Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Because when you buy a kit lens with the camera body, you typically get a very good deal on the lens. The 18-55mm WR lens is $199 MSRP. But if you buy it as a kit lens with the K-01 or K-5, it adds about $150 to the price.
there is no reason it can't be promoted through instant rebate to offer that value without wasting bodies on kit packaging. In fact I would prefer a kit rebate option on any camera above entry level. I have loads of lenses and generally buy body only but if for instance i could get a kit price on the K30 with a DA50 1.8 or DAL35 2.4 i would opt that way. no need to put it in one box just make it an instant (ie retailer level) rebate for bundling on the same purchase) I have an 18-55 wr don't need another and don't want an 18-135. I am OTOH considering both those primes just to get AF in those focal lengths without spending a bomb

05-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #62

Photos: Gallery
I have noticed that the kits tend to have one body color. Any idea if that will be changing? I would love a two lens kit with the blue body..
05-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Seem the one kit lens will be available in Black white and Blue. The 2 kits lenses for the USA only in Black. I believe this was the same for the K-X and K-R
05-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #64
Veteran Member

I believe the distributors in each country are free to make their own choices about what kits to offer. In Sweden, where I live, the K-30 is sold with the 18-55 WR as the basic option.

05-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I believe the distributors in each country are free to make their own choices about what kits to offer. In Sweden, where I live, the K-30 is sold with the 18-55 WR as the basic option.
yes - a representative of Pentax, JohnCpentax confirmed this in the DPReview Pentax forum, that 'retailer needs' dictate which configurations they receive.

what's not 100% clear is if the 18-55mm WR Kit is really being sold here in the US or not. so far only B&H has listed it but with the same picture and price of every other US retailer's 18-55mm DA-L kit.

EDIT: Forum member Pentaximus called B&H and confirmed they are selling the 18-55mm WR kit. It must be a retailer exclusive because even camera giants Amazon and Adorama are only selling the DA-L kit at that price.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/186300-pentax-k30-pict...ml#post1961370

EDIT X 2: Disregard the above apparently. The "confirmation" was confirmed to be unconfirmed. Confused yet?

Last edited by illdefined; 05-22-2012 at 04:24 PM.
05-22-2012, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You do realize that water resistant is a marketing term and a relative term. It is also something that Pentax has been selling and marketing for years. Water resistance is such a vague term that almost anything could be called water resistant to some extent. Pentax has the advantage that they have actually weather sealed the camera and some of their lenses, but let's not kid ourselves. Anyone could naively go out, buy a body, and then slap a Tamron or Sigma brand lens and be surprised to find that the complete system is not going to be water resistant. No one can be that naive, and if they are, they surely aren't going to be able to blame Pentax, bring a class-action action suit, etc.... Proving that the camera is not weather resistant would be impossible, calling it false advertising would be impossible. The only real liability would occur if the cameras were advertised as weather/water proof. If you go look around Amazon, etc, you'll find that very few products are truly advertised as water proof. That's a liability most corporations don't want to tackle.

As for the continual complaints on this thread... The reality is you're preaching to the wrong choir. If you really think this is so wrong, complain to Pentax. Repeating yourself here does nothing for your point of view.
05-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
As for the continual complaints on this thread... The reality is you're preaching to the wrong choir. If you really think this is so wrong, complain to Pentax. Repeating yourself here does nothing for your point of view.
I would accept if the member started a single thread dedicated to the issue and centralized the entire discussion there - and let the argument flow.

Posting in every thread on the K30 is just plain bad Forum manners.

05-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #68
Veteran Member

I agree with monochrome and Emalvick
05-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I bought my first DSLR - the K200d, also come with non-wr kit lens (the 18-55 WR lens is not available at that time), at $530 (roughly a year after its introduction). A great value, when I look back now (but I think it is freaking expensive at that time, as a P&S camera user).

I think the trade-off in hardware Pentax made in K30 include removing the metal body and top LCD (both would have less people appreciate), but at the same time add nice features to it (that people would feel immediately), 100% view finder, dual battery selections, dual dials, etc.

Adding a WR kit lens bundle with this camera will really make this a "great value" for someone who want to get into dSLR. But I don't quite get it when company already earning $200, they want to earn $202 instead of adding a $2 value to make it customer feel much better. If it bundle with WR kit, this K30 will be a "Killer deal", but with non-WR kit lens, it will just be "Great deal". --- for a new customer without any Pentax lenses.

But this non-WR kit bundle will be a "Killer deal" when after a year, a $100 drop in price.

Lee
05-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I bought my first DSLR - the K200d, also come with non-wr kit lens (the 18-55 WR lens is not available at that time), at $530 (roughly a year after its introduction). A great value, when I look back now (but I think it is freaking expensive at that time, as a P&S camera user).

I think the trade-off in hardware Pentax made in K30 include removing the metal body and top LCD (both would have less people appreciate), but at the same time add nice features to it (that people would feel immediately), 100% view finder, dual battery selections, dual dials, etc.

Adding a WR kit lens bundle with this camera will really make this a "great value" for someone who want to get into dSLR. But I don't quite get it when company already earning $200, they want to earn $202 instead of adding a $2 value to make it customer feel much better. If it bundle with WR kit, this K30 will be a "Killer deal", but with non-WR kit lens, it will just be "Great deal". --- for a new customer without any Pentax lenses.

But this non-WR kit bundle will be a "Killer deal" when after a year, a $100 drop in price.

Lee
Eduited per above changes
Again, it is a retailer choice what to bundle into a kit. B&H bundles the WR; so far Adorama and Amazon are bundling the DA-L. Pentax just assembles the boxes and fills the orders as they receive them.

If pressed I'd bet B&H is using its volume pricing discount to compete with Amazon and Adorama on value in the kit spec's (by bundling the WR lens instead of the DA-L at the same price). Pentax makes whatever it makes on the items the retailers ordered to bundle into the kits.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-22-2012 at 02:33 PM.
05-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Again, it is a retailer choice what to bundle into a kit. B&H bundles the WR; so far Adorama and Amazon are bundling the DA-L. Pentax just assembles the boxes and fills the orders as they receive them.

If pressed I'd bet B&H is using its volume pricing discount to compete with Amazon and Adorama on value in the kit spec's (by bundling the WR lens instead of the DA-L at the same price). Pentax makes whatever it makes on the items the retailers ordered to bundle into the kits.
eeeeh not that simple since i believe the kits are bundled at the factory not locally. Also there is UPP to consider.... either BH is wronmg (it's been known to happen) or the others are...or it was rushed due to the leak and not everyone got all their ducks in a row so to speak (this I can believe)
I remember seeing all black K-01 in dealer ads at the beginning for example
05-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #72
Veteran Member

I would accept if the member started a single thread dedicated to the issue and centralized the entire discussion there - and let the argument flow.

Posting in every thread on the K30 is just plain bad Forum manners.
EVERY K30 thread monochrome? Really?

I posted my opinion to the K30 leak thread before the announcement, and this thread that somebody else started about the specific issue after the announcement. Not only are you being overly aggressive, but also disingenuous. Talking about manners.
05-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
eeeeh not that simple since i believe the kits are bundled at the factory not locally. Also there is UPP to consider.... either BH is wronmg (it's been known to happen) or the others are...or it was rushed due to the leak and not everyone got all their ducks in a row so to speak (this I can believe)
I remember seeing all black K-01 in dealer ads at the beginning for example
[Edit:04:22 pm CDT GMT-6] Per Adam on the Sticky pre-order thread in the K30 sub-Forum B&H is NOT bundling the WR version

B&H has affirmed that they are offering the WR lens with their kits and they are using a stock photo (showing the DA-L lens) until Pentax supplies one with a WR lens.

[EDIT:] In the dpreview interview/thread JC stated the WR lenses would be supplied based on "retailer needs"
John Carlson has affirmed that Pentax is bundling the kits at the factory to-order, based on what the retailer chooses to do.

The all black K-01 was on C. R. Kennedy's website and was lifted from Adam's speculative photoshop rendering here. Henry's then copied CR Kenedy's image for a day or two until regional distributors cleared things up.

That is materially different from Pentax USA's VP Marketing stating the retailers are free to bundle as they wish.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-22-2012 at 02:31 PM.
05-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #74
Veteran Member

B&H has affirmed that they are offering the WR lens with thier kits and they are using a stock photo (showing the DA-L lens) until Pentax supplies one with a WR l;ens.

John Carlson has affirmed that Pentax is bundling the kits at the factory to-order, based on what the retailer chooses to do.
Monochrome is correct here. But as ive stated before retailers offering two different 18-55mm kits at the same price will only increase market confusion, not lessen it.

EDIT: disregard above. B&H confirmation was premature and incorrect.

Last edited by illdefined; 05-22-2012 at 09:14 PM.
05-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Monochrome is correct here. But as ive stated before retailers offering two different 18-55mm kits at the same price will only increase market confusion, not lessen it.
If BH is offering the wr kitted confirmed then I imagine all the others will as well or the price will drop on Dal kits. there is a $100 difference on the lens value. Adorama for one is big enough to wnat the same (Wonder what Target has - hopefully the WR variant since that is where confusion will arise - and quite possibly where the most sales will come from - floorlining 3 colours alone would make them the biggest k-30 dealer even if only 60% of the stores get them)
Closed Thread