Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
No, it's just apparently in France it is illegal to market something in way that requires another purchase to be that way.

The first leaked K30 ad was French and marketed the K30 as "Tropicalized" so by law can only be shown (and presumably sold) with an WR lens. That makes sense to me.

Already we've seen ads with the K30 wet all over, even SUBMERSED in water (?), granted they all had WR lenses attached, but to me that's telling both the consumer and uninformed sales associate something that is patently false with the most common non-WR kit. This doesn't make sense to me.
Speaking of France, the phrase "idée fixe" comes to mind. Can't imagine why .....

05-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Feel free to gang up on me if thats what this forum is about, but there are currently 18-55mm WR and Non-WR bundles being pre-sold in the US for the exact same price.

If you think there'll be no confusion on this issue in the coming weeks, and that Pentax is faultless, then congratulations for being smarter than the average consumer. If only they made more of you clearly superior photographic enthusiasts.
05-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Of course there will be confusion on this matter, just as there has been confusion on many matters throughout human history. Somehow, people get over it, and life goes on.

Even if Penatx did waste cardboard building a special box just to offer a "kit" includng the WR lens, that wouldn't change the fact that some people would remain confused and might buy or use the camera with a non-WR lens.
05-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #49
Veteran Member

So nobody can acknowledge it would've been better if Pentax only wasted cardboard for WR kits to keep their marketing message pure (and explictly more truthful) while significantly avoiding any confusion with what exactly is in the box? OK.

I see what this forum is now.

05-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
??? Why not just get the camera body only and buy the 18-55 WR separately? Does Pentax have to waste cardboard putting both in a single box put the two in the same box in order for that to be a valid option?
Because when you buy a kit lens with the camera body, you typically get a very good deal on the lens. The 18-55mm WR lens is $199 MSRP. But if you buy it as a kit lens with the K-01 or K-5, it adds about $150 to the price.
05-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So nobody can acknowledge it would've been better if Pentax only wasted cardboard for WR kits to keep their marketing message pure (and explictly more truthful) while significantly avoiding any confusion with what exactly is in the box? OK.
Yes, I agree it would have been better in that would have quieted this pointless criticism. You might think the world is full of idiots who cannot figure out how to buy an WR lens, or that a WR camera with a non-WR lens somehow won't work. Years of actual experience prove otherwise. So if Pentax decides to sell a kit with 18-55WR, great, whatever, it will make no difference in the real world. Only in the imaginary world of people who like to make pointless complaints.
05-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I agree it would have been better in that would have quieted this pointless criticism. You might think the world is full of idiots who cannot figure out how to buy an WR lens, or that a WR camera with a non-WR lens somehow won't work. Years of actual experience prove otherwise. So if Pentax decides to sell a kit with 18-55WR, great, whatever, it will make no difference in the real world. Only in the imaginary world of people who like to make pointless complaints.
In the political arena what illdefined is doing is known as disinformation and misdirection. The intent is to foster a discussion of a non-pertinent or untrue subject, thus removing attention from the pertinent (and usually positive) attributes of the core subject, in this case, the outstanding new K-30 camera.

In its most virulent form this tactic follows introduction of some spurious charge, such as that Pentax is wrongly marketing a weather resistant camera that isn't realy weather resistant, which is falsely claimed to be consumer fraud.

In these cases no amount of rational discussion or argument - or even fact-checking and proof-posting - will deter the disrupter from the goal, which is to destroy an opponent before the opponent has a chance to establish valid identity characteristics.

This kind of behavior is bad enough if limited to one discussion or thread - but since illdefined persists in disrupting many threads in several sub-forums with these spurious arguments, one can only decide that illdefined is a troll for Canon or Nikon who is intentionally introducing doubt into these discussions of a truly outstanding new camera released by Pentax, which has an outstanding cost/featuere value proposition.

If, in fact, illdefined is not a troll for Canon or Nikon, then the behavior is so troll-like as to be offensive to then entire Pentaxforums community.
05-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
really confused
according to www.imaging-resource.com

"The Pentax K-30 goes on sale in the US market from July 2012. Pricing is set at around US$850 body-only, or US$900 with a DA L 18-55mm kit zoom lens. (That puts the latter at a premium of only $50, impressive even given that it's a DA L lens with plastic mount.)"

05-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I like how you guys casually dismiss other people who have issues with this, and choose to make focused personal attacks on me instead.

To say I'm disappointed with the PentaxForums community would be a massive understatement.
05-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Because you are pounding the same stuff everywhere, It's annoying. Camera is not ship to any dealer yet. At the end, I believe the WR lens will be in all package except body only
05-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Because you are pounding the same stuff everywhere, It's annoying. Camera is not ship to any dealer yet. At the end, I believe the WR lens will be in all package except body only
Trust me, it's annoying for me to even have to bring it up. especially suspecting you're going to be disappointed with that last belief.
05-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #57
Pentaxian

WE know now, let's talk about all the positive
05-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #58
Veteran Member

That 18-135mm WR kit looks absolutely killer and I hope it sells like hotcakes.
05-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #59
D0n
Banned

Trust me, it's annoying for me to even have to bring it up. especially suspecting you're going to be disappointed with that last belief.
thought never occurred to you that the people who will buy the camera with a non wr lens and take it scuba diving are probably too dumb to read your warning rants?

You might as well be putting up written signs for the blind there buddy, so why bother?

A man walks into his doctors office and sez "Doctor, doctor, you gotta help me! every time I twist my arm like this it really hurts."
to which the doctor replies "For starters.. stop twisting your arm like that."

you brought it up, we be warned, consider your mission "Accomplished"
05-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
thought never occurred to you that the people who will buy the camera with a non wr lens and take it scuba diving are probably too dumb to read your warning rants?

You might as well be putting up written signs for the blind there buddy, so why bother?

A man walks into his doctors office and sez "Doctor, doctor, you gotta help me! every time I twist my arm like this it really hurts."
to which the doctor replies "For starters.. stop twisting your arm like that."

you brought it up, we be warned, consider your mission "Accomplished"
not trying to warn them. that's not my job. it's Pentax's and I don't see them doing it.
Closed Thread