Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
seems I really should try out my friend's d7000 to see how better the AF is to my k-5.....

05-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #137
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
seems I really should try out my friend's d7000 to see how better the AF is to my k-5.....
It's not. Had a D7000 for 3 weeks before i replaced it with a K5. Autofocus performance is on par with the K-5 in terms of both speed and accuracy.
05-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
It's about as large as the circle in the middle.

If you're talking about the two quarter circle outlines - then I agree, and I've run tests to show that. In total that's an area perhaps 20x the area of the red square, and much larger than the average hummingbird eyeball.
05-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #139
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ZizZ^ Quote
It's not. Had a D7000 for 3 weeks before i replaced it with a K5. Autofocus performance is on par with the K-5 in terms of both speed and accuracy.
Of course it is... in terms of speed and accuracy... But thats only a small part of the complete AF system.
For many, thats enough For others, its not.

My shooting is constant AF-C only, with tracking mode or 9-point area in either middle, left or right side. Hold AF button.
This is where everything about AF point size, placement of those and the rest of the AF system comes to play.
My D7K is way ahead of the K-5 in that, and i tried them side by side for a period to be sure... didnt have to think more than one day about it though.

But, its about shooting styles And one should choose whatever works best for their needs. And its about lenses to.

Speed and accuracy straight forward in AF-S. No difference at all (no real world difference) between Pentax and Nikon.

I really hope Pentax in the future can catch up in that area (AF-C) wich many dont think of. There is a bias on the forums to only look at AF-S and its speed and accuracy when theres much much more to the AF system than that.

05-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #140
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Of course it is... in terms of speed and accuracy... But thats only a small part of the complete AF system.

My shooting is constant AF-C only, with tracking mode or 9-point area in either middle, left or right side. Hold AF button.
This is where everything about AF point size, placement of those and the rest of the AF system comes to play.
My D7K is way ahead of the K-5 in that, and i tried them side by side for a period to be sure... didnt have to think more than one day about it though.

But, its about shooting styles And one should choose whatever works best for their needs. And its about lenses to.

Speed and accuracy straight forward in AF-S. No difference at all (no real world difference) between Pentax and Nikon.

I really hope Pentax in the future can catch up in that area (AF-C) wich many dont think of. There is a bias on the forums to only look at AF-S and its speed and accuracy when theres much much more to the AF system than that.
I did not own k-7. but people say AF-C in k-5 is a lot of improvement over k-7.
so I think Pentax can do a better job in the future model
05-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #141
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax has said the improvements made in AF in the K-30 will be improved further in the K-5 replacement. And that's great to know, but I'm one of those guys who seems happy with the K-5 so for me any improvement is bonus. Hell I was happy with my *ist. I spent so long in manual focus with failing eyes, any autofocus at all makes me happy. I like guys like the swede, but I don't want to be them.
05-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #142
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead;:
I like guys like the swede, but I don't want to be them.
Well, that was a very polite statement
What i said earlier is still a straight forward and common sence way of seeing things.
One should choose and use the gear that fits their needs the best.
Im here because im still very interested in Pentax and will, in one way or another use their products

05-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #143
Veteran Member

Swede, I wonder if you use AF-c with 5 or 11 points?
05-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #144
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Swede, I wonder if you use AF-c with 5 or 11 points?
I tried/used both modes. They definitively work good. If i remember correct i think the single spot AF-C worked the best for me, followed by 5 point and last 11 point. Also tried this with release priority, wich worked alot better than the K-7 did.
The speed was not an big issue with K-5 imho I suspect the K-30 wont have an dramatic step up in terms of tracking with these 11 points, but possibly better.
The next higher end body from Pentax will no doubt be better.

Hope this answers your question
05-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #145
Inactive Account

Its true, that the D7K has indeed a more sophisticated system and for that it's better for focus tracking perhaps. But speed and accuracy in spot focus mode is in no way better imo.
05-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #146
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ZizZ^ Quote
Its true, that the D7K has indeed a more sophisticated system and for that it's better for focus tracking perhaps. But speed and accuracy in spot focus mode is in no way better imo.
I agree

Now... lets drop that subject and "focus" on K 30 shall we

Last edited by the swede; 05-30-2012 at 01:45 PM.
05-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #147
Veteran Member

I tried/used both modes. They definitively work good. If i remember correct i think the single spot AF-C worked the best for me, followed by 5 point and last 11 point. Also tried this with release priority, wich worked alot better than the K-7 did.
The speed was not an big issue with K-5 imho I suspect the K-30 wont have an dramatic step up in terms of tracking with these 11 points, but possibly better.
The next higher end body from Pentax will no doubt be better.

Hope this answers your question
Thank you, I figured as much. Personnally I found 11 points AF-c is way too slow and cannot decide between subject and background is the background is not entirely uniform. 5point is much better but on occasion displays the same annoyance. I`ll try release-priority, maybe this works better.
05-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #148
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tried the early firmware K-30 yesterday and focus lock was very positive indoors. No hesitation, so there is a lot to like. If one wasn't already a K-5 owner it's definitely an easy choice. It's like an amalgamation of the essential bits of the K-5, K-01 with K-r colors and price point. I think this is a winner.
05-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #149
Pentaxian

I too liked the focus lock on the one I tried. I was thinking "get one for wildlife and action then use the K-5 for landscape", then the Pentax guy said "of course this technology will also be built into the K-5 successor". Now I have to decide. Go for the water sealed mid-entry or wait for the K-5 successor, that might be even better? What would Richard Avedon do?
05-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #150
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Tried the early firmware K-30 yesterday and focus lock was very positive indoors. No hesitation, so there is a lot to like. If one wasn't already a K-5 owner it's definitely an easy choice. It's like an amalgamation of the essential bits of the K-5, K-01 with K-r colors and price point. I think this is a winner.
Aww... too bad I missed this gathering.

Nice to hear about the AF