Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It always looked like the camera was being hit by a spray from a hose to me.
It never even occurred to me that it could be seen as immersion.

05-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
realized the orientation was off.
Except it's not, from what I can tell. The camera is being sprayed from the side with a jet of water, such as from a hose. Or if it is off, it's 180 off, and the camera was dropped upside down through a horizontal spray, but I don't think that's the case, as it looks like in the black the camera is mounted to something.

Anyway, I'm with Adam. You submerge your camera, you get what's coming. Weather RESISTANT does not even remotely imply "submerge under water."

Last edited by pezmaker; 05-23-2012 at 05:42 PM.
05-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Besides, now that a few people here are saying "I saw it as a splash from the first time", how many people are going to actually say they saw it like I did?
I join the "splash from 1st second" camp.

While I easily imagine how an image can be misinterpreted on first glance, I heavily disagree with the title you gave the thread and you being insisting there may be a problem. IMHO, there is none.

If anything, people will have a second look which is all the image tries to achieve anyway ...

IMHO, this thread should close before more first time visitors are confused to think there may be a problem.
05-23-2012, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
I'm not sure I want to know but I do want to know. Chocolate milk?
I am at the puter, K7 is to my left on top of the desk. My daughter comes up on my left, holding a jug of chocolate milk and decides to pop it open,a huge splash, stuff is every where, mainly on the K7. She was very upset so I demonstrated how to clean a Pentax camera in the sink, under a gentle shower from the "hand-unit".
It made her feel little better of the incident.

05-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If anyone is stupid enough to dunk their camera, I think they'd deserve that it breaks hehe
I whole-heartedly AGREE! I don't care how many seals there are....common sense has to factor in at some level....
05-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I am at the puter, K7 is to my left on top of the desk. My daughter comes up on my left, holding a jug of chocolate milk and decides to pop it open,a huge splash, stuff is every where, mainly on the K7. She was very upset so I demonstrated how to clean a Pentax camera in the sink, under a gentle shower from the "hand-unit".
Ahh, thanks.

And ANOTHER demonstration of how good Pentax weather resistance can be.
05-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Glad to learn that the "first problem" with the K-30 is a non-issue.
The lower part of the camera looks nothing like submerged. I had to try hard to interpret the image the wrong way.

And yes, this thread should be closed and forgotten.

05-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #23
Veteran Member

OP... see properly first before posting...
05-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Pentax makes a good camera and you are a good father.
05-23-2012, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And I really don't understand the Pentaxian community. We're so accustomed to being disappointed that when Pentax really brings us a home run we have to make things up to worry about.
05-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, looks like it was held sideways under a faucet to me.
05-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I just have to say this...it looks like a commercial advertisment photo to me =p and as such, bears no resemblance to the actual performance of the product.
05-23-2012, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

I saw a drop into water when I first saw the image after it was released. It took a while to see the water gushing from the side. Seriously, they must have had quite a hose and good water pressure for that. More likely it was actually like the vertical fixed photo...
05-23-2012, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Just because an ad makes it look like a product can handle some abuse doesn't mean that you should run out and abuse said product to find out how much abuse it can take. I mean it's simple common sense not to go there. I mean who in their right mind would really take an $900 camera and throw it into a pool or a shower just to make a point? That being said there are people here who have done just that with the K-5 and who amazingly still have working cameras. I personally shudder when people talk about taking their K-5's into a shower to wash off. A little rain, that's one thing. But a full on shower? That just blows my mind that their K-5 would even need to go there in the first place. If the K30 has that type of weather proofing I'll be impressed, but I still won't be dunking mine if I can help it, thank you.
05-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #30
Site Supporter

I figured it was being splashed in Australia, where toilets whirl in the other direction and gravity pulls things sideways.