Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't delete so I don't need a 'delete' button. I always had this fear that deleting could lead to a card failure. I also format the card after each use.

05-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #32
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with creampuff: This is an outdoor elements tool, not solely a studio camera, making weight and size more of an issue than ease of orientation shooting. It might be thought that "there's no harm in at least providing the option" but with that it means that Pentax needs to implement the technology (increased cost) as well as produce the grip (less profitability compared to a flagship camera grip).

Using the delete does no such harm to the SD card, and there is absolutely no need to format the card after each image dump. I can't imagine a camera not offering a delete function...
05-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm curious about the "Pentax Hand Strap" which photographyblog.com mentions as an optional accessory. Can any pictures be provided on this?
05-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Is the shutter as quiet as the K5? is the AF faster than the K5?

05-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
There is a video just posted on dpreview which shows the shutter noise.
05-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
It looks like the LV/Delete button is modal. In shooting mode, it engages LV. In Playback/Instant review mode, it functions as Delete.
That would mess me up since I often go from Review to LV
05-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Why do you need an extra grip when the the camera grip is pretty good to begin with. This is an entry level camera targeted at a defined price point. Making provision for a grip adds to complexity and cost as the drive and electrical connections have to be added to the bottom of the camera. An external grip adds bulk and weight and while it does offer more battery options and easier vertical shooting, it does nothing to increase fps. Just learn how to hold a camera properly when shooting vertically.
I guess because K200 did have a battery grip - and is WR too, really useful.
I guess.... K200d is a legend that we will never see again. I bought mine with $530 w/ kit lens, now I think back, really awesome value.

Lee

05-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #38
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I'd like more accurate and precise. K-5 is rather fast.
05-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I guess because K200 did have a battery grip - and is WR too, really useful.
I guess.... K200d is a legend that we will never see again. I bought mine with $530 w/ kit lens, now I think back, really awesome value.

Lee
Yep, with people calling the K-30 the spiritual or even true successor to the K200D a lot of people would be anticipating a battery grip too. But, it was probably with the K200D that they learned how uneconomical it was... maybe.
05-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Why do you need an extra grip when the the camera grip is pretty good to begin with. This is an entry level camera targeted at a defined price point. Making provision for a grip adds to complexity and cost as the drive and electrical connections have to be added to the bottom of the camera. An external grip adds bulk and weight and while it does offer more battery options and easier vertical shooting, it does nothing to increase fps. Just learn how to hold a camera properly when shooting vertically.
FPS does not matter to me, but just being able to hold the damn thing with my large hands is. With a grip on a camera it fits in my hand perfectly. Both KR and K5 too small without. Can only hold using 2 fingers which does not make for very easy grip and shoot.

Making the bodies smaller and smaller is a pain in the butt for large sized people.
05-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #41
Veteran Member

So which kit zoom lens does this camera actually come with - the DAL or the WR?
05-24-2012, 02:33 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Depends on the kit your retailers offer.
If you don't like it, just buy the body. I don't understand why anyone's choice of camera body would be determined by the lens thrown in with it.
05-24-2012, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
It depends on the dealer. Can also depend on the distributor / importer in each country. In Sweden, where I live, it is the 18-55 WR that is included in the standard basic kit. In the US, it seems like B&H is offering the K-30 with the 18-55 WR too.
05-24-2012, 04:16 AM   #44
Veteran Member

USA and Canada will be with the DA-L
05-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If you don't like it, just buy the body. I don't understand why anyone's choice of camera body would be determined by the lens thrown in with it.
Did somebody mention the choice of a camera body depending on the kit lens? But I found it confusing that in the leaked/published promo pictures some had the DAL and some the WR lens. But in my opinion it would be silly to sell this camera with the DAL lens at all. If somebody does not need the WR lens, they can buy just the body like you said. I'm afraid some people will buy the K-30 for its WR ablity only to realize the hard way that the kit zoom they bought makes the combo non-WR.