Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
Actually, there has been a thorough test (and it was posted here) about AF accuracy. and the K-5 was the most accurate (not fastest) of the camera's (and yes, they had taken Nikon and Canon camera's too in the test). Just don't know anymore where it was done.
Unfortunately my personal experience is different. K-5 is both slower and definitely less accurate then my Nikons. In fact, my biggest complaint about Pentax AF isn't its speed, but it's accuracy.

05-24-2012, 05:21 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Hehe.. are you Shure? Almost every vocalist I recorded required millions of hours of PP using auto-tune or Cubase note by note fixes so I gave up recording other people's music. (a couple of months ago now)
Yes. I'm sure. I have seen *many* vocalists live who are every bit as good RAW as they are post-processed. Much better than I can photograph them. Regina Spektor is the most spectacular example, but there are many others.
The ones who can't hold it up live aren't worth a cracker. Florence Welch - I'm talking to you.
05-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
In my experience the Safox upgrade between the 11 point AF in the K-x to the 11 point AF in the K-5 was minimal....
Based on what I read, I thought k-x to k-5 AF has improved a lot.
05-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #79
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Aren't all the patents on technologies related to Pentax photographic equipment transferred during the Pentax-Ricoh acquisition?

--DragonLord
I don't know. I hope so - because Hoya has gotten A LOT of Patents issued in the last couple years related to cameras...considering how long it takes to get a patent issued, wouldn't be hard to think these were related to Pentax. One is for butch looking AF module with and array using 5x9 line sensors with partial areas.

QuoteQuote:
by "faster AF" does it mean how fast and accurate the AF system takes to focus on the right subject? Because I just thought, if a "faster" AF system actually drives the screw mechanism faster than older AF software can...
Focusing on the right subject seems, to me, to be the biggest issue. For most, I think that would mean having more precise control over what they want the AF to focus on, which would mean smaller AF sensors. AF-C is an issue also, so it seems more AF sensors would be needed and better tracking algorithms. I don't feel the current sensors aren't sensitive enough - they seem to be able to lock in on just the slightest contrast, and reportedly in the EV ranges they are supposed to.

Anyway, gotta figure more sensors and more brains need yet more processing power (speed) to resolve all the intergral operations for all the sensor areas.

Once the (correct) defocus amount is figured, then it IS a matter of motor speed and control and precision. New AF/SDM/DC motors could help, tighter servo loops, less build slop, etc. See a few patents for that type of stuff too, so who knows!

Last edited by jmg257; 05-24-2012 at 10:24 AM.
05-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Unfortunately my personal experience is different. K-5 is both slower and definitely less accurate then my Nikons. In fact, my biggest complaint about Pentax AF isn't its speed, but it's accuracy.
I think Macario was referring to this test/thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/154373-pentax-k-5-exce...ocus-test.html

Personally, I never understood what's wrong with the Pentax AF system. It has the same hickups as the other brands. I think it's a case of a little "the grass is greener on the other side" mixed with PEBC.
05-24-2012, 05:49 AM   #81
Veteran Member

you make a good point AF speed is a function of the lens now as well. SDM (in the zooms particularly) is not fast enough and that is a function of the lens motor. compared to the ds and the k10 the screw drive on the k7(and i assume the k5) is ridiculously fast IMO.
For me it is accuracy that is the issue sometimes. the Center point is very large and will pick the wrong subject sometimes. more smaller points can address this but that is not likely to appear in a K-30 level camera.
05-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I think Macario was referring to this test/thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/154373-pentax-k-5-exce...ocus-test.html

Personally, I never understood what's wrong with the Pentax AF system. It has the same hickups as the other brands. I think it's a case of a little "the grass is greener on the other side" mixed with PEBC.

agreed (and thanks for that link i was trying to find it yesterday)

It's easy for the grass to be greener on the other side sometimes, but you need to look apples to apples. at this price point the K30 is the only 11 point 9 crosshair AF, so in a lab shootout like the one in the magazine where it is tested in a controlled duplicatable scenario the K30 should outdo it comp set. Put it against a D4 and I'm pretty certain it loses

05-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
If you are using smaller lenses, try disabling SR and see if it improves.
05-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find this sort of thread regarding AF is always interesting because of the type of photography I do: wildlife/BIF/ 90% of the time.

So, for me, acurate and fast AF is a must, not just something I "want" but something I need.

Several members here mention that they have often missed a few (several?) "would-be-great" shots because of the Pentax AF performance(s).
I agree with them. I have owned a K10D, K20D, K7 and now a K5 ... there has definitely been some improvement over the years but never to the point of being 100% satisfied.

I am overall pleased with the K5 performance(s) but I also wish for a more acurate AF system.

I am only hoping that the improved K-30 AF system will percolate to the "K-3" (when that happens) with even more improvement.

JP
05-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

I am only hoping that the improved K-30 AF system will percolate to the "K-3" (when that happens) with even more improvement.

JP
And you know for a fact that the K30 AF is better?

Fun all this speculating =]
05-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
And you know for a fact that the K30 AF is better?

Fun all this speculating =]
isn't it, personally i would hope that the k-30 af becomes the entry af and a newer af with more points comes along in the k-3 or lxd
05-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #87
Veteran Member

More points means the points get smaller and gather less light so they dont preform well with low light.

I think 11 points is enough for most, it surely is enough for me, i can do with 5 points...
05-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
isn't it, personally i would hope that the k-30 af becomes the entry af and a newer af with more points comes along in the k-3 or lxd
the size of the AF point is probably the key for a better AF. smaller area, to cover, easier to focus ok, maybe not, but at least user know precisely where is done the focus.
05-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #89
Veteran Member

My personal opinion on the K5 is that it has 3 major flaws that prevents a good camera from being the best APSC money can buy. One..... Flash accuracy Two..... Low light focus
and Three.... Focus points the size of dinner plates.
My gut feeling says the first two flaws will be fixed in the K30.
Plus all follow up models of course.
This just leaves the size of the focus sensors.
I dont know about you guys, but Ive a good feeling here.
The K30 is entry level and yet its having some nice new tech put into it.
This bodes well for the top end line. If there was ever a time for pentax to make the break, surley its gotta be now !
05-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
the size of the AF point is probably the key for a better AF. smaller area, to cover, easier to focus ok, maybe not, but at least user know precisely where is done the focus.
more points = smaller points, they can be off a fair bit on faster lenses

center point is particularly bad. the higher end nikon setup is quite nice. I think the K-30 looks to be the equal or better of the low end systems (though only proper tests will tell)