Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #136
Pentaxian
liukaitc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,005
seems I really should try out my friend's d7000 to see how better the AF is to my k-5.....

05-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #137
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 152
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
seems I really should try out my friend's d7000 to see how better the AF is to my k-5.....
It's not. Had a D7000 for 3 weeks before i replaced it with a K5. Autofocus performance is on par with the K-5 in terms of both speed and accuracy.
05-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #138
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
It's about as large as the circle in the middle.

If you're talking about the two quarter circle outlines - then I agree, and I've run tests to show that. In total that's an area perhaps 20x the area of the red square, and much larger than the average hummingbird eyeball.
05-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #139
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,311
QuoteOriginally posted by ZizZ^ Quote
It's not. Had a D7000 for 3 weeks before i replaced it with a K5. Autofocus performance is on par with the K-5 in terms of both speed and accuracy.
Of course it is... in terms of speed and accuracy... But thats only a small part of the complete AF system.
For many, thats enough For others, its not.

My shooting is constant AF-C only, with tracking mode or 9-point area in either middle, left or right side. Hold AF button.
This is where everything about AF point size, placement of those and the rest of the AF system comes to play.
My D7K is way ahead of the K-5 in that, and i tried them side by side for a period to be sure... didnt have to think more than one day about it though.

But, its about shooting styles And one should choose whatever works best for their needs. And its about lenses to.

Speed and accuracy straight forward in AF-S. No difference at all (no real world difference) between Pentax and Nikon.

I really hope Pentax in the future can catch up in that area (AF-C) wich many dont think of. There is a bias on the forums to only look at AF-S and its speed and accuracy when theres much much more to the AF system than that.

05-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #140
Pentaxian
liukaitc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,005
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Of course it is... in terms of speed and accuracy... But thats only a small part of the complete AF system.
For many, thats enough For others, its not.

My shooting is constant AF-C only, with tracking mode or 9-point area in either middle, left or right side. Hold AF button.
This is where everything about AF point size, placement of those and the rest of the AF system comes to play.
My D7K is way ahead of the K-5 in that, and i tried them side by side for a period to be sure... didnt have to think more than one day about it though.

But, its about shooting styles And one should choose whatever works best for their needs. And its about lenses to.

Speed and accuracy straight forward in AF-S. No difference at all (no real world difference) between Pentax and Nikon.

I really hope Pentax in the future can catch up in that area (AF-C) wich many dont think of. There is a bias on the forums to only look at AF-S and its speed and accuracy when theres much much more to the AF system than that.
I did not own k-7. but people say AF-C in k-5 is a lot of improvement over k-7.
so I think Pentax can do a better job in the future model
05-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #141
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,716
Pentax has said the improvements made in AF in the K-30 will be improved further in the K-5 replacement. And that's great to know, but I'm one of those guys who seems happy with the K-5 so for me any improvement is bonus. Hell I was happy with my *ist. I spent so long in manual focus with failing eyes, any autofocus at all makes me happy. I like guys like the swede, but I don't want to be them.
05-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #142
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,311
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead;:
I like guys like the swede, but I don't want to be them.
Well, that was a very polite statement
What i said earlier is still a straight forward and common sence way of seeing things.
One should choose and use the gear that fits their needs the best.
Im here because im still very interested in Pentax and will, in one way or another use their products
05-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #143
Veteran Member
TenZ.NL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Below sealevel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,100
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Of course it is... in terms of speed and accuracy... But thats only a small part of the complete AF system.
For many, thats enough For others, its not.

My shooting is constant AF-C only, with tracking mode or 9-point area in either middle, left or right side. Hold AF button.
This is where everything about AF point size, placement of those and the rest of the AF system comes to play.
My D7K is way ahead of the K-5 in that, and i tried them side by side for a period to be sure... didnt have to think more than one day about it though.

But, its about shooting styles And one should choose whatever works best for their needs. And its about lenses to.

Speed and accuracy straight forward in AF-S. No difference at all (no real world difference) between Pentax and Nikon.

I really hope Pentax in the future can catch up in that area (AF-C) wich many dont think of. There is a bias on the forums to only look at AF-S and its speed and accuracy when theres much much more to the AF system than that.
Swede, I wonder if you use AF-c with 5 or 11 points?

05-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #144
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,311
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Swede, I wonder if you use AF-c with 5 or 11 points?
I tried/used both modes. They definitively work good. If i remember correct i think the single spot AF-C worked the best for me, followed by 5 point and last 11 point. Also tried this with release priority, wich worked alot better than the K-7 did.
The speed was not an big issue with K-5 imho I suspect the K-30 wont have an dramatic step up in terms of tracking with these 11 points, but possibly better.
The next higher end body from Pentax will no doubt be better.

Hope this answers your question
05-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #145
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 152
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Of course it is... in terms of speed and accuracy... But thats only a small part of the complete AF system.
For many, thats enough For others, its not.

My shooting is constant AF-C only, with tracking mode or 9-point area in either middle, left or right side. Hold AF button.
This is where everything about AF point size, placement of those and the rest of the AF system comes to play.
My D7K is way ahead of the K-5 in that, and i tried them side by side for a period to be sure... didnt have to think more than one day about it though.

But, its about shooting styles And one should choose whatever works best for their needs. And its about lenses to.

Speed and accuracy straight forward in AF-S. No difference at all (no real world difference) between Pentax and Nikon.

I really hope Pentax in the future can catch up in that area (AF-C) wich many dont think of. There is a bias on the forums to only look at AF-S and its speed and accuracy when theres much much more to the AF system than that.
Its true, that the D7K has indeed a more sophisticated system and for that it's better for focus tracking perhaps. But speed and accuracy in spot focus mode is in no way better imo.
05-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #146
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,311
QuoteOriginally posted by ZizZ^ Quote
Its true, that the D7K has indeed a more sophisticated system and for that it's better for focus tracking perhaps. But speed and accuracy in spot focus mode is in no way better imo.
I agree

Now... lets drop that subject and "focus" on K 30 shall we

Last edited by the swede; 05-30-2012 at 01:45 PM.
05-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #147
Veteran Member
TenZ.NL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Below sealevel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,100
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
I tried/used both modes. They definitively work good. If i remember correct i think the single spot AF-C worked the best for me, followed by 5 point and last 11 point. Also tried this with release priority, wich worked alot better than the K-7 did.
The speed was not an big issue with K-5 imho I suspect the K-30 wont have an dramatic step up in terms of tracking with these 11 points, but possibly better.
The next higher end body from Pentax will no doubt be better.

Hope this answers your question
Thank you, I figured as much. Personnally I found 11 points AF-c is way too slow and cannot decide between subject and background is the background is not entirely uniform. 5point is much better but on occasion displays the same annoyance. I`ll try release-priority, maybe this works better.
05-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #148
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
Tried the early firmware K-30 yesterday and focus lock was very positive indoors. No hesitation, so there is a lot to like. If one wasn't already a K-5 owner it's definitely an easy choice. It's like an amalgamation of the essential bits of the K-5, K-01 with K-r colors and price point. I think this is a winner.
05-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #149
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,716
I too liked the focus lock on the one I tried. I was thinking "get one for wildlife and action then use the K-5 for landscape", then the Pentax guy said "of course this technology will also be built into the K-5 successor". Now I have to decide. Go for the water sealed mid-entry or wait for the K-5 successor, that might be even better? What would Richard Avedon do?
05-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #150
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,772
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Tried the early firmware K-30 yesterday and focus lock was very positive indoors. No hesitation, so there is a lot to like. If one wasn't already a K-5 owner it's definitely an easy choice. It's like an amalgamation of the essential bits of the K-5, K-01 with K-r colors and price point. I think this is a winner.
Aww... too bad I missed this gathering.

Nice to hear about the AF
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, focus, k-30, k-50, lens, module, pentax, pentax k30, pentax k50, sensor, sensors, subjects, system
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax vs Canikon (English Assignment) jellyfish26 General Talk 11 10-05-2011 06:31 AM
Wow, this guy really hates the K5 and says Pentax is 2 generations behind Canikon crossover37 Pentax K-5 131 05-16-2011 10:36 PM
Pentax K-5 beats Canikon -- that's the cover story in Germany now falconeye Pentax News and Rumors 53 02-27-2011 03:40 PM
We hear about people switching to Canikon, anyone switched from Canikon to Pentax? Eric Seavey Pentax DSLR Discussion 22 08-08-2010 06:54 AM
interesting nikon/canon rival survey kenyee Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 12-19-2007 07:36 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:02 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top