Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Consistent body designs

The k30 brings a new body design for pentax, quite different from the classic k5,kr,kx slightly 'understated' look (a look which I quite liked). Which makes me think, how important is a consistent styling? I notice than nikon never stray too far from the conventional design with the red stripe on the hand grip, whilst canon have always stuck to the curved styling. But pentax really has made quite a radical change. The K30, without the pentax logo, looks more like an offering from sony.
I am assuming the same style will be adopted for the entry level K-z (or whatever name is chosen) and the K-3.
Would suddenly overhauling the traditional pentax look affect brand recognition? Or does it merely represent Ricoh's intention to revitalize the pentax brand name?
(For the record, I do not despise the k30's design, I am warming to it fast.)

05-21-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
(...)
I am assuming the same style will be adopted for the entry level K-z (or whatever name is chosen) and the K-3.
(...)
(For the record, I do not despise the k30's design, I am warming to it fast.)
I am not so sure. The entry-level camera, be it named K-z, K-300 or whatever, could be more "feminine" in its design.
05-21-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I am not so sure. The entry-level camera, be it named K-z, K-300 or whatever, could be more "feminine" in its design.

Yer maybe, I do think it is important that at least the flash unit or whatever it is called is the same for all 3 models, it would look odd if they had totally different designs
05-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
Forum Member

The K-7, K-5 and K-r all had a consistent look about them - and a good look at that. The K-01 is perhaps to Pentax what the stupid new Beetle is to VW; a K-5 (or Golf) in an embarrassing outfit. The K-30 doesn't look anything like a K-r or K-5 which I think is an unwise move. The look of a Canon or Nikon is quite distinctive (and yet somehow bland) and helps build the brand identity as much as the big logo on the camera strap.

05-21-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fast50 Quote
The K-7, K-5 and K-r all had a consistent look about them - and a good look at that. The K-01 is perhaps to Pentax what the stupid new Beetle is to VW; a K-5 (or Golf) in an embarrassing outfit. The K-30 doesn't look anything like a K-r or K-5 which I think is an unwise move. The look of a Canon or Nikon is quite distinctive (and yet somehow bland) and helps build the brand identity as much as the big logo on the camera strap.
So the Canikon (and pre-Ricoh Pentax) style is sameness, while the Pentax-Ricoh style is Something Different. Maybe Pentax-Ricoh is experimenting with different styles, AKA tossing wet noodles at the wall to see what sticks. I wonder what the next offerings will look like?
05-21-2012, 04:50 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I dont think the design is so different from the previous generation. It's merely a boosted K-5 in looks. But obvious tweaks/additions with that. I believe
it's important to make the costumer feel it is indeed a serious upgrade from just looking at it.

And i quite love the design personally.
05-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cameras are kinda like fashion accessories nowadays, it's good to be different from the crowd I think. To a lot consumers, IQ isn't the most important, but the look is.

05-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Cameras are kinda like fashion accessories nowadays, it's good to be different from the crowd I think. To a lot consumers, IQ isn't the most important, but the look is.
Hence Fuji's success.
What I do think is important, however, is that now pentax have made the k30, their new cameras need to resemble it. 3 totally different looking models plus a hideous K01 is just going to confuse people. One of the reasons I got the Kr was because it wasn't pretentious, that's why I like VW golfs, they get you from A to B, but very well and without attracting attention.
05-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hence Fuji's success.
What I do think is important, however, is that now pentax have made the k30, their new cameras need to resemble it. 3 totally different looking models plus a hideous K01 is just going to confuse people. One of the reasons I got the Kr was because it wasn't pretentious, that's why I like VW golfs, they get you from A to B, but very well and without attracting attention.
I like my Optio W10 because it doesn't look like an underwater camera (I used to shock people on the beach, especially a few years ago when waterproof cameras were less common than now), but it seems like Pentax think they can sell more W-series cameras if they look like sports gear. Maybe that's their logic with the K30 as well - after all the K200d didn't sell very well (I think). The K200d was a bit underwhelming in some specs as well, and back then they had no WR inexpensive kit lenses, so I think they have a better package now anyway, but still they may have thought that the camera should express its ruggedness and not hide it.
05-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
So the Canikon (and pre-Ricoh Pentax) style is sameness, while the Pentax-Ricoh style is Something Different. Maybe Pentax-Ricoh is experimenting with different styles, AKA tossing wet noodles at the wall to see what sticks.
Maybe, but I agree with the topicstarter. I think a design that changes every few models won't stick at all. It sticks only when you bring out model after model that looks generally the same. Then, visually, it's not just another camera, it's a Pentax. You can immediately relate it to previous models of the same camera maker, visually. That's why Nikon has the red part on the grip, and Canon has the curved design. I find it quite strange that a camera company, that focuses on building devices that capture visual images, would overlook the importance of this. Unless of course Pentax doesn't want us to relate new models to their predecessors, e.g. because they feel the image of those cameras wasn't good enough?

Last edited by starbase218; 05-21-2012 at 06:16 AM.
05-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I like my Optio W10 because it doesn't look like an underwater camera (I used to shock people on the beach, especially a few years ago when waterproof cameras were less common than now), but it seems like Pentax think they can sell more W-series cameras if they look like sports gear. Maybe that's their logic with the K30 as well - after all the K200d didn't sell very well (I think). The K200d was a bit underwhelming in some specs as well, and back then they had no WR inexpensive kit lenses, so I think they have a better package now anyway, but still they may have thought that the camera should express its ruggedness and not hide it.
I don't think the lack of a WR lens was the reason for the k200d's mediocre sales, the d90 is weatherproof also and yet nikon have no weather proof lenses (not to my knowledge anyway). Maybe the underwhelming pentax design has had an effect on its sales, but what's important is that they find something that tells people it's a pentax. The pop up flash design needs to stay the way they've made it in future models if pentax are to sort out brand recognition.
05-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fast50 Quote
I agree, I liked the boxy classic looks of the K7-K5-Kr. However the new K30 keeps some of the same squared-off-ness but adds a few design cues which hint at ruggedness and weather sealing, perhaps echoing the WG2 slightly. It's probably important for the weather-sealed aspect to be 'expressed' somehow in the camera design, in an entry level machine anyway. I also think they have further downsized it compared to the Kr as well, which probably explains the slightly odd prism/logo. I can't wait to see it properly!
05-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moved to the K-30 forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Havent yet seen the K-01 myself, but the K30 should make it to Australia in good numbers for us all to see here - looks to be great and the technology in it something to look forward to. Its design is certainly different, and being WR it will look and feel different from the K-x and K-r, but that's to be expected. It's good times coming for Pentax...
05-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would suddenly overhauling the traditional pentax look affect brand recognition? Or does it merely represent Ricoh's intention to revitalize the pentax brand name?
Outside of this forum there is very little Pentax brand recognition past the Spotmatics and K1000. I think they want to change that. There are very few cameras out there with "style", and that will grab buyers these days. For me I could care less what it looks like, how does it feel in your hand? and whats the IQ? etc