Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It is not only the Nikon name, but the lack of the Pentax name. I have to drive about 20 miles to find a shop with a Pentax SLR, and even they only have one model.

I know the small pain of being a Pentax user. I was involved with an event where people shared lenses, eg. Nikon and Canon mounts. I had to get a Nikon->Pentax adapter to join the fun.

05-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
It is not only the Nikon name, but the lack of the Pentax name. I have to drive about 20 miles to find a shop with a Pentax SLR, and even they only have one model.
Well, in other countries situation with Pentax isn't such bad (you find Pentax DSLRs everywhere where DSLRS are sold), however people still prefer Canikon only because it's name
05-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I did a lot event photography.
everytime people ask this are you shooting canon or nikon
does it feel like if you go into DSLR, you have to go either canon or nikon........
05-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
Not according to DxO it doesn't:

24Mp Score - 81 (Overall) - 24.1bits (Colour Depth) - 13.4ev (Dynamic Range)

16Mp Score - 77 (Overall) - 23.6bits (Colour Depth) - 12.7ev (Dynamic Range)

Shows the 24Mp gets a better overall, colour depth and dynamic range score, and only marginally loses in ISO ability. So resolution, colour, and dynamic range are all better on the 24Mp compared to 16Mp sensors. Having said all that the differences in this case would be very hard to notice on images.
Isn't the relevant 16Mp censor the one in the K5? Score - 82 (Overall) - 23.7bits (Colour Depth) - 14.1 ev (Dynamic Range) ? Or have I missed something?

05-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #35
Veteran Member

@impartial: the k-01 and k-30 output 12-bit raw vs the k5's 14-bit raw. Thus the loss in dr.

Its funny. I've been told at least a dozen times (some by professional shooters) that they never realized pentax made digital cameras. I facepalm almost everytime.
05-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I personally want the k30 but I think in the general public's mind the d3200 is better simply they see 24MP and immediately their brains go more is better. History has shown this with the Canon Dslr's I'd take a Kx over a T2i any day of the week. I'd also take my Km over the XS but in the minds of uneducated camera users the Canon XS is better.
05-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
I personally want the k30 but I think in the general public's mind the d3200 is better simply they see 24MP and immediately their brains go more is better. History has shown this with the Canon Dslr's I'd take a Kx over a T2i any day of the week. I'd also take my Km over the XS but in the minds of uneducated camera users the Canon XS is better.
The problem is that no sane first-time DSLR buyer would buy into the Pentax system at the moment, awesome though the K30 is. The ridiculous pricing of the DA 50 (about 3x the equivalent Canikon lenses, at least here in the UK) is just the latest example (see also: Canon 70-200 f4 L $709 US, Pentax 60-250 f4 $1999.95 US). Of course it's fine for existing Pentaxians: we can just bide our time with the great lenses we already have, and wait for the prices to come back down again (just as we did when Hoya went through their comedy price phase). But when any new user compares DSLR systems they could buy into, Pentax are going to fail for as long as this phase lasts.
05-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
The problem is that no sane first-time DSLR buyer would buy into the Pentax system at the moment, awesome though the K30 is. The ridiculous pricing of the DA 50 (about 3x the equivalent Canikon lenses, at least here in the UK) is just the latest example (see also: Canon 70-200 f4 L $709 US, Pentax 60-250 f4 $1999.95 US). Of course it's fine for existing Pentaxians: we can just bide our time with the great lenses we already have, and wait for the prices to come back down again (just as we did when Hoya went through their comedy price phase). But when any new user compares DSLR systems they could buy into, Pentax are going to fail for as long as this phase lasts.
Perhaps your right but in my experience most beginner dslr users that aren't hobbists are not going to be purchasing DA*
Lenses or Canon L series lenses most only purchase budget zoom lenses if that. Atleast that is what I am noticing amoung the recent trends. Secondly they really don't look at lens prices for additional lenses unless it is a package deal like the da 55-300 or 50-200. and the equivalent canon ef budget zoom. I have three relatives that have purchased dslrs in the last year and none of them have purchased an additional lens only the kit lens amoung my buddies only 1 has gotten additional lens and has rented a L series. My buddy with a Nikon has only gotten a budget tamron.

you maybe right but all i'm trying to say is that in my experience the price of lenses has less to do with the initial purchase of brand. It has more to 'do with false information that the public has about more MP and brand saturation. Thus why I think even though the k30 is better then the D3200 it will not sell as much. Even the k5 with all the great reviews didn't out sell the nikon equivalent.or match it

05-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I think the D3200 is awesome, as long as it is fitted with great lenses and shot no higher than ISO1600. although it's sad that such sensor is fitted in a crippled body and features. it maybe great for video though.
05-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Impartial Quote
Isn't the relevant 16Mp censor the one in the K5? Score - 82 (Overall) - 23.7bits (Colour Depth) - 14.1 ev (Dynamic Range) ? Or have I missed something?

It's not relevant unless you can compare the K-5 16Mp to a Pentax K-3's 24Mp IMO. I used the Nex5n and Nex7 which gives a fairer comparison between the two sensors. We don't have anyone except Sony using the 24Mp sensor as yet.

We know how much improvement the K-5 has over the Nex5n, so we can extrapolate that and assume Pentax using a 24Mp sensor will see a similar increase over the Nex7. (as Sony themselves have)

i.e A Pentax K-3 24Mp should show something like:
Score 83 (Overall) - 24.2bits (Colour Depth) - 14.8 ev (Dynamic Range)

Of course this assumes a linear relationship, and I doubt that it will be exact, but it's still a good indication that the 24Mp will perform better than the 16Mp. (possibly not with ISO)
05-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #41
Pentaxian

The problem is that no sane first-time DSLR buyer would buy into the Pentax system at the moment, awesome though the K30 is.
Is it truly insane to chose an awesome camera instead of some cheap junk?
By the way, the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 was announced for $219.95/199/€229 - true, including a lens hood and with a metal mount.

Last edited by Kunzite; 05-29-2012 at 01:20 AM.
05-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Pentax has always been the logical mans camera/brand.
Better features and quality for the money.
Canikon, esp at entry levels are the layman's brand of choice either by not very meaningful specs (eg. MP; more "zoom" (layman's term for focal length range); and perhaps more recently high ISO numbers), or brand positioning.

The D3200 continues this line of thinking.
Check all the "more is better" check boxes for the layman + the Nikon brand, and the layman will form a beeline for it.

Those who do their research and a bit more reading eventually finds Pentax.
05-29-2012, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #43
Forum Member

I understand the point you are making and yes the prices of new lenses are a bit silly. However, being a first time DSLR buyer, I am planning to pick up the K-30. Several reasons for this. The camera is simply superior to the competition at this time. Also, I believe in Pentax. I feel like they are making quality product at a good price. Additionally, while new lenses are expensive, with a Pentax, I don't have to buy new lenses to get good glass. Thanks to their philosophy of keeping old glass relevant, I can come on the market place here or head over to ebay and get a great deal on usable lenses until the new lens prices come down. People vested in the system can hold out for better prices and newbies can as well.
05-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Pentax has always been the logical mans camera/brand.
Better features and quality for the money.
Canikon, esp at entry levels are the layman's brand of choice either by not very meaningful specs (eg. MP; more "zoom" (layman's term for focal length range); and perhaps more recently high ISO numbers), or brand positioning.

The D3200 continues this line of thinking.
Check all the "more is better" check boxes for the layman + the Nikon brand, and the layman will form a beeline for it.

Those who do their research and a bit more reading eventually finds Pentax.
I agree that most ill-informed new comers would jump on "oh, more megapixels, must be good eh?" or "oh, 20x zoom is good and probably worth more money if I sell it later". They are typically not going to be interested a full feature Pentax model anyway.... would they buy more lenses? not really.

However, if someone put the T3i and colored k-30 side-by-side in the store... I don't know (the blue or white k-30 is tempting)....
06-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #45
xat
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Navmaxlp Quote
I understand the point you are making and yes the prices of new lenses are a bit silly. However, being a first time DSLR buyer, I am planning to pick up the K-30. Several reasons for this. The camera is simply superior to the competition at this time. Also, I believe in Pentax. I feel like they are making quality product at a good price. Additionally, while new lenses are expensive, with a Pentax, I don't have to buy new lenses to get good glass. Thanks to their philosophy of keeping old glass relevant, I can come on the market place here or head over to ebay and get a great deal on usable lenses until the new lens prices come down. People vested in the system can hold out for better prices and newbies can as well.
Absolutely agree. I might be insane, but I've been searching through all brands and looking for some decent camera. When you're not proffesional and don't intend to spend thousands on your equipment, Canon is out of the game. Their entry level bodies and glass doesn't impress me at all. Nikon is trying, but even d5100 still looks like compromise and crippled body. Then I took a look at Sony..... I like their new a57, but somehow I think SLT is not exactly what I'm looking for..... all entry level/mid-range cameras seem to be really "poor" compared to new K-30. Of course, we need to get some real life reviews etc to praise this camera, but so far it seems like the best option out there. Some might argue that new lenses are expensive etc, but as for me, I might be fine just with 18-135 wr at least for awhile. Later on, I'd add some prime and zoom lens, but that's it. If you're not professional and dont need some special lenses, I don't see why to pick up nikon or canon cameras that have much worse specs.