Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Woj Quote
Yes but the AE-L button, which I presume is used for back button focus on the k-5 (don't own one), is top right. Same place it is for a multitude of DSLRs. Sorry for any confusion.
The AF button on the K-5 IS the back button focus.

The AE-L button is the exposure lock.

My point is that the focus button is more or less in the same place for the K10D, K20D, K-7, K-5 and now the K-30.

I understand that as a left eye shooter, this could be an issue, all I'm saying is that the position is nothing really new for Pentax.

05-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aye, edited my other post, my mistake.
05-23-2012, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

I agree with this thread. I love the design of the K-30. I was beginning to think Pentax was losing the plot with that hideous looking K-01
05-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
The K-01 is very much a niche camera, it was never intended to appeal to everyone.
Releasing a camera that is specifically meant to appeal to certain people only, is a bold move by a company that struggles to gain more market share.

But I agree in principle with your viewpoint and regard the K-01 as an attempt by Pentax to expand their market by appealing to people who are somewhat "fashion forward" and are not concerned when function is compromised by looks. There is nothing wrong with that in principle, but it just rubbed me the wrong way that it is Pentax ("my company" ) that has this strategy.

However, now that Pentax demonstrated that they are not choosing the "K-01 way" for all their products, but still know how to design a DSLR, I'm a happy Pentax camper again. (I'm sure Pentax held their breath, NOT )

The K-30's awesomeness and what it promises for the future flagship, overshadows my gripes I had with the K-01 by a big margin.

05-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

So after your lengthy discourse, bottomline is are your going to buy it? All talk and no action ain't gonna help "your company."
05-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't see this as a design comeback at all. There are two designs, one you like and one you don't like. That is your opinion, nothing more. It may well be correct for you but that doesn't make it absolute.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Releasing a camera that is specifically meant to appeal to certain people only, is a bold move by a company that struggles to gain more market share
Hardly, that is what product design and development is all about. No product appeals to everyone. No doubt you've heard the trusim "Try to please everyone and you fail to please anyone.

However, now that Pentax demonstrated that they are not choosing the "K-01 way" for all their products, but still know how to design a DSLR,
I honestly can not understand why you would ever think Pentax would choose the K-01 way for all their product or that Pentax suddenly forgot how to design a DSLR.
05-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Releasing a camera that is specifically meant to appeal to certain people only, is a bold move by a company that struggles to gain more market share.

But I agree in principle with your viewpoint and regard the K-01 as an attempt by Pentax to expand their market by appealing to people who are somewhat "fashion forward" and are not concerned when function is compromised by looks. There is nothing wrong with that in principle, but it just rubbed me the wrong way that it is Pentax ("my company" ) that has this strategy.

However, now that Pentax demonstrated that they are not choosing the "K-01 way" for all their products, but still know how to design a DSLR, I'm a happy Pentax camper again. (I'm sure Pentax held their breath, NOT )

The K-30's awesomeness and what it promises for the future flagship, overshadows my gripes I had with the K-01 by a big margin.
Is "fashion forward" a politically correct way of saying 'bad taste'

05-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The K-01 is very much a niche camera, it was never intended to appeal to everyone.
That's just a pointless and irrelevant statement. Even though products are aimed at a certain market no one deliberately releases a product to have limitations in it's appeal.
05-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't want to respond to everything someone (e.g., creampuff) states in this thread, so if I don't, this should be interpreted as consent or that I don't have a good answer. I just don't want to enter certain discussions which have no promise of getting anywhere.

I think the following two points deserve clarification, though:

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
It may well be correct for you but that doesn't make it absolute.
And where did I say that everyone must be of the same opinion? Unless I'm missing something, you didn't start your post with "In my humble opinion" either. Is it not a given that every post to this forum expresses a personal viewpoint? There are posts that claim or have more generality, but I don't see how this thread could be regarded as anything else but a statement of a personal viewpoint.

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
I honestly can not understand why you would ever think Pentax would choose the K-01 way for all their product or that Pentax suddenly forgot how to design a DSLR.
I was concerned because there are many companies doing things I don't subscribe to. I was concerned because Pentax is under pressure. I was concerned that Pentax may have seen the "appeal to the hipster" route as a general way forward.

I cannot see myself buying a pink camera ever, but it doesn't concern me much that Pentax provides this option. It does, however, concern me when Pentax launches a product where looks came first and function second. Not only "looks" but "I need to prove my status as a star designer"-looks.

The thing is that the K-01 could have appealed to more people by avoiding a few mistakes. I like many aspects about the K-01 but hate the few mistakes that were made. It appeared, however, that Pentax did not care about those mistakes. That got me concerned. What crystal ball could have told me that Pentax wouldn't try the K-01 recipe for a DSLR as well?

Anyhow, the K-30 let's me forget about the K-01 mistakes and I'm looking forward to the forthcoming flagship which I will buy unless it is severely flawed in some way.
05-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

But I agree in principle with your viewpoint and regard the K-01 as an attempt by Pentax to expand their market by appealing to people who are somewhat "fashion forward" and are not concerned when function is compromised by looks.
If Lady Gaga gets a K-01 for herself, then Pentax has got its "niche" market really pinned down I think
05-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #26

Thank god Marc didn't get a hold of the K-30.
05-23-2012, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
That's just a pointless and irrelevant statement. Even though products are aimed at a certain market no one deliberately releases a product to have limitations in it's appeal.
Not pointless. That is my opinion. You don't need to agree.

Irrelevant? The discussion is on latest Pentax designs. K-01 is recent, and thus relevant.

Yes companies will design products that are limited in appeal to a group because they know it will have even greater appeal to their target group.

Think fashion, music, beer, cars. Anything that people buy not for the function, but for symbols of personal expression.
05-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Not pointless. That is my opinion. You don't need to agree.

Irrelevant? The discussion is on latest Pentax designs. K-01 is recent, and thus relevant.

Yes companies will design products that are limited in appeal to a group because they know it will have even greater appeal to their target group.

Think fashion, music, beer, cars. Anything that people buy not for the function, but for symbols of personal expression.
My opinion is this:

Pentax wanted a 'cool' design for a camera. so they contracted out the job to a designed who has designed a few cool things before. I bet when he unveilied his design to them, they thought "Hmmmmmm, not sure about this, but hey, this guy is cool so it must be cool"

Whoops.

Anyway history is littered with ugly cameras, the K-01 asn't the first and it won't be the last
05-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote

Anyway history is littered with ugly cameras, the K-01 asn't the first and it won't be the last
The K-01 isn't even the first ugly Pentax by any stretch

Argus bricks are pretty damn ugly as well but many people seem to love em (I'm mixed on it)
05-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe I need to miove to a cool Forum. I like my K-01 - the way it looks and the way it works.

Then again, I drive a Subaru Outback.