Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Tried the early firmware K-30 yesterday and focus lock was very positive indoors.
What firmware? They had v0.3 here in Toronto last weekend, and it seemed like only a slight improvement over the K-5 in terms of speed-to-lock. I think Dan (the Pentax rep who knows his stuff) said that AF-C was much better already, but all of it would be improved before the end of June. Testing the v0.3 AF-C in a bright exhibit hall with slow walking photogs was not ideal...

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What would Richard Avedon do?
Surround himself with gorgeous models and supplicating fans and then drink and smoke a bit... which doesn't sound so bad.

Last edited by panoguy; 05-30-2012 at 07:34 PM.
05-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #152
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZizZ^ Quote
It's not. Had a D7000 for 3 weeks before i replaced it with a K5. Autofocus performance is on par with the K-5 in terms of both speed and accuracy.
The same problems and the same speed. The same level. But, it seems to me K-5 is better in terms of front focus.
05-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #153
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
I did not own k-7. but people say AF-C in k-5 is a lot of improvement over k-7.
so I think Pentax can do a better job in the future model
As for me - K-5 is just a bit better than K200D in speed and tenacity in good light.
BUT...My K200D has no problems with BF and FF with ALL my lenses. K-5 needs AF adjustment with 2 my lenses.
05-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Thank you, I figured as much. Personnally I found 11 points AF-c is way too slow and cannot decide between subject and background is the background is not entirely uniform. 5point is much better but on occasion displays the same annoyance. I`ll try release-priority, maybe this works better.
Release priority will not let the shutter go unless AF has a lock, this will slow things down too So theres pros and cons about that mode.
Its what i said earlier that is the most important part for Pentax to adress.... the tracking.

05-31-2012, 05:21 AM   #155
Loyal Site Supporter

I too liked the focus lock on the one I tried. I was thinking "get one for wildlife and action then use the K-5 for landscape", then the Pentax guy said "of course this technology will also be built into the K-5 successor". Now I have to decide. Go for the water sealed mid-entry or wait for the K-5 successor, that might be even better? What would Richard Avedon do?
Avedon would hire a Sherpa and take the Deadorff 8x10 then he would shoot 17000 sheets of film and whittle it down to 124 shots.
06-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #156
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
As for me - K-5 is just a bit better than K200D in speed and tenacity in good light.
BUT...My K200D has no problems with BF and FF with ALL my lenses. K-5 needs AF adjustment with 2 my lenses.
See, this is why I am reluctant to give up my K200D - even though I have a K-5. If the K30 provides a modern version of this kind of reliability and accuracy, then my K200D will go to a well-deserving niece. I can hardly wait for the reviews - both from the professionals and early K30 owners. I'm tempted to preorder a K30, but I think I'll force myself to wait.
06-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #157

Photos: Albums
I would like to see how the AF on K-30 vs the Canon 650D...
06-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #158
Pentaxian

If the K30 could be on par with the 600D it would be great already !

06-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #159
Veteran Member

I do not get it
I tried my friend d7000 AF-C with nikon 17-55 f2.8
I feel it is lightly slower than my k-5 AF-C in daylight......

Last edited by liukaitc; 06-13-2012 at 04:27 PM.
06-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #160
Pentaxian

That's because in most light there's very small fraction of a second between them. The actual range when Canikon's are notably better is not in the shooting range most of us use. A few use it all the time, so it's important for some, most of us might think the K-5 was better , all the time if we were a tiny bit biased. Canikons apparently also track moving objects better. Again for most of us we're talking less than .01% of our shots, but there are folks who shoot like that all the time
06-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #161
Site Supporter

That's because in most light there's very small fraction of a second between them. The actual range when Canikon's are notably better is not in the shooting range most of us use. A few use it all the time, so it's important for some, most of us might think the K-5 was better , all the time if we were a tiny bit biased. Canikons apparently also track moving objects better. Again for most of us we're talking less than .01% of our shots, but there are folks who shoot like that all the time
I do! Almost 100% of the time too.

For me, a "tracking" AF is a "near-must"! Paradoxal?

If the K30 can show some of that "tracking", I am hoping for the next flagship to be able to do even better.

Wishful thinking?

JP
06-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #162
Pentaxian

As my kids start playing team sports the limitations of AF-C on my K-5 is starting to hurt. This is not 0.01% of my shots, my K-5's primary purpose is sports (AF-C tracking critical), travel pics (K-5 is a little bigger than ideal for this though) & concert pics (where low light accurate AF critical). I use film for general family snaps.

As m4/3's mature DSLR's need to stay relavent as they are no longer the only kid in town who takes decent photos; what the DSLR still has over a m4/3s camera is "ultimate" IQ (large sensor.. hint hint), and AF-C tracking. A DSLR needs to tick those boxes IMHO or the reason for it existing will disappear.
07-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by james458 Quote
I would like to see how the AF on K-30 vs the Canon 650D...
I saw a K-30 liveview AF test and a 650D one with their new type lens on YouTube, and surprisingly the K-30 was a mile faster. Someone who had tried both commented on the slowness of the 650D in liveview. A couple of quickie K-30 phase detect AF demos also looked competitive, but time will tell, even my K100D can be made to look fast on a good day
07-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #164
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
I saw a K-30 liveview AF test and a 650D one with their new type lens on YouTube, and surprisingly the K-30 was a mile faster. Someone who had tried both commented on the slowness of the 650D in liveview. A couple of quickie K-30 phase detect AF demos also looked competitive, but time will tell, even my K100D can be made to look fast on a good day
Do you have a link to this?
07-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #165
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Release priority will not let the shutter go unless AF has a lock, this will slow things down too So theres pros and cons about that mode.
Its what i said earlier that is the most important part for Pentax to adress.... the tracking.
Ughhh ... ?

I thought this was as described here:

"For single AF, K-5 users can opt for either focus priority or shutter-release priority. Focus priority which mirrors the K-7's behavior in requiring an AF lock before the shutter can fire, while release priority starts exposure immediately that the shutter button is fully depressed, even if an AF lock hasn't been achieved. In continuous AF mode, the options are focus priority, or frame rate priority. The former requires an AF lock for each individual frame in the burst, while the latter replicates the K-7's behavior by emphasizing frame rate for each shot in the burst, even if this means a lock can't be achieved for individual frames in the burst."

JP