Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
This shot is in perfect focus, to my eyes.... let me explain...

The wall is demonstrating critical sharpness just behind and to the right of your subject. In fact, the wall is sharp through most of the frame, except the far left and right edges. I think that the AF caught on the wall, rather than your subject. This isn't front focus or back focus.

Most of the time, walls are 'flat' and don't trick the AF. However, the camera isn't doing face recognition or psychically predicting what you want to focus on. It's just saying, "FOCUSED!" on the first thing that it finds to be 'in-focus' across it's 5 or 11 AF points. In this case, it detected that the wall was in-focus and allowed the shutter to release. The highly reflective, shiny wall probably made this even more likely to happen in this case, since the brightest light hitting the AF sensor was coming from the wall, not your subject, making it the first thing to trigger the 'in-focus' designation from the sensor.

I personally can't shoot with 'auto-AF point'. I shoot my K-5 in SEL mode where you pick the AF point to use. It takes longer to aim the shot, but what you pick is always in focus.

I think there have been many good suggestions above, without changing any settings on the camera, I'll recommend this:
Try centering your subject in the frame, then half-press the shutter button, and hold it. Then re-frame your shot as you like. Press completely to take your shot.

I personally don't like to focus and re-compose, but without being able to choose your AF point, that's the best you can do to avoid what happened in your example, other than increasing your DOF by using a smaller aperture as recommended by others.

05-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
The focus is clearly behind the intended area. Excluding any operator errors, i would check the AF Fine Adjustment ( Custom menu page 3 item #21). The first thing i did was adjust all 13 AF lenses to the K-r and kept written notes of the settings. The settings ranged between -8 & +5 and not one was set to 0. Cheers Dré
05-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks to be BF to me as the boys shirt (on the lower part) seems to be more focused.
05-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used the above technique to identify if my K-r had FF or BF problem. Seems like my camera is clean. Fingers crossed
Focus was at the intersection of white and black part.
With Auto white balance

With Tungsten White balance

05-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #20

Original Poster
well i got today the k-5 and i am looking to sell the k-r
05-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swapnil Quote
I used the above technique to identify if my K-r had FF or BF problem. Seems like my camera is clean. Fingers crossed
Focus was at the intersection of white and black part.
With Auto white balance

With Tungsten White balance
Interesting to see the colour cast with AWB. AWB is only in the range 4000 K to 8000 K although there's a "subtle correction" with AWB with Tungsten light. The Tungsten setting is around 2850 K.
05-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #22
LIJ
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Interesting to see the colour cast with AWB. AWB is only in the range 4000 K to 8000 K although there's a "subtle correction" with AWB with Tungsten light. The Tungsten setting is around 2850 K.
Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have my K-r nearby), but isn't there an option in the menus somewhere where you can choose how much the AWB should compensate in tungsten lightning?

05-18-2011, 01:21 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LIJ Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have my K-r nearby), but isn't there an option in the menus somewhere where you can choose how much the AWB should compensate in tungsten lightning?
I won't have mine until tomorrow or the next day but I have the manual - lol
It shows that option but doesn't reference a page for saying what the options are - just says what the default setting is.