Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I don't need FASTER autofocus - but I do want more ACCURATE autofocus. Also:

No more tungsten front focus issues?? I hope so!
Actually, there has been a thorough test (and it was posted here) about AF accuracy. and the K-5 was the most accurate (not fastest) of the camera's (and yes, they had taken Nikon and Canon camera's too in the test). Just don't know anymore where it was done.

05-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
Actually, there has been a thorough test (and it was posted here) about AF accuracy. and the K-5 was the most accurate (not fastest) of the camera's (and yes, they had taken Nikon and Canon camera's too in the test). Just don't know anymore where it was done.
Yes - I know that one, but I want even more accuracy!

Essentially, where the AF fails for me (on my k-x) is when it fails to lock and then re-cycles. As fast as my lens may be, once it misses and has to re-cycle, then that ruins it. In addition, with the AF sensors so large, often times even if the AF is "accurate", it's accurate to the wrong thing. If those are better in the K-30, that would be just the icing on the cake for me.
05-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looking forward to the new AF system. Now I need new zoom lenses that have a short throw to go with it. The 35/2.4 is a nice fast prime. need more of those. Hoping the 50/1.8 will be simular in performance.
05-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

We'll see..

05-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Essentially, where the AF fails for me (on my k-x) is when it fails to lock and then re-cycles. As fast as my lens may be, once it misses and has to re-cycle, then that ruins it. In addition, with the AF sensors so large, often times even if the AF is "accurate", it's accurate to the wrong thing. If those are better in the K-30, that would be just the icing on the cake for me.
+1.

Last weekend I shot some common terns over the water with the K-5 and I expirienced more or less the same. Or, when the bird was flying toward me and AF on C and 5/11 point-matrix, the focus would lock into the (far) background. Not once but numerous times and even prefocussed.
Only with a clear blue sky behind the bird AF-c caught the object right but otherwise it was constantly hasitating between subject and background. 50% of all shots totally missed.

AF-c was an annoyance on the K20d and allthough it has somewhat improved in the K-5 it still sucks so I`m also very interested in the updated AF.
05-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
the state-of-the-art SAFOX IXi+ AF sensor module....assures responsive, high-precision autofocus operation by incorporating a diffraction lens to minimize chromatic aberration in accordance to the characteristics of each individual lens.
(emphasis added)

Diffraction lens... Wait a sec--this means Pentax is using diffractive optics, like in Canon's DO lenses? I'm very surprised to see that Pentax would use this sort of lens technology...

How would diffractive optics reduce chromatic aberration?

Edit: Okay, here's an explanation from Canon: Canon U.S.A. : Lens Performance

QuoteQuote:
Conventional glass lens elements disperse incoming light, causing chromatic aberration. The DO element’s dispersion characteristics are designed to cancel chromatic aberrations at various wavelengths when combined with conventional glass optics.
--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 05-21-2012 at 10:23 AM.
05-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Smarter AF is what we need! I am looking forward to seeing how the AF in this compares to the K-5 though.

05-21-2012, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

When I read it has the same 11 AF points my guess is there's no leap ahead here, this is a software upgrade not new AF hardware. It's the same AF system warmed over just like it was for the K-5. I expect a small improvement, maybe, but no where near Canikon levels.

I hope the K-5 sucessor has a real upgrade in AF. We need smaller points for a start and I think that's a function more of hardware than software.

EDIT: accually there is some new h/w, a new lens over the AF system. I seriously doubt it alone will close the gap much.

Last edited by twitch; 05-21-2012 at 03:58 PM.
05-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I saw a Chinese review about this topic too
k-5 outperform 60d and on par with d7000
05-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I seriously doubt the "i" in SAFOX IVi+ was the only thing keeping Pentax from the market leaders in AF performance (the AF system in a D7000 or 7D makes the K-5 seem like a film-era camera).

That said, I do hope however unrealistic it may be, that it is.
05-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

To answer your title, No.
Pentax's weakest point has always been AF-C. I'm convinced to do this properly, you need a lot more than 11 focus points...you need a much larger grid like you get on the D700...or the 1D/5DmkIII
05-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
DONT APPROVE UNTIL K-30 homepage announcement is visible
According to Pentax, the new AF system in the K-30 addresses many of the shortcomings of previous Pentax DSLRs. Do you think Pentax will finally be closer to the competition with the launch of this camera?
Oooh... I think the "i" in the IXi+ is the diffraction lens already. I will reserve excitement until several AF comparison tests have been made
05-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Re 'only 11 AF points', need to remember this is only an entry to mid range camera. However I still have hope that the improved microlenses and algorithm will still deliver an improvement. The fact the system takes light color temperature into account is promising.
05-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How much of the AF improvements are software and can any of those improvements come in a firmware upgrade for the K-5?
05-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I don't need FASTER autofocus - but I do want more ACCURATE autofocus.
This.

Need less hunting and more accuracy. Theoretically, the speed is good. But it seems like random time it just locks on, takes a photo and isn't actually in focus.

Plus, I thought at this point, the limiting factor was the SDM speed, not the AF module? Seems like we have seen consistent improvement with each generation improvement in screw drive speed, but it seems like SDM speeds have stalled out, leading one to believe that it is now the limiting factor. Hopefully, we'll be seeing more DC focus motors like in the 18-135WR, which feels to me like a big improvement.