Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
That's odd. My K200D has ISO adjust on the 4-way controller - I hit the Fn button then the right arrow on 4-way to access.
I agree. There seems to be some misunderstanding over what I meant. The K100D, K110D, K10D, K20D, K200D, K-x, K-r and I believe *istD cameras had Drive Mode at the top of the 4-way controller, ISO on the right, Flash on the bottom and WB on the left. The K-7 and K-5 had a different system for ISO control, but the other three controller positions remained the same. Along came the K-01 and K-30 and all of a sudden all four postions on the controller are present, but in jumbled order. People say "Oh, there was probably a reason". Maybe there was, but I find it annoying and I would like to know why it was done.

I will write to Pentax customer service and see if I can find out.

06-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I agree. There seems to be some misunderstanding over what I meant. The K100D, K110D, K10D, K20D, K200D, K-x, K-r and I believe *istD cameras had Drive Mode at the top of the 4-way controller, ISO on the right, Flash on the bottom and WB on the left. The K-7 and K-5 had a different system for ISO control, but the other three controller positions remained the same. Along came the K-01 and K-30 and all of a sudden all four postions on the controller are present, but in jumbled order. People say "Oh, there was probably a reason". Maybe there was, but I find it annoying and I would like to know why it was done.

I will write to Pentax customer service and see if I can find out.
It is hugely annoying when they do this, particularly if you are going to use more than one body
06-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
It is hugely annoying when they do this, particularly if you are going to use more than one body
Yes it is.
06-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #94
Site Supporter

I think you are all being a little melodramatic. It is a minor inconvenience at worst: nothing compared to going from a body with two wheels to one, for instance. Button positions change all the time, not to mention menu systems, dial positions etc. Most changes are no doubt intended to be improvements.

If you want two bodies to be functionally identical, surely it is best to get two identical bodies.

06-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #95
Veteran Member

I've owned many Pentax cameras and I had no issues adjusting to the K-30's 4 way controller in the short time I handled it.
06-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter

You guys sure have no pity for those of us with less flexible brains. ;~

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If you want two bodies to be functionally identical, surely it is best to get two identical bodies.
Well, that's precisely what I've done.
06-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #97
Site Supporter

You know......swapping the buttons around every now and then..... it keeps the Alzheimers away

Come'on ppl, first there was that dude that kept announcing that K30 was not matched to a WR lens as a kit as if he'd solved a who shot JFK conspiracy.
Now its the buttons.

I'm sure we can cope after a few presses of the button

Last edited by pinholecam; 06-02-2012 at 04:13 PM.
06-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #98
Veteran Member

pinholecam, that the nature of many Pentax users... they can't help but comment and complain even before handling the damn cameras.

06-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
pinholecam, that the nature of many Pentax users... they can't help but comment and complain even before handling the damn cameras.
I don't need to handle the camera to know that they changed the long-established positions on the 4-way controller.
06-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #100
Lens Buying Addict

BFD. Have you looked at dashboards lately?

It distinguishes entry and mid-level bodies from high-end . On the lower bodiess there are certain functions in menu rather than buttons.
06-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
BFD. Have you looked at dashboards lately?

It distinguishes entry and mid-level bodies from high-end . On the lower bodiess there are certain functions in menu rather than buttons.
??? I was talking about the function layout on the 4-way controller, nothing to do with high or low level bodies.

Anyway, I'm done with this discussion. I probably won't be getting a K-30. Great camera though, amazing value.
06-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
WHY DO THEY CHANGE THE LAYOUT OF THE 4-WAY CONTROLLER? That makes me crazy. You have Shutter at the top, ISO on the right etc, FOR SO MANY YEARS, now all the positions are changed. WTF????????????
K-30 has the same 4-way button layout as K-01, which is different from previous Pentax cameras. I agree it doesn't make much sense to do this kind of change. But as some friends said above, it won't take you more than a few min to get used to the new layout, certainly wont make you crazy

--
Edit:
Actually you think about the menu layout on the back LCD screen, the new 4-way button on K-01/K30 might be more logical than the one on K5/K7:

WB setting is on the left of the screen, thus using the LEFT button
Flash setting is on the bottom of the screen, thus the DOWN button
Drive Mode (continuous shooting/timer/and etc) on the top but the selection goes left and right, thus the RIGHT button
ISO setting in the middle of the screen, but use up and down to select AUTO ISO or particular ISO setting (together w/ the rear dial), thus the UP button

Make sense?

Last edited by frank; 06-03-2012 at 02:41 AM.
06-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by doozer Quote
@Frank: Can you already say something about the Shutter Sound, especially compared to the K-r? From the videos I saw on the net it is definitely a lot louder than the K-5. In the dpreview boards during the Q&A the Pentax rep said it is somewhere between K-5 and K-r, but I'm not so sure whether it might actually be exactly the same as the K-r (which would be a real bummer for me).
They K30 we are playing is just a preproduction. the shutter might not be the final one (words from Pentax distributor). But as it is now, the shutter sound is indeed somewhere between K5 and Kr
06-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #104
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
Have you seen the following very short video? I don't know if it is a fair way to judge the K-30's shutter sound or not since there is no lens on the camera (the subject of the video is actually "continuous shooting," not shutter sound). But you might take the lens off of your own camera and click the shutter several times in order to do as much of a comparison as possible.

Rats, that is quite loud. I was hoping for something a lot quieter than my K-r.
06-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #105
Pentaxian

If you want more quiet shutter , it's call K-5 but $$$ but not now