Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
If you want more quiet shutter , it's call K-5 but $$$ but not now
Well, I am not sure I would jump on a K5 if the K-30 (and presumably the K-3) have better autofocus. So I will wait.

06-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote
Well, I am not sure I would jump on a K5 if the K-30 (and presumably the K-3) have better autofocus. So I will wait.
I just recieved a K-5 and..........WOW!
06-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 is great. really quiet. but K-30 has focus peaking. it's a toss-up imo. I'll get the K30 for the looks alone.
06-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
K-5 is great. really quiet. but K-30 has focus peaking. it's a toss-up imo. I'll get the K30 for the looks alone.
When the used K-5s start regularly dropping below $700 (as one did this past week), it will be really hard to hold off until the K-3 arrives.

But you are right - focus peaking is a huge benefit for all the legacy glass owners.

06-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #110

K-5 is great. really quiet. but K-30 has focus peaking. it's a toss-up imo.
Focus peaking is what I've wanted most. I love the idea of a quiet shutter, but I will "suffer" with a louder one just to get focus peaking. Frank stated earlier in this thread that he was told the shutter sound may be improved (quieted down) in the final production model. It would be nice if that turns out to be true.

I just wish Pentax-Ricoh hadn't left focus peaking out of video mode (that's intentional and poorly conceived crippling, not just removing a feature for cost savings). I also wish they would have included 14-bit RAW instead of 12-bit RAW; however the latter two are not deal breakers for me (although I say this with reluctance).

I'll get the K30 for the looks alone.
I'm not quite that far gone (ha), but the K-30's looks sure are having a bit of an influence on me.
06-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Focus peaking sounds very cool but I'm still so enamored with my K-5s, I think it's something I'll just enjoy looking forward to for a while.
06-03-2012, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #112
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, K-30 looks nicer to me:

After playing w/ the preproduction unit for a while, I'd say I don't mind going for a K-30 between these two To me the only thing I probably would miss is the longer battery life on K-5.

06-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Is this blue K-30 the crystal surface?

I think it looks very good, but maybe too close to resembling the newer compact superzooms. Or inversely, the superzooms are being made to look too closely like entry and mid DSLRs. Something to be said about the K-01, it's totally unique... as is the GXR..

06-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frank, thanks for the pics and all the info!

Do you have any comments on the autofocus accuracy? Is it much improved over the K5? Have you been able to tell how much difference there is in dynamic range between the two?

I really want the K-30 but am beginning to wonder if I should just get the K-5 instead. So any additional info from someone who has actually used both is helpful. It's good to know you like the camera! I would prefer the lighter weight of the K-30 if there's really not a whole lot of difference in IQ.

Thanks again!
06-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
I just wish Pentax-Ricoh hadn't left focus peaking out of video mode (that's intentional and poorly conceived crippling, not just removing a feature for cost savings). I also wish they would have included 14-bit RAW instead of 12-bit RAW; however the latter two are not deal breakers for me (although I say this with reluctance).
Yeah, that seems silly, if the sensor is capable of 14 bits but it's just the firmware filtering it down to 12 bits.
Cheaper Canon cameras such as the T3, T2i and T3i are all 14 bits.
Canon U.S.A. : EOS Image Quality

Edit: oh, and Magic lantern does focus peak on it already. Though I have not tried that feature yet on my T3i. Guess it's time.
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/UserGuide#focus-peaking

Last edited by madbrain; 06-05-2012 at 06:08 PM.
06-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #116

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Yeah, that seems silly, if the sensor is capable of 14 bits but it's just the firmware filtering it down to 12 bits.
I figured that 14 bits vs. 12 bits is merely a function of the firmware, but I didn't want to say it because I would have been guessing.

Cheaper Canon cameras such as the T3, T2i and T3i are all 14 bits.
I didn't realize those Canon cameras are all 14 bits, too. It is very frustrating to hear this. Pentax surely knows it too, yet it doesn't bother them in the least to limit their new, upper-mid-range K-30 (as well as the K-01) to only 12 bits (the K-30 is "upper-mid-range" by my personal standards). They act as if those two extra bits are made of gold.

Edit: oh, and Magic lantern does focus peak on it already
This supports my point that focus peaking is becoming (or has become) ubiquitous; therefore, there is no reason to treat it as if it is a premium feature that cannot be added to the K-5 via a firmware update and to the K-30's video capabilities. If it is becoming such a common feature in the camera industry as a whole then it is not something so highly valued that people will abandon their expensive K-5s solely in order to get focus peaking in a newer Pentax model. I'm sure they will need (and will get) far more substantial reasons than just focus peaking to replace their K-5s with new K-3s or with new K-30s.

Last edited by Welfl; 06-05-2012 at 07:58 PM.
06-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #117
Veteran Member

This supports my point that focus peaking is becoming (or has become) ubiquitous; therefore, there is no reason to treat it as if it is a premium feature that cannot be added to the K-5 via a firmware update and to the K-30's video capabilities. If it is becoming such a common feature in the camera industry as a whole then it is not something so highly valued that people will abandon their expensive K-5s solely in order to get focus peaking in a newer Pentax model. I'm sure they will need (and will get) far more substantial reasons than just focus peaking to replace their K-5s with new K-3s or with new K-30s.
Presumably the focus peaking is computationally intensive. Depending on the hardware, the camera might be able to do focus peaking for single exposures, but not video.
06-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #118

Presumably the focus peaking is computationally intensive. Depending on the hardware, the camera might be able to do focus peaking for single exposures, but not video.
I wasn't referring to video focus peaking in the K-5 (if that's what you are referring to), only in the K-30.

I know this will sound a bit contradictory, but if I were to buy a K-5, I would buy it mostly for still images, not for video, since its video is a bit more limited in certain ways than the K-30's video (the K-5 has only one shooting speed and size; its focusing is -- from what I've read -- a bit more limited in some way that I don't quite understand, and it is AVI only). But the quality of its videos is still absolutely outstanding. If I were to buy the K-30, I would expect excellent video quality and multiple video options as a compensation for the supposedly ever so slightly lower-than-the-K-5 still-image quality.

If I sound confused and conflicted, it's probably because I am. Spending this much money on a product that can rest in the palm of my hand is not something I am able to do with nonchalance (for lack of a better word). Once I buy it, it will probably the the only DSLR I will ever own; therefore, I do not want to have to live with one frustrating limitation or another for many years to come, if I don't have to.

Why does there always have to be a catch, no matter which product one chooses? It's as if corporations intentionally hire sadists to work in their "Product Features and Limitations" departments. Ha???

Last edited by Welfl; 06-05-2012 at 10:07 PM.
06-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Frank, thanks for the pics and all the info!

Do you have any comments on the autofocus accuracy? Is it much improved over the K5? Have you been able to tell how much difference there is in dynamic range between the two?

I really want the K-30 but am beginning to wonder if I should just get the K-5 instead. So any additional info from someone who has actually used both is helpful. It's good to know you like the camera! I would prefer the lighter weight of the K-30 if there's really not a whole lot of difference in IQ.

Thanks again!
AF is fast and accurate so far, at least as fast (if not a bit faster) as K5, under low light AF with K-30 is even more decisive. I can't comment on IQ yet, but the photos I took with the new camera are very good. Since it's still a preproduction unit, I can't post detailed comparison or comments on IQ or performance, yet.

As I said earlier, I don't mind getting either one between K-5 and K-30. The only thing I like better on K-5 over K-30 is the battery, and maybe the slightly better built quality.
06-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #120
Veteran Member

I wasn't referring to video focus peaking in the K-5 (if that's what you are referring to), only in the K-30.

I know this will sound a bit contradictory, but if I were to buy a K-5, I would buy it mostly for still images, not for video, since its video is a bit more limited in certain ways than the K-30's video (only one shooting speed and size; focusing is -- from what I've read -- a bit more limited in some way that I don't quite understand, and it is AVI only). But the quality of its videos is still absolutely outstanding. If I were to buy the K-30, I would expect excellent video quality and multiple options as a compensation for the supposedly ever so slightly lower-than-the-K-5 still-image quality.
I have to say that videos on the K-r are notably inferior to those from the T3i. It is 720p vs 1080p for one thing. But the exposure control really makes a lot of difference. The fixed frame rate on the K-r is a problem too. The sound is also better on the T3i. I am not sure about video quality on the K-5.

Focus peaking for stills can probably be added to any camera. But it might take a while before the peaking appears on the screen. Ie. the speed might not be satisfactory. That could be a reason why Pentax may not implement it on the K-5.

Another thing of course is just business - Pentax won't make any more money by improving the K-5 now. They are probably just liquidating all their K-5 stock now, if they haven't already done so.

It's not common that businesses make functional improvements to products after their releases if there is no additional revenue stream. Eg. some subscription for new features in firmware upgrades for example. I don't know how many camera owners would pay for that.

If Pentax doesn't want to make that kind of investment, then perhaps they should open the platform a little to allow something like Magic lantern to be developed.

QuoteQuote:
If I sound confused and conflicted, it's probably because I am.
For me the decision is very clear - K-5 doesn't do AA batteries without grip - hence no K-5 for me. Really as simple as that.