Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What about the PC Sync Port? And the External Mic Jack? And the grip compatibility?

07-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #152
Veteran Member

external mic is well a point but not that big of a deal, if you're serious about filming then external recorder is a must at the moment.
I actually hope they will focus on giving the K3 a very clean video out signal and just keep video very basic in the camera for the rest, with a good video out that whole system becomes double as potent when it comes to video.
Also it will not clutter the menu with video option so much, something most will like
07-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
What about the PC Sync Port? And the External Mic Jack? And the grip compatibility?
Practically speaking, how many people still use the PC Sync port nowadays? Most people triggering external strobe units in the studio have switched to wireless transmitters a long time ago (no cables to trip over and cable length limitations). Sure an external mic jack is useful but serious video shooters would record ambient sound separate from the camera. A camera grip does offer a better grip shooting vertically and balance with longer lenses and extended battery capacity but it adds nothing to increased fps and adds to overall size and weight.

Why I think the K-30 is "better" than the K-5 at this juncture is that it offers much of the features of the K-5/K-r/K-01 combined at an attractive price point and interesting color options. Speaking as one of the earliest people to own a K-5, the K-5 is a terrific camera... but it is already long in the tooth with technology that is almost 2 years old. That's a long time in electronics.

Late K-5 adopters will find it a new experience especially if they have been coming from their already discontinued older Pentax DSLRs. Having tried the K-30 recently, if I wasn't already a K-5 user, the K-30 would be a no-brainer buy imo because most of the essential features are there and more. But of course everyone is different and some will be drawn to the K-5 because it is now within affordable reach. As for me, I'm already ready to retire my K-5 and waiting for its successor.
07-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #154
Veteran Member

I definitely hear you . . . but coming from a K-x, I know that even if the K-5's AF has a flaw, it's miles better than what I'm used to. I actually had opportunity to use a sync cable at a friend's studio the other day, and instead I had to use optical trigger, which only set off one of two of the lights. I also do some video work that would be nice to get a cheap lavalier mic with but not have to involve a digital interface and a PC or an expensive Zoom or something. Easier to edit.

More than that, though, I I'm going to need to use this camera for the next three years, and the metal body is important to me. About a year ago, my K-x slid off a chair less than 2 feet from my wood floor, and it caused a stress crack on the upper case. I won't be able to afford the K-3, and many of the hands-on reports from forumites who have handled the K-30 say the K-5's build quality is higher.

07-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #155
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Trying to make a long story short......I currently own and love a K-5. Used to have a K20D which was great but sold it to help fund the K-5. Then for a while I had a K-x as a backup/second body which also served its purpose very well, but ended up selling it a couple months ago.

Now as it turns out, I made the decision today that I want a second body again, but what to do......another k-5 or the new K-30....?

After my due research, I went with what I know and just ordered a K-5 at a great price before they are all gone. Not that I wouldn't have enjoyed the new K-30, but there is something to say about the sound of the shutter of the K-5!

Thanks to everyone for posting their thoughts and opinions on the 2 cameras - very helpful in making my decision.
07-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #156
Site Supporter

The K30 is the camera I wish they produced earlier.
Lighter, weather sealed with advanced amateur interface (2 scroll wheels; buttons, features).
I never endeavor to drop my cameras (never did drop my camera since SLR days), so mag alloy body isn't that important to me.
K30 being lighter while keeping all the important features essential for the creature comfort and fast usage for the advanced amateur is ideal for the travelling photographer.

I'd bank on the improved AF on the K30 too, in optimism that things can only improve from where they already are from K5 (which was a big step up from previous models)
07-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #157
Pentaxian

I would say the one thing that stands out on the K-30 that would be the dealbreaker over the K-5 despite the differences that makes the K-5 supposedly better is the autofocus. That's right, low-light af and af.c has plagued Pentax for years and have been at least 1.5 to 2 generations behind Canikon in terms of AF. Both Pentax silent-in-lens focusing motor speeds and camera bodies ability to lock focus in low-light and in AF.C is a terrible combination to have in getting the right shot at the right time in quickly needed situations, and is not even close to the same league as Canikon at all. A couple of K-30 tests from users on this forum and reviews have given me a bright look upon Pentax's future in improving in these areas, despite just bought a K-5, I am planning to keep the K-5 for at least 2.5 - 3 years and by the time I replace it with a K-whatever, all will be there for me. I however do appreciate having to use more luck and mainly more skill in order to keep up with getting good in-focus shots that'll easily be produced by Canikon caliber AF. Maybe when I switch my K-5 body out in a couple of years to a new K, I'll combine my added experience with new AF technology to capture needed photos to a new level.
07-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #158
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I would say the one thing that stands out on the K-30 that would be the dealbreaker over the K-5 despite the differences that makes the K-5 supposedly better is the autofocus. That's right, low-light af and af.c has plagued Pentax for years and have been at least 1.5 to 2 generations behind Canikon in terms of AF. Both Pentax silent-in-lens focusing motor speeds and camera bodies ability to lock focus in low-light and in AF.C is a terrible combination to have in getting the right shot at the right time in quickly needed situations, and is not even close to the same league as Canikon at all. A couple of K-30 tests from users on this forum and reviews have given me a bright look upon Pentax's future in improving in these areas, despite just bought a K-5, I am planning to keep the K-5 for at least 2.5 - 3 years and by the time I replace it with a K-whatever, all will be there for me. I however do appreciate having to use more luck and mainly more skill in order to keep up with getting good in-focus shots that'll easily be produced by Canikon caliber AF. Maybe when I switch my K-5 body out in a couple of years to a new K, I'll combine my added experience with new AF technology to capture needed photos to a new level.
It definitely will help you Le Dave. Enjoy your camera over the next few years

07-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #159
Veteran Member

For everything in motion the K-30 just may be better.. but shooting mainly landscape I would still opt for the K-5 for it's Dynamic Range... that and it's solid and could be used as a self defense weapon.
07-09-2012, 03:33 AM   #160
Veteran Member

I cannot detect a difference in feel between the K30 and K5, having handled both this morning.

Apart from the K30 being lighter, which I see as a plus!
07-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #161
Pentaxian

oh boy, I still love my K-r, but I simply love the WR, I just need to wait more reviews in order to decide which is which.
07-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #162
Site Supporter

I have tried both (here in Japan) and opted for the Orange K-30. I currently have a K20D, so there is a major step up for me. In reading this, I keep hearing everyone going on and on about the tech behind the camera to minute details, but I must ask myself -- are there people out there that are so great at photography that they can 100% push the limits of the tech in a body or lens to the point where the problems with every picture they take is 100% camera and no human error? If there are, damn...

As for video, I can't recall when I took a video using my camera.... I usually pull out a dedicated video camera for that.
07-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tkj365 Quote
I have tried both (here in Japan) and opted for the Orange K-30. I currently have a K20D, so there is a major step up for me. In reading this, I keep hearing everyone going on and on about the tech behind the camera to minute details, but I must ask myself -- are there people out there that are so great at photography that they can 100% push the limits of the tech in a body or lens to the point where the problems with every picture they take is 100% camera and no human error? If there are, damn...

As for video, I can't recall when I took a video using my camera.... I usually pull out a dedicated video camera for that.
I think they need a better camera so that the camera does do more of the work for them and because of that it takes better pictures
07-10-2012, 02:29 AM   #164
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tkj365 Quote

The central feature that made me move from K20D to K-30 was higher ISO, it doesn't take any photographer skill to find yourself in a dim scenario wishing for a better sensor All the other stuff is nice to have, of course.
07-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #165
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote
The central feature that made me move from K20D to K-30 was higher ISO, it doesn't take any photographer skill to find yourself in a dim scenario wishing for a better sensor All the other stuff is nice to have, of course.
Which is... Exactly why I am switching from my K20D to the K-30!!!