Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax K-30: Cyrstal or Silky?

The Japanese colour choices include two different surface options.

Name:  crystal-silky.jpg
Views: 8396
Size:  58.1 KB

05-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #2

That's quite interesting. Now that they have a shiny version, I wonder if they tried to make it look like an expensive sports car.
05-29-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Huh thats.. well, interesting. When I think of camera paint-jobs I usually don't think about "shiny or silky". Usually you'd think about color and patterns first.. But ok, cool. Wonder what else will be available in Japan
05-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

A bit dull. If these were designed in other times and places, we might see options like METALFLAKE CANDY APPLE GREEN or MAPLE SUNBURST FLARE or MIRRORED POLKADOT.

05-29-2012, 04:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not one to get hung up on the looks of my camera, but I gotta say that's pretty cool. Not a fan of the yellow, tho. Ick.
05-29-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm having trouble visualizing the choices. Is my white K-x silky or shiny?

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
A bit dull. If these were designed in other times and places, we might see options like METALFLAKE CANDY APPLE GREEN or MAPLE SUNBURST FLARE or MIRRORED POLKADOT.
Camera colours have a long way to go to catch up with cars.
05-29-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Gotta say though the blood red i saw (which must have been crystal) would fall in this category, i would have painted my GTO that colour - like a dark candy apple red)

05-29-2012, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Not a fan of the yellow, tho. Ick.
I've owned a yellow & black sports car and a yellow walkman. A yellow camera looks good to me, but I probably wouldn't buy one.

In audio, yellow has become synonymous with water-resistant. It makes a statement. Some people were annoyed that the K-01 carried the WR colour, but no seals.

Last edited by audiobomber; 05-29-2012 at 06:23 AM.
05-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The red is fine.
More the shade of the limited 645D than the red of a k-x.
05-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #10

Or maybe even this insanity. ;-/

P.S. I've been a steadfast Mac user (and outspoken, constructive critic) since April 1988.
05-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Camera colours have a long way to go to catch up with cars.
You are probably correct, but as I just now wrote in another thread:
Since I first saw the two new K-30 models I have been saying that it looks as if Pentax has finally -- wisely -- decided to imitate automobile colors instead of PlaySkool colors.
P.S. Way back in the old days (1980-1983), I worked in an auto-parts dealership. One of my (least favorite) jobs was to mix -- to precise specifications -- automobile paint. As such, I got to see those colors very closeup and personal. As I say, you are probably right: Pentax probably does have a ways to go to catch up with cars, but they are certainly on the right track now.

Last edited by Welfl; 05-29-2012 at 08:20 AM.
05-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #12

Didn't Henry Ford once say, "you can have ANY color you like as long as it"s black." ?
05-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by jcamero Quote
Didn't Henry Ford once say, "you can have ANY color you like as long as it"s black." ?
You bring up another point that I was discussing with someone recently. I wanted his opinion of which K-30 color to pick: Blue or Black (although I actually like the white one too). The blue one is proving to be very hard to resist; however, I fear it might be a "trendy" color, and may, therefore, someday look very dated -- or not. Traditional black seems never to get old and is, by default, the more "professional-looking" color (will the K-5's replacement come in colors other than black and silver? it's hard to imagine, but one never knows in this increasingly "almost anything goes" day and age).

In short, I'm having a heck of a time making up my mind. I presently intend to play it safe and go with black (after all, I want to buy one to take pictures, not to stare at the camera itself). But playing it safe seems to be a rather dull prospect when the alternative is so attractive. Why on earth did Pentax have to make an otherwise easy decision much harder than it should have been?

I am reminded of the following old TV commercial, except the people in it get to have both for the price of one.

05-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If you dont like the colors of K-30, just buy the black. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy the colors one
Pentax just do some good marketing to offer choice to peoples who dont want black
05-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, here's my 2 cents. I have a red K-x, but if I hadn't, I would have bought a yellow K-01 or a blue/white K30. There's no reason not to, it's quite different and it stands out, and it's silly to be afraid that it'll look dated. After all 90% or more of all DSLRs are black, it's boring already, why are people so conservative?!