Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 340
More details about the interchangeable focusing screens

Is this any different than the K5? If so, what focusing screen options are available?

Peak focusing has my attention, but I want to know if there's anything different re the focusing screen.

05-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote
More details about the interchangeable focusing screens
I would think that by Pentax specifically mentioning "interchangeable" means that the focus screen can be changed "on the fly" without much effort - if this is the case that would be a pretty cool and unique feature... (just my thoughts, I could be totally wrong though)
05-23-2012, 02:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Var, South of France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,071
Well, they did mention a MF-60 factory screen for the K30, and that's the K5/K7 screen, so any screen made for K5/K7 should work just fine...

Just for information, all Pentax bodies from (at least) the ZX/MZ film line do feature interchangeable focus screens... And I'm pretty sure that earlier bodies also sport them.
05-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 359
Even cameras like the kx have interchangeable screens, despite the literature saying otherwise. Granted, it was harder to swap in my kx than my k5, but only marginally.

Some good instructions here. http://www.focusingscreen.com/shipping.php?osCsid=d1defd1f354a643bbc2ab5310ff2de61

05-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
There is nothing new about a Pentax camera being advertised as having interchangeable focus screens - it was true of the original *istD, the DS, DS2, K10D, K20D, K-7, and K-5. It just means if you want to buy one of the screens Pentax sells that has different lines etched in it than the defaults, or something like the Katzeye or other brand of split prism focus screen, you can do so more easily than you can with the cameras not advertised that way.
05-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 340
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There is nothing new about a Pentax camera being advertised as having interchangeable focus screens - it was true of the original *istD, the DS, DS2, K10D, K20D, K-7, and K-5. It just means if you want to buy one of the screens Pentax sells that has different lines etched in it than the defaults, or something like the Katzeye or other brand of split prism focus screen, you can do so more easily than you can with the cameras not advertised that way.
Thanks for the info. I was hoping the mention here meant the K-30 was going to be like the old (film) LX, where you could choose among 9 different focusing screens when you bought the camera.
05-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote
Thanks for the info. I was hoping the mention here meant the K-30 was going to be like the old (film) LX, where you could choose among 9 different focusing screens when you bought the camera.
that would be nice, but i think we will be stuck with the 3 they offer plus anything the aftermarket offers. I think they don't offer all the split prism type aids because they interfere with metering (supposedly - i've never done a serious test with mine)

LX was also a different kettle of fish with all the different VF types available

I'm still hoping the FF when (If) it comes will be an LX type design (with the same OTF or in this case OTS metering for long exposures that would be brilliant)
05-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
BTW Basset later LX showed 12 screens available the list is below

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/pentaxlx/screens/index.htm

05-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 340
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that would be nice, but i think we will be stuck with the 3 they offer plus anything the aftermarket offers. I think they don't offer all the split prism type aids because they interfere with metering (supposedly - i've never done a serious test with mine)

LX was also a different kettle of fish with all the different VF types available

I'm still hoping the FF when (If) it comes will be an LX type design (with the same OTF or in this case OTS metering for long exposures that would be brilliant)
It would be so great if Pentax offered a split prism screen, so you don't have to go aftermarket and guess whether the view will be dimmer or not.
05-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote
It would be so great if Pentax offered a split prism screen, so you don't have to go aftermarket and guess whether the view will be dimmer or not.
Agreed but I'm sure they don't due to the issue with spot metering. their solution is the pure matte screen (which i thought about trying since it is supposedly designed for fast lenses) but i like having an aid (the canon ees screen will not be dimmer btw)
05-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Var, South of France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,071
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Agreed but I'm sure they don't due to the issue with spot metering. their solution is the pure matte screen (which i thought about trying since it is supposedly designed for fast lenses) but i like having an aid (the canon ees screen will not be dimmer btw)
I've tried this blank Pentax screen before trying the EE-S (I'm maybe the only Pentaxian that ever bought this screen, judging by the lack of info concerning it), and it's not designed for fast lenses... It's the same screen as the marked ones, but without the markings (so it does not "see" above f/2).
05-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
I've tried this blank Pentax screen before trying the EE-S (I'm maybe the only Pentaxian that ever bought this screen, judging by the lack of info concerning it), and it's not designed for fast lenses... It's the same screen as the marked ones, but without the markings (so it does not "see" above f/2).
that is what i figured myself, it would be nice if there was a fast screen with a prism ring and blank center large enough to not interfere with spot metering, the microprism ring is very useful for focus, the split Meh i could live without it
05-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 453
Yeah, the matte screens not great, especially with fast lenses and small dof. Shooting performances with a my k-7 and my trusty a50 1.7 is really hit or miss. The only thing the focus wants to confirm lock on is the microphone even when I set the center point far away from it, it just unfortunately happens to be the only object with contrast, that leaves visual confirmation and a dof of mere inches. Fun stuff. In these situations I would kill for a split prism, but really 90% of the time I'm at hyperfocal with f8-f11 light permitting. I can't justify putting one in when it isn't necessary most of the time, and a real distraction generally. Focus lock works pretty good in good light. On the canon 5d mark ii at work it confirms lock at about 0 EV with no issues. I wish the k-7 was that sensitive. I. Hear the k-5 is a. Lot better, and low light has really been my only challenge so far. I'm starting to prefer mf in those situations because otherwise I would be constantly locking on all the wrong things. Actually I'm starting to prefer mf for everything except kids.....lol....
05-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
I took out both focusing screens from the K30 and my K5 yesterday, they are exactly the same. The K-x/K-r focusing screen is a little bit harder to take out or put back in, but taking out K30 screen is as easy to do w/ K5 screen.
06-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #15
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 34
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I took out both focusing screens from the K30 and my K5 yesterday, they are exactly the same. The K-x/K-r focusing screen is a little bit harder to take out or put back in, but taking out K30 screen is as easy to do w/ K5 screen.
That is good news, because then we do not need to wait for the focusingscreen.com to make a dedicated screen for K-30, but the screen for the K-5 can be ordered. Are you 100% sure that they look the same?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-30, k-50, pentax k30, pentax k50, screen
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
does the K5 support interchangeable focus screens nirVaan Pentax K-5 16 12-10-2012 03:08 PM
Different Focusing screens for K-X idkjai Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 7 11-13-2010 11:18 PM
Are the Focusing Screens for the Km, Kx, and Kr all the same? Winnie Pentax K-r 4 10-25-2010 08:38 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax Brand Focusing Screens and Katz Eye Focusing Screen K10D/K20D (Worldwid superbass Sold Items 8 03-26-2010 01:42 PM
K10D interchangeable focusing screens and warranty question. pentaxbling Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 11-20-2007 02:04 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top