Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2012, 03:12 AM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I think the cable release connector is the one on the right, the left-hand grip will have the USB port.
Right, I figured that out after and edited the post.

QuoteQuote:
Speaking of connectors... Is there a bottom-view photo of the K-30?
None that I was able to find.

05-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I note that the K-30 shares the same AA Battery Holder D-BH109 as the Kr, as well as the same rechargeable D-LI109 Lithium-ion battery. Probably also the same optional AC adapter K-AC109E.

These power resemblances with the K-r may not bode well for a battery grip option on the K-30.
JohnCPentax (Manager of Marketing for Ricoh Pentax Americas) confirmed there are no contacts on the bottom of the K30 for attaching a grip, and no grip is planned.

Last edited by audiobomber; 05-22-2012 at 05:30 AM.
05-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
JohnCPentax (Manager of Marketing for Ricoh Pentax Americas) confirmed there are no contacts on the bottom of the K30 for attaching a grip, and no grip is planned.
I see. Too bad. I guess they had to remove some features from the K-5 to avoid cannibalizing it altogether. Too bad, since many competitors' cameras in this price range or lower have optional grips. The $618 street price Canon T3i does.

I guess the K200D is still the only camera that can take 8 AAs (4 inside + 4 in grip), which rocks, especially with eneloops. Since the K200D didn't do video or live view, one didn't use the LCD screen as much, and those 8 batteries could last for 2000 pictures.

I don't think any other brand has any DSLR that can take that many AAs. My Canon T3i can take 6 AAs in its grip.

Back to the K30 . Does anyone know if it will take advantage of UHS-1 cards for buffer flushing ?

I got a UHS-1 Patriot 32GB last week, for $32. Coupled with a $20 USB 3.0 card reader, I can download video files at 60MB/s to the PC. This is very sweet.
The K-r still takes a while to flush its buffer. The UHS-1 doesn't help with it.
05-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Sorry I don't speak video.

05-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Then why is Pentax in a distant 3rd place in SLRs. some people are content, but the critical mass obviously aren't and buying other brands instead.
Of course you're assuming the "critical mass" actually knows how to use the cameras that they are buying as something more than a P&S accessory to their wardrobes. There are a few people in my local photo groups who actually manage take their DSLR off the programed settings but you'd be amazed at how many people there have a $1200 camera and who haven't the faintest idea of how to use it properly. They go to the store here. They get offered a bunch of Canon and Nikon cameras, and not much else, they buy what the sales person says to buy. They take it home and use it like it was a $40 pocket camera that just happens to be able to change out a lens.

It's the same with professional software. I'm currently teaching 3 different people in that group how to use Photoshop who bought it because they absolutely thought they needed it but who never did really figure out how to use it. I'll give those guys credit because at least they want to learn. I'm one of about a dozen females with a DSLR in said groups and FYI, only two of us know how to actually use them. Again, you have people shooting with DSLR's like they were pocket cams. There are at least half a dozen people in our groups who are working semi-pro taking paid wedding shots and the like with absolutely no knowledge of what they are doing beyond using portrait mode. It's absurd.

My personal experience is that most people who go out of their way to own a Pentax have darned good reasons for owning one. They've done some homework to decide which camera and which lenses are best for them, and generally speaking they at least attempt to use the camera off full auto once in a while. If I had a dollar for every person I've met with a Nikon or a Canon in their hand who hasn't even read the manual to their camera even once I'd have enough to buy myself a brand new K30, no problem. Me, even with my apprenticeship officially done I'm sitting here still busting my arse to learn everything I can about my craft so I can deliver the best quality work I am capable of. Even if I didn't despise the very idea of doing one, I wouldn't touch doing a wedding right now because technically speaking that's a darned tough job to do well and I don't feel I'm experienced enough yet to go there. I only take jobs so far where I know I can take my time, where there's no pressure of time and lousy lighting situations, so I can get it right. These people out there advertising their services at $500-1000 a pop doing an entire wedding on auto they just stun me with their brazen audacity.

I was at a wedding a while back and the so called photographer was doing exactly that. Using a camera on full auto mode with the on board flash to take shots of the happy couple. I didn't know the couple very well. They're the kids of some friends from our park and I basically got roped into going because the parents are pretty close to my parents. But I expressed my surprise to the groom's Mom. She made a face. Turns out they used the woman because the bride's family knows her and she offered as a wedding present. They jumped at it because it was free. But normally this woman she does shoot these events for pay. I saw the book after? I'd have cried my eyes out had I been the bride, seriously, they were that bad, and she's charging $500-1000 normally for that. FYI, that bride and groom and I are actually doing some portrait work in studio soon so at least they'll have something decent to display in their picture frames. The groom's Mom asked me to help them out because they are definitely having some remorse now about going cheap for the event. The woman who shot the wedding isn't exactly happy about that fact from what I hear but whatever.

The way I see it if you're going to attempt to do something like shoot a wedding you should at least know the basics of the photographic holy trinity, how to use your camera in full manual mode, how to use a larger bounce flash, and where to aim that camera when it's important. If you can't? Then you probably have no business even owning a DSLR let alone setting yourself up as a photographer for pay, and if the logo on your DSLR camera is merely something you think about in terms of which designer shoes you'd wear? Then you need to put that DSLR down and stick to using a cell phone or pocket cam until you're ready to read a basic book on photography at least.

There are way too many people out there picking up a DSLR who haven't a CLUE as to how to use one and they don't intend upon learning either. Canon and Nikon, they're just designer labels, the most popular brand, the one they "have" to own for that reason. Add to that the fact that Pentax isn't exactly available all over the place and it's no wonder they have such a low market share compared to the other two. I believe that can change. If they can get into stores like Target and Walmart, Best Buy in a major way, if they can give these people a chance to see their cameras in person they will sell more. A camera like the K30 with it's "sexy" styling and the metallic sports colors? That will actually appeal to the "masses" or would if they ever got to see it.
05-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #81
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Though, the K30 isn't just for the newbies or clueless.
It would have been good to have the option of a WR grip for the camera like the K200D, but I guess Pentax know best about how D-BG3 sales had gone for them.
The alternate colours are a definite attraction nevertheless.
I'm excited about the higher end model announcement given all these things we'd been wishing for in this camera...
05-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Of course you're assuming the "critical mass" actually knows how to use the cameras that they are buying as something more than a P&S accessory to their wardrobes.....There are at least half a dozen people in our groups who are working semi-pro taking paid wedding shots and the like with absolutely no knowledge of what they are doing beyond using portrait mode. It's absurd.
There are way too many people out there picking up a DSLR who haven't a CLUE as to how to use one and they don't intend upon learning either. Canon and Nikon, they're just designer labels, the most popular brand, the one they "have" to own for that reason. Add to that the fact that Pentax isn't exactly available all over the place and it's no wonder they have such a low market share compared to the other two. I believe that can change. If they can get into stores like Target and Walmart, Best Buy in a major way, if they can give these people a chance to see their cameras in person they will sell more. A camera like the K30 with it's "sexy" styling and the metallic sports colors? That will actually appeal to the "masses" or would if they ever got to see it.
Magkelly,
My own recent experience may offer more food for thought. I needed the money and a good friend getting married offered to have me shoot the wedding reheasal at a local restaurant for pay. I said yes before thinking and had 5 weeks to prepare. Holy crap! What did I get myself into? I tried test shots with two flash units and the results were horrible. So, I made my own bounce card (a huge, goofy looking thing that looks like an overgrown lightbulb silhouette made with gold vellum from Hobby Lobby - I figured I would never see most of these people ever again anyway, so I did not care what it looked like), plus a whole bunch of little accessories from Hong Kong and Shanghai courtesy of eBay and 1/4" washers from Home Depot to adjust mounting depth of modified multiple-arm brackets. What a learning adventure. I was not pleased at first, so I had to change in mid-stream the style of shooting inside a dark restaurant, played more with manual mode, ditched it and went with Av and -1 compensation for the best results. I have four distinct styles of shooting during that evening as can be seen in the photos. It is a heck of a way to learn and I am glad I did it, but also glad I don't have to do it again like that. The scary thing is that I learned how much more I don't know. Good thing, too, that I have developed a good workflow with three pieces of dirt cheap software - no Photoshop needed, and the final results should be at least passable. I would be totally terrified of doing the actual wedding. Was observing the real photographer during the Sunday afternoon wedding and he was working his tail off trying to keep up with all the demands. His "assistant" was next to useless (she did not lift a finger to help him and floated around as if she had nothing to do). Not sure what arrangement that was, but I was glad to be done with it two nights earlier. Found out later that the bride's Mom was looking for me around 3pm because the main photographer was very late in arriving....yikes!! Glad I dodged that bullet......

Great post by the way. Yes, things can change. People at the rehearsal could care less that I was using Pentax. I looked professional and had the right equipment with me to impress them. Most ordinary people don't care as much about name badges, but they do look at the whole package and what it looks like as a whole. My idea on another post is to bring your Pentax camera/lens combo to every photo club meeting and converse naturally about it specifically (purposely) relating stories on how one or more features in the combo helped save a shot from mediocre to a keeper. Just an idea.....

Last edited by goldenarrow; 05-22-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: text
05-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #83
Veteran Member

magkelly,

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
If they can get into stores like Target and Walmart, Best Buy in a major way, if they can give these people a chance to see their cameras in person they will sell more. A camera like the K30 with it's "sexy" styling and the metallic sports colors? That will actually appeal to the "masses" or would if they ever got to see it.
I really doubt many people are going to buy any $849 DSLR body on the spot without knowing anything about it at Target or Walmart. Best Buy or Costco, maybe, if Pentax are able to get in there. But the K30 price is just not that of an entry-level DSLR .

Everyone cannot be an expert in photography. A class should not be required to own a DSLR, IMO. If it was, then no manufacturer would be in business. Or DSLRs would start at $10,000. Canon and Nikon have the unwashed masses on their side, and with their sales volume they can bring their unit prices down.
Photography is very accessible, compared to, say, people who buy musical instruments and can't play them, and maybe will never be able to play them even if they try. If people have a desire to learn photography, then they will. If they don't, they will not take great pictures, but they might still enjoy what they are able to do.
Not everyone has the time and is so inclined to put the effort to learn all the details. But if they don't, I certainly agree they should not be offering their services for professional jobs like weddings. A good compact with a superzoom may well be more appropriate than a DSLR for most people indeed. I wouldn't say that cell phone cameras are even cameras. I think most people can easily tell the difference, just as they can easily tell the difference between good shots from DSLRs and shots from compacts.
It makes me cringe every time I see all the terrible blurry, noisy, and/or underexposed cell phone pictures on facebook.
The nerves those people have to take all those terrible pictures, just because their cell phone fits in their pocket, and their DSLR doesn't
05-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #84
Forum Member

Thought I had found a replacement for my KR, but no battery grip ! Not interested. Still regret selling my K200D and grip.
05-23-2012, 03:04 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Trying to break a bubble here as... Canon speaks of announcing the 650D in June. Is that Rebel the big boy's answer to Pentax's K-30? Or will it be a 65D or something?
05-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Trying to break a bubble here as... Canon speaks of announcing the 650D in June. Is that Rebel the big boy's answer to Pentax's K-30? Or will it be a 65D or something?
also known as the T4i replacement for the current rebel. leaked specs are nothing special, though it is 18mp versus the 16 of the k30, generally Canon sensors have not performed in the same league of late. the 2 features that will draw attention are Wifi and touchscreen (an obvious response for the Kutcher crowd) 9 cross point af (so same # as the K30), pretty much looks like a mildly upgraded T3i so a plastic bulky poorly designed ergonomics . to my eye the K-30 looks the better machine machine from a designed for photographers standpoint. the T4i will of course outsell it 4 to one though maybe less with the K-30 going into Target (and probably some other big stores)
05-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K5 vs K30 spec wise

People mention this is an entry level pentax, how does it compare to the top dog the K5? From what we know so far.
05-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rzarector Quote
People mention this is an entry level pentax, how does it compare to the top dog the K5? From what we know so far.
I don't see anything entry-level about this camera. The marketing manager for Pentax Americas said they refer to it as a mid-level DSLR. Entry level cameras don't have two wheels or weather-resistance.

K-5 has 14-bit raw vs 12, ISO 80 vs 100. K-5 has a few more switches (metering mode, separate buttons for AE-L & AF, AF Select), where the K-30 has menus. Metal body vs. metal frame & polycarbonate body. ISO performance should be equal, maximum dynamic range should be about 1.5 stops higher in favour of the K-5, resolution is equal. The K-30 has focus peaking for manual focus in Live View, better video mode (I don't know the details because I don't care about video) but the K-5 will allow an external mike. K-30 is slightly smaller & lighter, battery won't last as long (half as many shots?), but the K-30 can also use AA's. K-30 has more WR seals and improved AF. K-30 is priced lower. That's all I can think of.
05-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #89
Veteran Member

How does the K-30's prospective DR capabilities compare to the K-r? If it's not quite up to K-5 standards, how much better than the K-r do we expect it to be?
05-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #90
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Though, the K30 isn't just for the newbies or clueless.
It would have been good to have the option of a WR grip for the camera like the K200D, but I guess Pentax know best about how D-BG3 sales had gone for them.
The alternate colours are a definite attraction nevertheless.
I'm excited about the higher end model announcement given all these things we'd been wishing for in this camera...
A weather sealed white body out on the spring fed rivers would be nice in August when the temps hit over 100 F and 95% humidity. I have had the K200d to give me problems in those conditions. Then again, I wasn't doing all that well in those conditions. At least the water was 70 F or (~ 20 C).