Supporter

A couple of shots from my first roll using a Jobo C-41 kit

Both using Pentax 67, 105/2.4, Cokin 121S 0.9 ND Grad + 154 0.9 ND, Ektar 100
05-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #1774
Pentaxian

4x5 Wet Scan Test On Epson 4990

I purchased a variable height mounting station for my 4x5's from BetterScanning.com. It does both dry and wet scans. I was mostly interested in its ability to adjust its height and scan the long direction of the negative instead of the short that the OEM carrier does. So I thought I'd give wet scanning a try with it.

Things didn't start off well. The glass plate for the mounting station did not fit. Some of the glass edges were not cut square making it too wide. Fortunately, I have a oscillating drum sander that I was able to square up the edges and make it fit. And the masks they send are blanks and you have to make the 4x5 cutout in the center yourself. Mounting the wet scan was pretty easy as there is so much space to work with.

Here is a shot I have already scanned some time ago with the OEM carrier and the wet scan version. I tried to adjust it the same as the first time I did it. As far as saving time with dust, that really is not much of issue for me with 4x5's on this scanner and the OEM carrier. There is usually not much dust to clean up on them. Most certainly a piece of cake compared to the 9000ED and its glass carrier. And the wet scan was not 100% free of touch up either. So it's a push in that department, I'd say.

Both scans are 2400dpi. I really don't see much of a difference on a web display version. A little more definition looking at the river rocks and trees up stream. But that's hard to say if that's just not tone adjustment. And on the full size files, there was more detail in those dark trees. So for most web display, I don't think I'd bother with the wet scan and save it for maybe when doing a print from a scan instead.

Wet Scan With BetterScanning's Variable Height Mounting Station

Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm f8, f64, Tri-X Pan, PMK Pyro

Dry Scan With Epson's OEM Carrier

Last edited by tuco; 05-15-2011 at 03:07 AM.
05-15-2011, 04:35 AM   #1775

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Are you using stainless steel (aka CRES - corrosion resistant steel) reel and tank? Cutting an approx 45° chamfer on the film edges that clips onto the reel helps getting it started on that system.
Yes I am, I'll have to try that.
05-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #1776
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Tuco for the feedback, you might have saved a few of us $119 plus shipping. It is a pity that the product was not well finished. One of the aspect of a third party carrier is that it should be stronger easier, better fit and more robust than the OEM. I certainly like the 120 Betterscanning carrier for my Epson 700. It feels great EXCEPT the little screws to adjust the height. The glass not at the exact size to fit, is a big disappointment.
I guess that if you did not see much improvement with the carrier wet mounted, there is no point to compare dry mounted as well (i.e. Betterscanning dry mounted and height adjusted versus OEM) I have been assuming that with the negative taped to the glass as described in their manual film flatness might improve the scan compare to potential flex in the OEM carrier.

Cheers,

Luc

I purchased a variable height mounting station for my 4x5's from BetterScanning.com. It does both dry and wet scans. I was mostly interested in its ability to adjust its height and scan the long direction of the negative instead of the short that the OEM carrier does. So I thought I'd give wet scanning a try with it.

Things didn't start off well. The glass plate for the mounting station did not fit. Some of the glass edges were not cut square making it too wide. Fortunately, I have a oscillating drum sander that I was able to square up the edges and make it fit. And the masks they send are blanks and you have to make the 4x5 cutout in the center yourself. Mounting the wet scan was pretty easy as there is so much space to work with.

Here is a shot I have already scanned some time ago with the OEM carrier and the wet scan version. I tried to adjust it the same as the first time I did it. As far as saving time with dust, that really is not much of issue for me with 4x5's on this scanner and the OEM carrier. There is usually not much dust to clean up on them. Most certainly a piece of cake compared to the 9000ED and its glass carrier. And the wet scan was not 100% free of touch up either. So it's a push in that department, I'd say.

Both scans are 2400dpi. I really don't see much of a difference on a web display version. A little more definition looking at the river rocks and trees up stream. But that's hard to say if that's just not tone adjustment. And on the full size files, there was more detail in those dark trees. So for most web display, I don't think I'd bother with the wet scan and save it for maybe when doing a print from a scan instead.

Wet Scan With BetterScanning's Variable Height Mounting Station

Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm f8, f64, Tri-X Pan, PMK Pyro

Dry Scan With Epson's OEM Carrier

05-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #1777
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kkado Quote
A couple of shots from my first roll using a Jobo C-41 kit

Both using Pentax 67, 105/2.4, Cokin 121S 0.9 ND Grad + 154 0.9 ND, Ektar 100
Nice work, but what's with the magenta-ish cast in the highlights? Eg. in the sky on the second one?

I purchased a variable height mounting station for my 4x5's from BetterScanning.com.
...<snip>
I think Luc is right, when you go to that much effort I guess you hope for a pretty noticeable difference. Still could be useful for a large digital print though.
This is nothing special really, but I'm starting to get to the B&W photos from my recent trip. Have another couple of rolls drying in the bathroom right now.

Lake Brunner Houses, New Zealand
Pentax 67, 105/2.4, Tri-X @400

Back at home, I recently met a friendly group of local film shooters and we went on an outing to a dam. Also tried out some Arista EDU ultra 100 film that I forgot I had. Seems like a really nice film. The camera on the tripod is a big 6x8 MF Mamiya. I think it was an RB67. A lovely beast of a thing. Oh and the guy on the left is just about to get a Chamonix, like some of you have!

Film Photographers of Perth meet - Mundaring Weir
Pentax 67, 105/2.4, Arista EDU ultra 100 developed in Tmax EI100

05-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #1778
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm finally getting samples out from the Autocord... HP5+ in D-76 1:1 per Ilford instructions.

It was a pretty dark day so the aperture was either 5.6 or between 5.6 and 8...
1400pix square down from ~2600pix square scan at 1200DPI

"100% crop" from the 1200DPI, lightened a little from the above
05-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #1779
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Nice work, but what's with the magenta-ish cast in the highlights? Eg. in the sky on the second one?
He was using a colored graduated filter.

Steve
05-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #1780
Pentaxian

Steve
As far as I can tell, the Cokin 121S 0.9 ND Grad is advertised as a grad Neutral Density that is soft as opposed to a colored grad often advertised. If it's a colored grad, I'd be unhappy with that advertisement.

Last edited by tuco; 05-15-2011 at 12:45 PM.
05-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #1781
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I'm finally getting samples out from the Autocord... HP5+ in D-76 1:1 per Ilford instructions.
I really like the subtile nuances of the deep tones.
05-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #1782
Site Supporter

As far as I can tell, the Cokin 121S 0.9 ND Grad is advertised as a grad Neutral Density that is soft as opposed to a colored grad often advertised. If it's a colored grad, I'd be unhappy with that advertisement.
They are advertised as "neutral density" but if you stack enough of them, they end up giving a heavy magenta cast. It's possible to correct this in post, but it's so diffuse that it's a pain in the neck so I opted not to. I think I will switch to Hitech filters in the future.

Last edited by kkado; 05-15-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Misspelled magenta
05-16-2011, 02:12 AM   #1783
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a V700 too

Here's a quick and dirty 2400dpi full size scan from the V700. It could improved in some areas but there's still a lot of detail. Click through to the "original" size for the 2400dpi version.
Check out the lower part of the roof and the top of the arch. Film is Arista EDU ultra 100.
Nice shots, well scanned

I am very happy with the MF holder, the glass sits well. The only problem is that the Epson software (V500) doesn't recognize the four shots, I have to manually select the shots...

Lake Brunner Houses, New Zealand
Pentax 67, 105/2.4, Tri-X @400
Really nice shot, the greys are fantastic !

Nice details on this tank ! I love the dark tones !
05-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #1784
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Nice shots, well scanned

I am very happy with the MF holder, the glass sits well. The only problem is that the Epson software (V500) doesn't recognize the four shots, I have to manually select the shots...

Really nice shot, the greys are fantastic !

Nice details on this tank ! I love the dark tones !
Thanks Frederic. I like the greys too, just the compositions are a bit bland :P There wasn't much around to shoot.

But here is something I find infinitely more interesting...

Sopwith Camel
Pentax 67, 55/4, Ektar 100

05-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #1785
Veteran Member

Lovely dark tones in this one Jussi!