Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm having trouble visualizing the choices. Is my white K-x silky or shiny?
Agreed. Now that we have good pictures, though, It would seem that the K-x was less shiny than the crystal, but the "silky" finish looks positively matte. Personally, I think the crystal is WAY too shiny, and the matte, while it looks nice, is going to gloss up with the oils and friction of being handled.

As much as I love the way matte-finished things look, I've had a matte-finish guitar, and it turned a kind of sickly glossy wherever my arms rested. And for the strong of stomach, look what happens after a couple months of usage on a matte-black macbook: Ugh

No matter what kind of next-gen plastic finish they use, I'm afraid something you grip with your hands (even if you wash your hands before using it), and put up to your face is going to get sebaceous gland oil on it. That can be wiped off, but over time, any friction will polish the matte texture off to a semi-gloss. That includes friction of your hands on the plastic, not to mention the microfiber cloth you'll have to wipe it down with because of the aforementioned oils.

Personally, when I show up to a paying photo gig with my white camera (especially with my big black lens and/or flash), I feel like it doesn't look super professional, plus it looks a little patchy. I just don't like the way it looks any more. I'm really looking forward to having a black camera when I get either the K-5 or the K-30.

Interestingly, if you look at the press images of US-spec K-30's, the black one looks like the typical texture:

And the white one looks like the same not-so-glossy finish we've had on the K-x and K-r.

06-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #47
Veteran Member

The Orange Silky reminds me of a British claymation character called Morph:

The Black Crystal would suit Darth Vader!
06-25-2012, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #48

Still nothing at Deodeo and Kojima in Kitakyushu. Pentax I cycled a long way to see the K-30. Bic Camera is one hours hard cycling away so might try there. Pentax certainly is the camera for adventurers and explorers. You have to be one to find one.
06-26-2012, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are the photos I posted showing up for eveyone?
I linked them from tinypic, but when I checked this thread on the PC at work they didn't show.
I can see them at home.

06-26-2012, 02:22 AM   #50

The ones from Yodabashi yesterday? They are showing up just fine on my PC. Wish the other stores had the K-30 on display like that.
06-26-2012, 05:06 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Are the photos I posted showing up for eveyone?
I linked them from tinypic, but when I checked this thread on the PC at work they didn't show.
I can see them at home.
Perfect. Many thanks for posting them.
06-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Ah, ok. Good.
I'll try and get some photos of all the colourways for comparison in the next day or 2.

06-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #53
Forum Member

it would be great if it comes in camo
06-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #54

Silky orange one would really look nice next to our new Kuka robot (KUKA youBot Store)
06-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@ mickey

Maybe the browser of your computer at work is configured to automatically use a secure connection, if offered by the website.

The homepage of this forum also has an address with https protocol, but in this mode does only support forum features.
Pictures sometimes do not show, and for a couple of other items you need to have your own certificate signed.

As far as I know, externally stored pictures may not show. You must use the http protocol to see them.

EDIT: Adam had a thread about the subject. I think it was called "HTTPS now supported"

Last edited by RKKS08; 06-26-2012 at 03:12 PM.
06-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #56
Veteran Member

^ Yeah, thanks mate.
A lot of social media sites are blocked at work and google, yahoo, photobucket and the like.
I don't post photos from work, but was wondering why tinypic links didn't show.
Not too much of a problem as everything is fine to see at home.
06-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #57
Veteran Member

The rest of the photos:

06-27-2012, 02:50 AM   #58
Veteran Member

And finally:

06-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They're all great but I particularly like the dark cherry red crystal and the crystals in dark olive and dark violet. I want that dark cherry red. That had better be on Amazon when I go to order mine, sigh...ME WANT....and I can't afford to import one....
06-27-2012, 03:13 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks Mickey. The silky versions do look quite shiny from this higher angle. The olive one especially looks lighter green than it does in your previous pic. Even so I still lean towards that one being my preference. The observations about the grey one are spot on, it does look quite good. Not faux silver or metallic, but grey in its own right.