Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by toukan Quote
Then I guess the flip side of my question is whether focus peaking or any of the other supposed improvements of the K-30 can be add to the K-5 via a firmware update? thanks again for your comments.
It's all firmware, it comes down to highlighting high contrast area's something the Prime II should be able to do.

07-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #137
Forum Member

I honestly don't get the point of the K30 or where in the Pentax lineup its supposed to fit into. I get that Pentax is targeting the more consumer level with a rugged camera but put alongside all the prosumer dslrs like K7/K5 there doesn't seem to be much difference.

At most, its gussied up and toned down. If I didn't already own a Pentax though I could see myself wanting one but after a little research, the K5 still seems like a better choice.

I guess if anything its setting the entry benchmark for future DSLRS with it essentially being a low cost K5. So hopefully Pentax does some wow worthy stuff in the next year or so.
07-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #138
Veteran Member

K5 has much more buttons and a magnesium body, in a way the K30 will replace the K5 and take and it should be able to take on the D7000 and 60D if you look at specs and features. the k5 is end off life and no new ones are make at the moment. Later this year a new camera placed higher then the K5 will come, think like 7D and D300s.
07-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
K5 has much more buttons and a magnesium body, in a way the K30 will replace the K5 and take and it should be able to take on the D7000 and 60D if you look at specs and features. the k5 is end off life and no new ones are make at the moment. Later this year a new camera placed higher then the K5 will come, think like 7D and D300s.
If the K-5 drops in price after the release of the K-3, and the K-30 is still up in price, there is absolutely no way in hell can I see the K-30 sell. For the price of the K-5 and the K-30 right now, K-5 is a far much better deal despite the K-30 having better AF and video but most will use DSLR to take pictures. The K-5 is magnesium alloy, easier to access and change settings with more buttons, and top LCD. It's like when they released the 5DMK3 and the 5DMK2 absolutely swamped the sales of the 7D, at 1800 for a 5DMK2 and 1500 for a 7D, they had to move the 5DMK2 price up to 2100. I would imagine the K-5 doing the same pricing it at 1000 while 1400 for the K-3 and 850 for the K-30.

07-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #140
Veteran Member

Like said the K5 is already end off life and out of production, they are simply clearing the storage now.
So i doubt that over 3 months you will see much if any K5's in stores.

And the K5 is really at his lowest price now while the just introduced K30 will probably settle in price nicely most likely just under the K5 this month and dropping lower around Christmas again. I wouldnt worry about that.
07-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #141
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, here is why I am leaning towards getting a K-30 and not a K-5. Believe it or not, improved AF (if that is indeed the case) is pretty important. From what I've read, the K-5 has issues in low light. Coming from a K-r, I'd really like my next camera to have improved AF, not some of the same old problems.

And that brings about the idea of an upgrade. Those of you who already might have a K-5 or K-7 or whatever high end cameras Pentax has had in the past, might not understand this, but for entry-level users (K-r/K-x), many of us don't really care about a top LCD since we've never used one. The idea of dual e-dials is quite intriguing, as I can clearly see the benefit there. There are more buttons available for direct access to controls than the K-r. So, for us, this is an upgrade with some improvements (better AF/focus peaking/IQ/high ISO performance).

I believe the K-30 is the first weather sealed DSLR under $1000. That's pretty cool. The image quality is expected to approach the K-5's, even if it's not exactly the same. All this for $850, and that price will no doubt fall as the months pass.

By comparison, the K-5 is a heavier camera. Some people like me don't like lugging all that around. Your camera can be the greatest picture-taking machine ever invented, but if it's uncomfortable to use, you won't want to carry it around.

I see quite a bit of buzz over the K-30, certainly more than for the Q or K-01. Let's see if the reviews are positive. If I see good reviews and positive forum reports, I'll be buying one and I bet lots of other people will, too.

Edited to add: Another plus for the K-30 -- it uses AA batteries. Since I already think the K-5 is too heavy, I would not be interested in a grip. So, being able to use rechargeable AA's or lithium AA's in the K-30 is a real plus.

Last edited by loco; 07-05-2012 at 06:44 PM.
07-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #142
Veteran Member

Have the external flash problems with the K5 been resolved with the K30?

07-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Have the external flash problems with the K5 been resolved with the K30?
What kind of external flash problems within the K-5?
07-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
What kind of external flash problems within the K-5?
I believe this is the overexposure when using TTL?
07-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #145
Veteran Member

Overexposure with bounce flash
07-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Overexposure with bounce flash
Never had that problem, but i use my camera on M mode when using the flash.
07-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Never had that problem, but i use my camera on M mode when using the flash.
Agreed. I shoot manual most of the time, and now that I have an AF Assist lamp, I really don't see the need to have a P-TTL flash. I've never had good success with letting the camera and flash decide how much light to give. Much easier to go manual.
07-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #148
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
Agreed. I shoot manual most of the time, and now that I have an AF Assist lamp, I really don't see the need to have a P-TTL flash. I've never had good success with letting the camera and flash decide how much light to give. Much easier to go manual.
That's great but that doesn't answer the question..
07-07-2012, 03:03 AM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That's great but that doesn't answer the question..
Automatic camera mode (certainly auto iso) never go hand in hand with P-TTL i doubt magical improves with the K30.
Sticking with manual camera mode with P-TTL flash is the easiest way and you've automatic exposure because the flash does fills in the rest of the light you need so it's easy to use.
07-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #150

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
The K-5 is magnesium alloy, easier to access and change settings with more buttons, and top LCD.
My K20D has the same construction as the K30 (polycarbonate shell over an alloy frame), and it's always seemed perfectly solid to me. I would probably miss the top LCD though. And the AF mode selector. And the metering mode selector.