Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
Pentaxian

DPReview Video Online

DPReview have made their K-30 video online.

Pentax K-30 Preview by dpreview.com - YouTube

Nothing new but you can see the camera in comparison to hands, etc. And you can hear the shutter.

Last edited by Class A; 05-24-2012 at 06:09 AM.
05-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice little thing !
05-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I think this video is much more informative.

and gives you that "this is why i love pentax" feeling
05-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZizZ^ Quote
I think this video is much more informative.
Thanks for posting. I just found it myself and intended to add a pointer to this thread.

Very well-made video. My only suggestion for improvement would be to quickly demonstrate "Hyper-Mode". The term on its own, won't say anything to non-Pentax users.

05-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Thanks for posting. I just found it myself and intended to add a pointer to this thread.

Very well-made video. My only suggestion for improvement would be to quickly demonstrate "Hyper-Mode". The term on its own, won't say anything to non-Pentax users.
From the team who made the video, thanks for the compliment and thanks for the feedback. We actually don't get to touch any of Pentax camera when we are making the demo, so we don't always know how the features work exactly. Unfortunately, we are often working on the tour before the camera is even available in the US.

However, we are going to talk to Pentax and ask if we can modify the tour to better demonstrate the Hyper-Mode better. Although our client's goal is to sell cameras, our personal goal is to create product demonstrations that let consumers shop educated - picking the right product for their needs.

Again, thanks for the feedback!
05-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TourAnything Quote
From the team who made the video, thanks for the compliment and thanks for the feedback.
Hi team!

Your K-30 video is indeed superbly made.
When I first saw it, I was confused because I assumed it had been made by Pentax. Previous Pentax marketing videos, however, had more "charm" than "wow" factor. There is a legendary one where two Pentax employees sit in what appears to be a broom cupboard and try their best to sell a camera. Two very sweet and likeable people, but the way they weren't up to the job (one constantly read from cue cards) was rather embarrassing.

If you are looking for further feedback:

The "light source sensor" in the AF system just determines the colour temperature of the light source in an attempt to provide compensation data to the AF module which would otherwise front-focus with "warm" (low colour temperature) light sources. The animation that appears to be suggesting that the camera is trying to find the location of a light source is hence a bit misleading.

One statement regarding the "optimal balance between image resolution and quality" is also a bit misleading since it is -- contrary to common belief -- not true that higher resolutions are detrimental to image quality (see the 36MP Nikon D800 leading the DxOMark table). In a higher resolution sensor the individual pixels become noisier but since there are more of them, they average out to the same image noise.

However, the above is just nitpicking, and I'm still officially impressed by the very nicely done K-30 video. It makes me want to buy the camera and I'd do it if I weren't after the next Pentax flagship (to be released).
05-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
BTW, I hope you'll receive a response from Pentax, regarding the Hyper-Manual mode. If not, just ask here! There will be many eager to tell you what the information in the manual means in practical terms.

My older K100D does not support Hyper-Mode but what I hear from those who used it on newer Pentax DSLRs is that they love it and that it is a reason to switch to Pentax cameras. It is a way of combining Av & Tv in one mode, allowing you to flexibly jump between Av & Tv. More details on request.
05-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Thanks again!

We will definitely be asking Pentax to let us adjust some of the visuals to be more accurate. It's always good to know when we animate something not quite right. After all, we are just artists here.

05-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Very good wee video that, really bangs home the selling points of the camera. Makes me wonder why Pentax bother doing promo videos themselves!
05-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Would be nice if this site had a link to the video on the news page? And perhaps the favour could be returned with a link to this forum from the video itself?