Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
RAw 14 bits for the K30, as seen on Pentax France website :
PENTAX K-30 - Reflex numériques - PENTAX Photo
Whoah whoah whoah.. and how many AA filters??

05-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #62
Veteran Member

There is something wrong with the specs on pentax France, for video, they speak about "Mjpeg" format, it should be H264.
So maybe, it's not 14 bits raw, it looks like they have copy/paste the specs of the K5 for that part.

Last edited by Couscousdelight; 05-21-2012 at 04:29 PM.
05-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #63
Veteran Member

The specs look good. AF for video in particular, and the AF improvements. Glad to see it does full HD for video, and shoots 6fps.

Compared to the K200D, the top LCD is missing, as has been pointed out before.
It is not clear if there is a cable release input. I am sorely missing it on my K-r.
I don't see any mention of an optional vertical battery grip also, which is something the K200D had.
Since Pentax appears to be paying particular attention to video on this body, I am a bit surprised that they didn't add an articulating LCD. This is really an invaluable feature.

Overall, it seems like a nice K200D upgrade. And possibly K-5 upgrade as well.

It does need to be pointed out that the K200D body MSRP was only $620 when it came out and $699 with kit lens. Retail prices were pretty close to MSRP.
Four years later, the K30, at $849, costs significantly more, 36.9% more to be precise.

The trend in camera prices is not up. I would have hoped for an MSRP closer to that of the K200D.
05-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #64
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I look forward to the flagship successor having all these fine features, including movie AF, as well as a revamped AF and sensor. Things are looking good for Ricoh-Pentax.

05-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Looks like there is an AC adapter door, like the K200D .

Great, because I really hate the approach taken on the K-R where you need a DC coupler, and the K-AC109 kit costs $70.

Further, the specs for the French kit mention that the AC cord is included. That is excellent.

They also mention that there is a bottom body cover . bouchon (dessous de boitier). This is probably a sign that there is an optional battery grip option.

Looks like they have changed all the button arrangements again. Flash button on the left side seems like a really silly idea. That's a button I like to use .

I checked all the other pics on Pentax France, but didn't find any with the side doors open. So I still don't know if there is a cable release connector on that. I am not sure if that small door on the left sideis big enough for USB + cable release connector ...
05-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
There were two things that really convinced me to buy a Pentax: 1) Price and 2) ISO capability. Everything else seemed pretty identical to the Canon T3i.
I guess you don't care about the articulated LCD. It is painful to shoot video without one. It might be difficult to make a camera weatherproof with one, though. Come to think of it, only the Rebel t3i has articulated LCD, but the more expensive 7D/5D don't.
The 60D does, but it's not weather sealed.

This is something Pentax has yet to add to any of its bodies. Perhaps someone needs to figure this out and make a body with both features. Until then I guess I will keep 2 bodies. My other body is a Canon T3i.
05-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I guess you don't care about the articulated LCD. It is painful to shoot video without one. It might be difficult to make a camera weatherproof with one, though. Come to think of it, only the Rebel t3i has articulated LCD, but the more expensive 7D/5D don't.

This is something Pentax has yet to add to any of its bodies. Perhaps someone needs to figure this out and make a body with both features. Until then I guess I will keep 2 bodies. My other body is a Canon T3i.
Olympus has a weather sealed camera with articulated screen, the E-5. The weather sealed EM-5 has a tilt screen as well.
05-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
The K30 being bundled with non-WR kits is just the latest example of that, if (when) some uniformed customer gets sold one by an uniformed salesperson and breaks it in the rain because that's how it was marketed to them.
And yet, Pentax has been selling WR cameras for many years (decades, even) and never once has this been a problem.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 05-22-2012 at 07:15 AM.
05-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I note that the K-30 shares the same AA Battery Holder D-BH109 as the Kr, as well as the same rechargeable D-LI109 Lithium-ion battery. Probably also the same optional AC adapter K-AC109E.

These power resemblances with the K-r may not bode well for a battery grip option on the K-30.
05-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #70
Site Supporter

At the time of purchase, I really didn't care about an articulated screen. However, as I began to venture off into other things with my camera (when I tried video on it) I did wish it had one. When I bought my Kr, I wanted a camera that took great pictures. I wasn't looking for something to shoot video with.

I do hope that Pentax will eventually add an articulated screen but I knew what I was buying when I bought the Kr. No complaints about the lack of articulated screen. It is on my hope/wishlist for future cameras, but I won't knock it for not having it. I feel like that would be the equivalent of complaining about the fact that my car only seats 5 people when I could have bought one that sat more.
05-21-2012, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #71
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
Bottom line for me is - I really like your story of how you came to buy a camera that is better suited to your needs. It shows how ignorance can be overcome with time and effort. In fact, your journey of learning how different features became more important to you over time is quite revealing! Pentax should study your posting and understand what it would take to overcome your initial ignorance of important feature sets as you progress as a photographer. One could take the transition points that you made during your journey to create a learning module packaged with each new offering from the company and post it in stores, YouTube, Facebook, where ever - all up front at initial purchase.
Journey is pretty simple.

Day 1 - I have no idea what I'm doing.
Day 2 - What's this? Did I break it?
Day 3 - Oh, that's pretty.
Day 4 - Did I break it?
Day 20 - That's pretty cool. How come no one ever told me about this?
Day 21 - Oh, I guess people did tell me about it. I just didn't know what it was.
Day 22 - Cool. A new lens.
Day 23 - Awesome. Another lens.
Day 46 - I need to stop buying lenses.
Day 47 - My car was repossessed. Now I can spend that money on new lenses.
Day 168 - Being homeless isn't that bad. If I could only figure out where to charge my batteries.
Day 188 - Wife felt sorry for me. She's taking me back in.
Day 189 - Did I break it?
Day 190 - Cool. Another lens.

Rinse. Repeat.
05-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #72
Veteran Member

The rear E-dial looks like its in the wrong spot
05-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #73
Veteran Member

So I still don't know if there is a cable release connector on that. I am not sure if that small door on the left sideis big enough for USB + cable release connector ...
I think the cable release connector is the one on the right, the left-hand grip will have the USB port. Speaking of connectors... Is there a bottom-view photo of the K-30?
05-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #74
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
Bottom line for me is - I really like your story of how you came to buy a camera that is better suited to your needs. It shows how ignorance can be overcome with time and effort. In fact, your journey of learning how different features became more important to you over time is quite revealing! Pentax should study your posting and understand what it would take to overcome your initial ignorance of important feature sets as you progress as a photographer. One could take the transition points that you made during your journey to create a learning module packaged with each new offering from the company and post it in stores, YouTube, Facebook, where ever - all up front at initial purchase.
In all seriousness. I think it would be a great idea for Pentax to have a video series like this. Something to really explain why people should pick Pentax.

It's easy for people to forget what it's like to be truly clueless about what you're doing. There are so many great things about Pentax cameras that really make them appealing to beginners. Things like WR, lens compatibility, image stabilization (in camera) are great when you know what they are. When you don't, you could care less.

Pentax should really take a "We're not going to tell you why these things are great, we're going to show you why they're great." Words mean nothing to the layman. Results matter. Something as simple as a Youtube campaign would work wonders. I'm sure there's enough talent on this message board to do some really spectacular things.
05-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Pentax should really take a "We're not going to tell you why these things are great, we're going to show you why they're great." Words mean nothing to the layman.
But the salesman is successful with them. XD You're right with the push for marketing - that is indeed a real contributor to sales. Most people nowadays will want information at their fingertips or just shoved to them right up, as research becomes a tedious thing to do. BTL marketing is most of the time better and less expensive than ATL marketing that C/N mostly do.