Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Looking forward to holding the K-30 tonight.
I held one in my hand last week during the PhotoExpo show, they have the pre-production version (I think), it is almost identical to the k-5 (may be lighter). The grip seems a little skinnier - the styling and color looks real good, the finish is just like new cars. I am glad that Pentax get over the "sagging shoulder" style that other cameras still carry even in their latest models. The blue and white ones look great; I probably would not go for the black one now at least not for this model.

05-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That's nice, but I'll only be interested if there's a quick and easy method for changing from hand strap to neck strap and back. Any idea on that?
Sorry I don't really know. Won't be able to see the grip until it's available on the market I guess...
05-31-2012, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just posted some comparison photos between K-30 and a K-5 on our facebook:

The outlook of their sensors definitely look a bit different:

05-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #79
Veteran Member

I think the body complement the colors really well.

my personal choices would be: the silver/black, blue/black, red/black. the gray/black and pure black looks good as well due to the form.

05-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Just posted some comparison photos between K-30 and a K-5 on our facebook:
Frank, thanks for the pictures.

Looking at the bodies from the front, it makes it clear that eliminating the upper shoulder LCD, cleared away enough space to move the exposure mode knob from the right side of the camera to the left, above the focus assist light.

I think it was a good decision. If one does evening long exposures, its fairly cheap to buy a smart shutter cable, like Yong Nuo for about $19, which will allow one to keep track of exposure times and do even more, like interval shooting.

Does anyone know if there is an access port for shutter cables, sure hope so
05-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Growden Quote
FPS does not matter to me, but just being able to hold the damn thing with my large hands is. With a grip on a camera it fits in my hand perfectly. Both KR and K5 too small without. Can only hold using 2 fingers which does not make for very easy grip and shoot.

Making the bodies smaller and smaller is a pain in the butt for large sized people.
Hear! Hear! Although I can get 3 fingers on the grip, I find it difficult to firmly grasp the K-5 (with one hand) without the battery grip when the camera has any lens larger than the 18-55mm mounted, even when shooting in horizontal mode. You'd be surprised to learn that the pinky finger and its neighbour provide the real gripping power in the human hand. The index and middle finger provide the fine motor skills. With the battery grip the whole rig feels much more securely in my grip to my big hands. End discrimination against big-handed people!

Seriously, though, making the camera very small allows you build an advanced camera with a battery grip that is almost the same size as the other manufacturers' advanced body without the grip.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 06-01-2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: error
05-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Hear! Hear! Although I can get 3 fingers on the grip, even when shooting in horizontal mode I find it difficult to firmly grasp the K-5 (with one hand) without the battery grip when the camera has any lens larger than the 18-55mm mounted. With the battery grip the whole rig feels much more securely in my grip to my big hands. End discrimination against big-handed people!

Seriously, though, making the camera very small allows you build an advanced camera with a battery grip that is almost the same size as the other manufacturers' advanced body without the grip.
LOL, look at the market Pentax is ending the discrimination against small handed people, canikon and sony serve the large handed almost exclusivly in the slr realm

05-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Looking at the bodies from the front, it makes it clear that eliminating the upper shoulder LCD, cleared away enough space to move the exposure mode knob from the right side of the camera to the left, above the focus assist light.
Compare the button positioning to the K-01 "chimney" and other button positions. There is some analogous externals; I've read many call this a dSLR with K-01 internals and K-5 additions. Maybe there's something to that.
05-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Frank, thanks for the pictures.

I think it was a good decision. If one does evening long exposures, its fairly cheap to buy a smart shutter cable, like Yong Nuo for about $19, which will allow one to keep track of exposure times and do even more, like interval shooting.

Does anyone know if there is an access port for shutter cables, sure hope so
Yes, it has a port for cable release:

05-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
WHY DO THEY CHANGE THE LAYOUT OF THE 4-WAY CONTROLLER? That makes me crazy. You have Shutter at the top, ISO on the right etc, FOR SO MANY YEARS, now all the positions are changed. WTF????????????
05-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

WHY DO THEY CHANGE THE LAYOUT OF THE 4-WAY CONTROLLER? That makes me crazy. You have Shutter at the top, ISO on the right etc, FOR SO MANY YEARS, now all the positions are changed. WTF????????????
It is the same as the K-01. Maybe they think it works better.
The K-5 doesn't have ISO controls there at all.
05-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #87
Veteran Member

My former K200D didn't even have direct ISO control (except in Sv mode through the dial), so that is still an improvement.
Also, the 4-way controller on the K200D didn't have anything printed on the buttons themselves.
05-31-2012, 11:49 PM   #88

@Frank: Can you already say something about the Shutter Sound, especially compared to the K-r? From the videos I saw on the net it is definitely a lot louder than the K-5. In the dpreview boards during the Q&A the Pentax rep said it is somewhere between K-5 and K-r, but I'm not so sure whether it might actually be exactly the same as the K-r (which would be a real bummer for me).
06-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
My former K200D didn't even have direct ISO control (except in Sv mode through the dial), so that is still an improvement.
Also, the 4-way controller on the K200D didn't have anything printed on the buttons themselves.
That's odd. My K200D has ISO adjust on the 4-way controller - I hit the Fn button then the right arrow on 4-way to access.
06-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by doozer Quote
@Frank: Can you already say something about the Shutter Sound, especially compared to the K-r? From the videos I saw on the net it is definitely a lot louder than the K-5.
Have you seen the following very short video? I don't know if it is a fair way to judge the K-30's shutter sound or not since there is no lens on the camera (the subject of the video is actually "continuous shooting," not shutter sound). But you might take the lens off of your own camera and click the shutter several times in order to do as much of a comparison as possible.