Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #121
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Yes the AF in the K-5 was way behind the 7D for sure. If they can get it up to the 7D level and update the lenses to match for speed. Then and only then will anyone take it seriously for sports really. I am using one of the new Canon lenses and it is just accurate and fast in C or Servo mode. I am thinking years for this to happen with Pentax. Hope I am wrong but I am on the fence until that happens.
One other thing is the SR or IS in Canon. The new lenses really smack around the K-5. That really needs a refresh also. Very bad.
They will never catch up now. But I am hoping they will have a camera soon that I can buy to suit my needs. Good enough is all I want with Pentax for my photography.

Last edited by garyk; 05-27-2012 at 07:39 PM.
05-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
Yes the AF in the K-5 was way behind the 7D for sure. If they can get it up to the 7D level and update the lenses to match for speed. Then and only then will anyone take it seriously for sports really. I am using one of the new Canon lenses and it is just accurate and fast in C or Servo mode. I am thinking years for this to happen with Pentax. Hope I am wrong but I am on the fence until that happens.
One other thing is the SR or IS in Canon. The new lenses really smack around the K-5. That really needs a refresh also. Very bad.
They will never catch up now. But I am hoping they will have a camera soon that I can buy to suit my needs. Good enough is all I want with Pentax for my photography.
Not just sports, the 7D is also famous with wedding and events photographers. Until Pentax AF matches Canikon AF accuracy and speed will only most pro's in those fields consider getting a Pentax. I just hope that even during the short time of Pentax's acquisition from Hoya, Ricoh has already made leapfrogs in AF technology to be released in this year's models.

As for the SR, if Pentax can outperform Olympus' 5-axis IBIS...
05-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #123
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
According to Pentax, the new AF system in the K-30 addresses many of the shortcomings of previous Pentax DSLRs. Do you think Pentax will finally be closer to the competition with the launch of this camera?
Which models of Canon and Nikon do you mean?

I prefer smaller and more accurate and more sensitive sensors of new Pentax AF.
And more AF points. At least 15 or 19.

11 AF points in K-30 with the same big sensors even with upgraded algorithms - it's hard to say - if it will be the radical cure for Pentax AF. I will see...

Last edited by ogl; 05-28-2012 at 01:25 AM.
05-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #124
Veteran Member

My last two photo-events have been ruined by unusually large AF sensors... so I'm particularly perturbed about this right now!

05-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Not just sports, the 7D is also famous with wedding and events photographers. Until Pentax AF matches Canikon AF accuracy and speed will only most pro's in those fields consider getting a Pentax. I just hope that even during the short time of Pentax's acquisition from Hoya, Ricoh has already made leapfrogs in AF technology to be released in this year's models.

As for the SR, if Pentax can outperform Olympus' 5-axis IBIS...
5 axis?
If the sensor moves forward and backwards as well i doubt that will do any good for the sharpness since you will be changing focus essentially...
05-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
My last two photo-events have been ruined by unusually large AF sensors... so I'm particularly perturbed about this right now!
Are you talk about the physical size of the sensor or the size it measures with?
Since you clearly say "AF sensor" but i think you mean "AF point"
05-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #127
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Are you talk about the physical size of the sensor or the size it measures with?
He's clearly talking about the AF point sensor size...

05-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Effective AF also interacts a lot with the lens used (eg this table, for Canon AF). Some lenses are better than others in supporting good AF.

Sometimes good AF may be a trade off too - your sharpest or fastest lens may not be your best AF performer.
05-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #129
Inactive Account

The AF points are pretty small, especially compared to the actual sensors. Like many others, it sounds like he thinks the sensors and the area they cover are too big.
05-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #130
Veteran Member

I know the area that my sensors cover is too big for the shooting I try to do. I just did a test where a lens alternatively would back focus two cm and front focus two cm when given a chance on a striped target with apprx. 2 cm pattern.
05-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #131
Veteran Member

05-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I know the area that my sensors cover is too big for the shooting I try to do. I just did a test where a lens alternatively would back focus two cm and front focus two cm when given a chance on a striped target with apprx. 2 cm pattern.
It's about as large as the circle in the middle.
05-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #133
Veteran Member

i would even say that it might be slightly bigger and cover out of the circle a bit.
05-29-2012, 03:31 AM   #134
Veteran Member

With the K-x yes it's probably around that big... it's frustrating at times.
05-29-2012, 04:18 AM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
With the K-x yes it's probably around that big... it's frustrating at times.
indeed.

I hope the K5 remplacement will have smaller AF points