Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I'd go for a silky one. I'm not too fond of so much bling-bling. Silky just looks more stylish to me. I'd probably pick a different color though.

06-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
I've been keeping an eye on Amazon Japan's pricing. The K-30 was initially announced at ¥79,800 (US$1 014.75 at this moment), body only, but while the other major electronics retailers have kept that price steady, Amazon has already dropped it to ¥71,820 (US$913.28). That's before piling on postage & handling fees, import taxes and whatnot.

Regarding P&H fees, there's this to consider:

USPS To Ban International Shipping On Lithium Ion Powered Gadgetry - Slashdot

So if we assume that the USPS won't accept incoming lithium ion batteries (and I'm not certain about that), you'll have to go via private courier. Substantially more expensive.

Yeah, quite a premium for access to the Japanese colour range.

I'm tossing up between blue and silver. Both matte- *ahem* sorry, silky.
06-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam G Quote
Regarding P&H fees, there's this to consider:

USPS To Ban International Shipping On Lithium Ion Powered Gadgetry - Slashdot

So if we assume that the USPS won't accept incoming lithium ion batteries (and I'm not certain about that), you'll have to go via private courier. Substantially more expensive.

Yeah, quite a premium for access to the Japanese colour range.
The linked page says (emphasis added):

QuoteQuote:
sl4shd0rk writes "Apparently the USPS is enacting a ban on the international shipment of all devices containing Lithium Ion batteries. The ban is expected to lift in January of 2013. It seems like this would drive more business away from the already floundering USPS financial situation. The article focuses on the shipment of items out of the U.S., but doesn't mention whether the same ban will apply to purchasing these items on eBay from overseas sources."
It also deals with air freight, so slow-boats from Shanghai won't be affected.

I still want a maple sunburst camera, like a guitar.
06-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #34
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
I'd go for a silky one. I'm not too fond of so much bling-bling. Silky just looks more stylish to me. I'd probably pick a different color though.
Agreed. Color doesn't have THAT significant of an influence with me. However, I think all colors of silky style appear much more 'professional.'

If there wasn't such a premium.. I'd opt for a Silky Black or Grey K30. Wonder why Pentax opted to give Japan all the crazy colors and no love for US side.. if they really want to open the market.. why not give more options.. even if it is at a slight pricing premium. (more for silky colors for instance) hmmmmm

I'll probably get a US model Crystal Black instead though... just because of the price (and warranty)... provided I stick with Pentax.

06-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Think about it though. Which cars always look really bad to you after a while? I mean how many blue cars from earlier eras don't stick out like a sore thumb as compared to say a standard black or gray model of the exact same car? Certain colored cars are actually not as easy to sell from what I hear. Right now yellow and black is actually pretty popular but I'm betting that when the craze is over a lot of people are going to be very sorry they went bumble bee, particularly when they finally go to sell...
My girlfriend's mother used to have a PT Cruiser in a similar yellow to the Pentax K-01. We always referred to the car as the "Pee Pee Cruiser".
06-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I assumed black will come in Silky here in the U.S. (Silky is the "matte" version, right?) All the pics I've seen look matte. Can't tell about the blue, though.
06-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
After all 90% or more of all DSLRs are black, it's boring already, why are people so conservative?!
Because we conservatives are afraid of reflected light scattered around here and there possibly adding more ambient light, oh yes and our minds are suffered brain lock disease too.

06-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #38

A blue silky and crystal together.
http://blog-imgs-51-origin.fc2.com/u/n/p/unpoco5/20120624_670_1.jpg
06-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by schufosi777 Quote
"Page not found."
06-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #40
Veteran Member

From Tokyo's Yodobashi Camera display:

Huge differences in finishes and have to admit that I prefer the "Silky".
The "Crystal" really are shiny and pick up all reflections, some colours more than others, take the black for example.

All of these cameras are just dummy models.
On the Pentax display, there is only the Q and K-01; no K-5.
I imagine a working K-30 will be on display in the next few days.

Still, the K-30 feels very good in the hands.
The grip is nice and the body seems well-made and not too plasticky.
06-25-2012, 12:59 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Yep, yep, the olive one is the clear winner. The silky one looks the real business.

So how can people not in Japan acquire one of these non white/blue/black versions? Will they be sold elsewhere in Asia, so maybe from one of the Hong Kong online outlets?
06-25-2012, 02:30 AM   #42

Wow that purple silky looks nice. I am partial to purple. On sale here in Japan on 29th with Japanese/English menu interface options only like the K-01 which differs from the KR and K5 sold in Japan which were available with around 20 languages to choose from. I am just saying that so that people lusting after a coloured body and somehow find a way to get one shipped from Japan realise the menus will be in Japanese or English only.
06-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #43
JPT
Pentaxian

I also saw the non-funtional K-30s in another branch of Yodobashi the other day. Mickey's pictures show the difference quite clearly. I actually thought the paler colours looked better in crystal (like the orange one) but the darker ones looked better in silky (like the green one and the burgundy one). I really don't like shiny black thinks because they show up fingerprint marks. I personally like the crystal yellow, crystal red, silky green and silky silver (looks grey). I'm a bit surprised they didn't make pink.

Just to clarify, there is no silky black for two reasons: "Silky Black" is a brand of canned coffee over here, and the standard black one is actually not the same finish as the silky ones. The surface is speckled just like the K20D, while the silky ones have different, smoother look to the surface.

About the K-5, I have been to a couple of shops where they had no more K-5s this week. The staff said they wouldn't be any more deliveries but had not heard about a successor. One of them said they had sold out much more quickly than they expected.
06-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Tooootally going for silky finish on the black one.

But will definitely go for crystal on the blue.

Choice choices
06-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #45
Veteran Member

The Silky Olive looks tough, like military grade.