Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Yep, looks like every other dslr on the market. Way to go Pentax! You saw what happened when you tried to not make the exact same camera everyone else made.

05-24-2012, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
And where did I say that everyone must be of the same opinion? Unless I'm missing something, you didn't start your post with "In my humble opinion" either.
I wrote
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
I don't see this as a design comeback at all.
not "This is not a design comeback"
Do you see a difference here, the first is a statement of opinion the second is a statement of fact.

In fact if you had not included "comeback" in the thread title I doubt I would have posted here.

You do this kind of thing often for example
The thing is that the K-01 could have appealed to more people by avoiding a few mistakes. I like many aspects about the K-01 but hate the few mistakes that were made. It appeared, however, that Pentax did not care about those mistakes.
The fact that you don't like it does not make it a mistake!
I doubt Pentax thinks there are mistakes in the design. Do you suppose they sit around HQ and say well this is a turd camera with known mistakes but perhaps some fool will buy it, lets roll the dice and see what happens.

Had you said for example, "Perhaps the K-01 may have appealed to more people if it was designed differently. I like many aspects about the K-01 but also hate a few." I'd have no problem with that statement. Again your not liking it does not make it a mistake.

What crystal ball could have told me that Pentax wouldn't try the K-01 recipe for a DSLR as well?
Common sense?

Possibly its not your ideas so much as the way you frame them that I have a problem with. Anyway take it as you will. I believe you could be a much more effective communicator then you currently are and I expect the same could be said for me.
05-24-2012, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

I wrote

not "This is not a design comeback"
Do you see a difference here, the first is a statement of opinion the second is a statement of fact.
It will be a sad day when people are required to to state that what they say are their opinions, especially in something so subjective like this.

Politeness, on the other hand, is a perfectly reasonable expectation on both ends.

Last edited by Eruditass; 05-24-2012 at 01:12 PM.
05-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
It will be a sad day when people are required to to state that what they say are their opinions, especially in something so subjective like this.
Well I could say; "I disagree with you" or I could say "You are wrong". In my world there is quite a difference between these statements.

05-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Well I could say; "I disagree with you" or I could say "You are wrong". In my world there is quite a difference between these statements.
Yes, my politeness expectation was meant for those kinds of statements and I agree entirely.
05-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Maybe I need to miove to a cool Forum. I like my K-01 - the way it looks and the way it works.

Then again, I drive a Subaru Outback.
lol FWIW I bought my K-01 yesterday and I drive a Subaru Impreza.
05-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
If Lady Gaga gets a K-01 for herself, then Pentax has got its "niche" market really pinned down I think
Considering her gosh awful taste in clothes I don't know that I'd find that idea too reassuring let alone inspiring, lol.

05-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe I need to miove to a cool Forum. I like my K-01 - the way it looks and the way it works.

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Heh. Glad you got the inside joke (Geeky car; Geeky camera). Sometimes I wonder if we've all lost our sense of humor
05-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Ugliest Pentax ever?

I vote for the PZ-1p

A homely blob of a camera. Cheap plastic body. Cheap switches.

Back on topic, The K-30 needs to come in a carbon fibre print skin. With alloy accents.
05-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Yep, looks like every other dslr on the market. Way to go Pentax! You saw what happened when you tried to not make the exact same camera everyone else made.
Well, can't go too far with what internals it has, I guess. If there's a left-hand grip, pure-block style DSLR out there with a viewfinder but no viewfinder hump, or a camera with shutter buttons on all sides, I'll be damned

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Considering her gosh awful taste in clothes I don't know that I'd find that idea too reassuring let alone inspiring, lol.
I was thinking "designer camera" so she came up to mind first, I dunno why, also. =)) But well, others find her... artsy?
05-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Well, can't go too far with what internals it has, I guess. If there's a left-hand grip, pure-block style DSLR out there with a viewfinder but no viewfinder hump, or a camera with shutter buttons on all sides, I'll be damned

I was thinking "designer camera" so she came up to mind first, I dunno why, also. =)) But well, others find her... artsy?
I find her pretentious and not all that talented actually. Though I do find it amusing that she's trying to rip off Bowie and Madonna and one up her two so called "inspirations" at it were. That's poetic justice a bit since the former two basically made a career of doing just that, particularly Madonna who has a very limited range that way. Of the three though Bowie is the only one I'd consider a genuine genius. He can genuinely sing and act anyway which is more than either Gaga or Madonna can do. Gaga is basically aping 80's Madonna though and throwing some Bowie in for good measure once in a while. Even Madonna is a bit snotty about it at this point it's been so blatant. Bowie, he just laughs, and enjoys the obnoxious flattery I think.

But honestly I don't get why people are so into Gaga. I've listened to her Cd's. I've seen her on shows and on videos. I find her very over the top and less than talented and I don't mean that in a "cute" way. I never did like Madonna much either for much the same reasons. She's spent her whole career trying way too hard to be someone she's simply not. The Diva who just isn't. The supreme irony of it is that she actually made millions doing it. Madonna is absolutely proof positive that even someone sans hardly any talent at all can make it big in this world. I still don't get that one actually years later. I mean she can barely sing, can't act her way out of a paper bag, and she's a total b-i-t-c-h besides. What's to like? 'P
05-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I wrote "I don't see this as a design comeback at all." not "This is not a design comeback". Do you see a difference here, the first is a statement of opinion the second is a statement of fact.
My thread starts
"Given that I feared Pentax may has lost the plot when it comes to camera ergonomics a while ago, I am very relieved to see that the K-30's designers apparently were determined to design a camera that handles well. "
I guess the "I"'s (highlighted) make it sufficiently clear that I'm expressing a personal view. I do not think that it is necessary to include "I"s or "maybe"s, etc. in every sentence.

The fact that you don't like it does not make it a mistake!
Correct. But if something is a mistake, the fact that I don't like it does not turn it into a non-mistake. Numerous reviews have made negative remarks about aspects of the K-01. I believe this could have been avoided without seriously diminishing the appeal of the K-01 to those who really like it.

Had you said for example, "Perhaps the K-01 may have appealed to more people if it was designed differently. I like many aspects about the K-01 but also hate a few." I'd have no problem with that statement.
But I'm in no way uncertain ("Perhaps") regarding my opinion that the K-01 could have appealed to more people. That I'm just expressing my personal opinion should be clear (by default and how the thread starts).

Last edited by Class A; 05-26-2012 at 03:57 AM.
05-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think everyone on both sides of the K-01 debate has backed off the tone in the last few weeks. While we still have our opinions, we seem to be making rational points and expressing our thoughts as opinions rather than certainties. A few of us bought a K-01 (first time I've ever pre-ordered a camera; I am captivated by the design and I'm happy with the ergonomics and tolerant of the limitations) but most waited nervously - and now we have this potential Grand Slam home run K-30.

Is the K-01 a success? The thing we don't really know is what Pentax's objective was for the camera. If the objective was to stimulate a lot of notice for the brand in new circles and break even on the product line (or maybe even lose money but count that as marketing expense) then maybe it is a success.

I suspect the K-300 / K30 / K-3 / K-? 4-dSLR line is showing some back-to-Pentax true chops - compact, durable, WR, great IQ - and the Q, K-0x series and 645D are the niche different plays that generate buzz and technology development.

I'll be happy forever if that is Ricoh's plan! (Think about that last line for a moment )
05-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I don't get the hatred for the K-01 either. It's a neat looking camera. Wasn't exactly what I was looking for at the time (I wanted tiny, so I got a Q - already have a K10D) but it's a neat camera and it takes great pictures.

If I'd have gotten a K-01, it's have been in bumblebee yellow-black, btw
05-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Should I feel excluded? I drive a Toyota, but would be happy to have a K-01?